Tool might eventually release a new album someday

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Teens and pre-teens covering 46 and 2... incredibly well. I bet the drummer is gonna be touring professionally before too long.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's some pro production. Rich kids.

That girl needs some dynamic range! And the piano was completely useless. Must be the daughter of the person who owns the studio.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's some pro production. Rich kids.

That girl needs some dynamic range! And the piano was completely useless. Must be the daughter of the person who owns the studio.
YEah the girl has pitch problems as well. Also agree on the piano, replace that with a Korg synth and then you have something.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of TOOL, this thread is full of them. Jesus Christ.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Too much of their attraction comes from the very Maynard-specific vocal style. The guitar/drum sound is fairly unique, even if emulated in other acts. But it really comes down to Maynard's vocals that really bring the "tool" sound together. Said it before and I'll say it again, man has the most easily recognizable voice in modern rock/metal if you are even moderately familiar with any of his related acts. It just stands out so much more than most other vocalists.

The kids really had the sound down right until the vocals, then it went south. Musically they had it, but it is an entirely different animal to cover the vocals.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
dunno I always thought that guy from Earshot sounded exactly like him, that one song that's the only one anyone's ever heard of by them anyway

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Too much of their attraction comes from the very Maynard-specific vocal style. The guitar/drum sound is fairly unique, even if emulated in other acts. But it really comes down to Maynard's vocals that really bring the "tool" sound together. Said it before and I'll say it again, man has the most easily recognizable voice in modern rock/metal if you are even moderately familiar with any of his related acts. It just stands out so much more than most other vocalists.
Meh, it's pretty clear that too much ofyourattraction is to Maynard's vocals. Tool with a different singer would still be a world class band, but Maynard without a group of remarkably creative and talented musicians is significantly less in-demand by all metrics (other than, like, your opinion, man).

The kids really had the sound down right until the vocals, then it went south. Musically they had it, but it is an entirely different animal to cover the vocals.
I've been able to play the guitar and bass parts of 46 & 2 better than these kids for at least 16 years. I'm not saying that in the sense that "I'm better than a bunch of kids," because I wasn't as good as they are at their age. I'm saying it in the sense that "I'm an infinitely better judge of the lack of accuracy in their performance than you are, Rezz." They're really not all that good. There are a ton of things they didn't play correctly, or didn't even attempt to play at all. Even before the vocals started, they never had the performance down. The production masks some of their lack of skill, but not most of it. I promise that if you were sitting in the same room with these same kids playing through amps (and not Pro-Tools) you would only be a little impressed (but even then, mostly out of ignorance).

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Hi. I've never done anything in my life that anyone gave a shit about, but I heard some kids were having 15 minutes of fame so I guess I'd better go online and shit on them and hopefully someone will be impressed with my musical knowledge and how awesome I am at playing music according to me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A lot of what Melvin said was pretty accurate. Said in an arrogant manner, but for the most part correct.

The drummer is solid though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They did one for Dream Theater, it was pretty tight.

The little Arya wannabe did the vocals for that one too. The drummers from this place are all pretty fucking amazing, idk wtf they're feeding them.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You apparently missed the part where I said that the kids are better at their age than I was at their age. Yeah, I criticized them, because they have a lot of things to learn about musicianship. They have a lot of time to learn it too.

The point that I was aiming for was that Rezz is a god-awful judge of musical ability, and in a couple sentences...

...he's managed to display that he has almost zero understanding of the difference between world class musicians and some kids who have more money (to pay for studio time) than talent.

Kind of like I'm currently displaying that I have basically zero tact and patience for stupidity. Got it? Are there any areas I should go over again? I can be a dick in more detail if you want, just ask.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Meh, it's pretty clear that too much ofyourattraction is to Maynard's vocals. Tool with a different singer would still be a world class band, but Maynard without a group of remarkably creative and talented musicians is significantly less in-demand by all metrics (other than, like, your opinion, man).
I think that Maynard is more of a catalyst that this gives him credit for. Your logic would also have to allow for Tool to not be able to attach themselves to a creative and talented singer to make it work which would have about zero chance of selling anything.

"I heard this great band last night but their singer was fucking awful, they sounded exactly like Tool but with really grating vocals"

Maynard without Tool consistently makes incredible music which is what draws the caliber of musicians whom he plays with. Tool without Maynard waits around for Maynard in order to release an album.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would hardly consider A Perfect Circle or Puscifer "incredible music."

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think that Maynard is more of a catalyst that this gives him credit for. Your logic would also have to allow for Tool to not be able to attach themselves to a creative and talented singer to make it work which would have about zero chance of selling anything.

"I heard this great band last night but their singer was fucking awful, they sounded exactly like Tool but with really grating vocals"

Maynard without Tool consistently makes incredible music which is what draws the caliber of musicians whom he plays with. Tool without Maynard waits around for Maynard in order to release an album.

I'm sure there's other interviews around where the guys talk about the writing and recording process, but this one is kind of telling, imo. Starting at 2:25 and going to the end of the video, you'll hear nothing about Maynard. It could be partially because of editing, but on the other hand, Danny says (when talking about the songwriting process) that they're basically a three piece. Musically speaking, Maynard does not write music for Tool. He writes lyrics and his own vocal melodies, sure, but by the time Maynard contributes the bulk of his ideas, the songs are mostly fleshed out and approaching completion. Tool without Maynard would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions with hundreds of people of all talent levels trying to be the first to sell their soul to the devil to be the next Maynard.

Don't get me wrong though. There's a damn good reason that a "band" as solidly mediocre as APC can sell as many albums, tickets, and t-shirts as they do. Maynard is a hell of a frontman. Dude's got character for eons, and it really comes through in his creative work: lyrics, live vocals, and performances. And he attracts a lot of fangirls and fanbois too, if you know what I mean.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think APC is pretty sweet personally. It always amazes me how opinionated people are when they talk about Tool or comparing Tool to Maynard's other projects.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I think APC is pretty sweet personally. It always amazes me how opinionated people are when they talk about Tool or comparing Tool to Maynard's other projects.
I think it's 2 sides of a coin for me. When I want heavy I go Tool, but often I want slow and haunting, so I throw APC on.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

I've been able to play the guitar and bass parts of 46 & 2 better than these kids for at least 16 years. I'm not saying that in the sense that "I'm better than a bunch of kids," because I wasn't as good as they are at their age. I'm saying it in the sense that "I'm an infinitely better judge of the lack of accuracy in their performance than you are, Rezz." They're really not all that good. There are a ton of things they didn't play correctly, or didn't even attempt to play at all. Even before the vocals started, they never had the performance down. The production masks some of their lack of skill, but not most of it. I promise that if you were sitting in the same room with these same kids playing through amps (and not Pro-Tools) you would only be a little impressed (but even then, mostly out of ignorance).
Or, it would be exactly as I said. It sounded like the song that Tool plays, up until the vocals that sound nothing at all like Tool came in. But! You love straw men and being a dick around that fact, so hey, more power to ya. Yes, I said they copied the song perfectly, and the only thing wrong was the vocals. Or, you know, I said "they really had the sound down right until the vocals" then "Musically they had it, but it is an entirely different animal to cover the vocals." Because they didn't try to cover the vocals, and it became 100% less Tool at that exact moment. Unless your version of Tool is specifically the instrumentation without the vocals.

You said it yourself, you couldn't play it as well as they did at their age. Yeah they missed shit, no kidding. It sure as hell -does- sound like Tool. Not a perfect copy, but you can tell what song it is almost instantly if you listen to Tool at all. The part that -doesn't- sound at all like Tool, are the vocals. Which is what I pointed out.

Did I fuck your mom recently or something to get you all retard-mode whenever I post in this thread? Honest question.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
It sure as hell -does- sound like Tool. Not a perfect copy, but you can tell what song it is almost instantly if you listen to Tool at all. The part that -doesn't- sound at all like Tool, are the vocals. Which is what I pointed out.
You can white knight those kids as much as you want, but that's not going to change the facts at all. The facts are that the kids on guitars sound just as much like Adam and Justin as the girl sounds like Maynard, i.e. only a little, and they would all sound a lot worse if they weren't being propped up by studio effects.

But again, I want to reiterate that my interest in this conversation isn't the kids as much as it is making fun of you for having such terrible ears. Do you clean them with rusty knives or broken glass or something? Have you considered using kerosene and a match? I'll help if you want.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There's no douche douchier than a music douche.