Tips on being a cheap piece of shit

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mist has derailed another thread to make it about himself.

Considering this is a keg thread....sidegrade?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nothing works like that.

A) I've met my current supervisor twice and only by accident. He's been fulltime remote the entire time I've worked here. I've been remote since November.
B) My supervisor doesn't work on the same shift as me. I work nights and weekends, he works during the normal business day, managing all the rest of the senior engineers. Our interactions are incredibly minimal.
C) We have these stupid things called workflow managers who can assign you unlimited amounts of work even though they're not your boss, and their boss isn't in my chain of command either. Since I am the senior technical resource on my shift, anything even remotely difficult gets assigned to me. Anything I can't finish, either due to time constraints or technical limitations, needs a lengthy writeup recommending next steps, which technical resources it should get assigned to on the following business day, etc.
D) Most of the stuff I write up on a Sunday or Monday night then just sits around all week, doesn't get assigned out to anyone, and ends up coming back to me on Friday (my 'Monday') so what's even the fucking point? Might as well just chip away at it on my days off.

No, fulfill your hours, then put the work aside. If it's still there, waiting for you when you go back, then do it then. On your days off you should be doing things that give you joy, refresh you, and aren't work related. Go for a walk in a park. Visit with friends. Get dinner in a fancy place. Jerk off in the library. Join a book or wine club. You know, the things everyone does.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

never eat fast food.
my cheapness, sm ziplock of dry cereal, 2 p&j sandwiches and 2 sm ziplocks of pretzels is enough when i am on the go all day. like a $1.25
extreme cheapness, went on a week long trip, ate the above along with 6 cans of beans and a bag of corn chips. less than $2.50 per day.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Once this other job gets finalized, I'll leave politely, let them cash out all the vacation time they owe me, then once that check clears I'll send a demand letter for the 5200 dollars in back overtime they owe me.
If the company policy is not to work overtime without supervisor approval I’m not so sure this goes your way unless you have documented explicit requests from them to do the overtime work.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If the company policy is not to work overtime without supervisor approval I’m not so sure this goes your way unless you have documented explicit requests from them to do the overtime work.
My supervisor doesn't work on the same shift as me. A different "manager" (workflow managers have no direct reports, aren't really managers) assigns me new work on my shift (generally tickets that are breaching that didn't get assigned during the daytime hours) in addition to work I already have from my own supervisor+manager+team queue, longer term projects, deliverables, etc. The workflow manager's sole job is to keep tickets from breaching, so they will frequently assign me work even from other engineering teams (that support different products.) I inform that manager that the additional work will keep me late. He tells me to work it out with my supervisor. My supervisor tells me to delete the hours so he can sign my timesheet, on a nebulous promise of comp time sometime in the future (illegal, only municipalities and non-profits can give comp time to hourly employees.)

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
My supervisor doesn't work on the same shift as me. A different "manager" (workflow managers have no direct reports, aren't really managers) assigns me new work on my shift (generally tickets that are breaching that didn't get assigned during the daytime hours) in addition to work I already have from my own supervisor+manager+team queue, longer term projects, deliverables, etc. The workflow manager's sole job is to keep tickets from breaching, so they will frequently assign me work even from other engineering teams (that support different products.) I inform that manager that the additional work will keep me late. He tells me to work it out with my supervisor. My supervisor tells me to delete the hours so he can sign my timesheet, on a nebulous promise of comp time sometime in the future (illegal, only municipalities and non-profits can give comp time to hourly employees.)

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Before quitting I would suggest going to the supervisor with the amount of comp time and asking them to pay it out or convert it into vacation. That strengthens your case if it goes to court and may get you your money without a legal battle (unlikely the way you described the company though).

Avoid the coasts. Pro-tip: the Great Lake states have shorelines on the Great Lakes. If you pick your future cheep home right, this can even happen

You can become a Browns fan

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
live well through depreciation. dont buy a new car, buy a good used car you like and just maintain it. dont pay retail for anything. wait for sales or just buy them second hand. learn how to haggle. dont steal, but dont be ashamed to take advantage of something you see put out for the trash. i got a nice patio table once because my neighbor said it was junk and was gonna throw it away. i said i'll take it off your hands and when i got it. all it needed was some white paint and a few bolts had come loose. had that table for almost 20 years now. and shop at Aldi. that place has good stuff for cheap.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No, fulfill your hours, then put the work aside. If it's still there, waiting for you when you go back, then do it then. On your days off you should be doing things that give you joy, refresh you, and aren't work related. Go for a walk in a park. Visit with friends. Get dinner in a fancy place. Jerk off in the library. Join a book or wine club. You know, the things everyone does.
you havent been following The Chronicles of Mist, have you? let me catch you up. middle aged single woman. too old to have children, no family, no friends, no pets. lives in Rhode Island. hates everyone and everything. works nonstop for reasons. likes Magic: The Gathering.

you are now here.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
all it needed was some white paint and a few bolts had come loose. had that table for almost 20 years now. and shop at Aldi. that place has good stuff for cheap.

I hope someone less lazy then me starts buying basic consumer stuff and distributes it in the cheapest way possible.

I am 100% certain a single person can buy enough kitchen towels or socks to make this work while undercutting every shop in the US / EU.

4.97$ for 3 pairs

vs

4.45$ for 5 pairs

That consumer price difference.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
you havent been following The Chronicles of Mist, have you? let me catch you up. middle aged single woman. too old to have children, no family, no friends, no pets. lives in Rhode Island. hates everyone and everything. works nonstop for reasons. likes Magic: The Gathering.

you are now here.

tldr

hateful incel

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

you are now here.

I have. I'm the eternal optimist that if someone bitches about their situation, they want to hear solutions for how to fix it. You forgot to mention that Mist is a self-sadist.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

Goatface

I am 100% certain a single person can buy enough kitchen towels or socks to make this work while undercutting every shop in the US / EU.

4.97$ for 3 pairs

locally, best time to buy socks and underwear at walmart is before school starts on our tax-free day. they have bins of them with bonus packs mixed in. the kids section is like a mini black Friday lol
local flea markets are loaded with cheap socks, but i have never paid attention to them. from time to time, they do have 2nds of "military" t-shirts for like $1-2 which are great to work in, if the vendor lets you pick through them.

1) Buy an old "uncool" car that any mechanic can work on with ease. 1975 Dodge Dart with a slant 6. That slant 6 does 300k with common sense upkeep. Plus, it is 2 tons of steel, and today's cars bounce off it. That's always a chuckle to realize someone banged into your front bumper because they tried to turn left from the left lane, and in inspecting the damage their entire side is caved in, and I think my bumper got shoved in about 3 or 4 inches. Steel. Ride it.

2) learn to fucking cook basic decent food.

3) free time > stuff.

4) get rid of the credit cards. Figure it out. Just do it.

5) If you plan on needing to use something often over the months and years, either buy a piece of crap you always replace, or something that has a superb warranty and is built like a tank. Don't half-ass major purchases. If possible, buy all essential gear once. Quality exists.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
1) Buy an old "uncool" car
BarrenOblongKoi-size_restricted.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
he's right. unless you're 20 years old and trying to get laid and its the 1950s, that "cool" car aint doing shit for you. i have an almost 30 yr old convertible which is really only cool to me and only cool to others when the top is down. american made., cheap parts from Autozone. easy to repair. will run forever. i buy grandma appliances when i can. that old General Electric stuff from the 60s. not microwaves though. you want newer because the old stuff wasnt very powerful even though they last forever.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have to enjoy life to enjoy time off. I don't believe your (very good) plan would work for her.

True but what's cause and effect here? Working 48 hours a week for a bunch of money you don't need (or are not even getting) isn't going to make anyone happy.

ontopic: don't drive a 1975 Dodge Dart and save on funeral costs when you get t-boned by Jessica driving daddy's Q5 with her phone on the steering wheel.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike