Tool might eventually release a new album someday

Seventh

Golden Squire
You can white knight those kids as much as you want, but that's not going to change the facts at all. The facts are that the kids on guitars sound just as much like Adam and Justin as the girl sounds like Maynard, i.e. only a little, and they would all sound a lot worse if they weren't being propped up by studio effects.

But again, I want to reiterate that my interest in this conversation isn't the kids as much as it is making fun of you for having such terrible ears. Do you clean them with rusty knives or broken glass or something? Have you considered using kerosene and a match? I'll help if you want.
Dude what the fuck is wrong with you? When I was that age, I was badly slopping up covers of old Metallica songs with my friends. These kids just covered the absolute fuck out of a difficult song and the only thing you can do is shit on it? If that was me at that age, or if I was a parent of any one of those kids I'd be proud as hell of that performance.

The "studio effects" are there on every single album on your MP3 player. Pick up an instrument and roll into a pro studio sometime and see just how "easy" it is to do something like this, even with a solid producer. This has nothing to do with covering the song to sound exactly like the band, it's about a bunch of young kids kicking ass.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dude what the fuck is wrong with you? When I was that age, I was badly slopping up covers of old Metallica songs with my friends. These kids just covered the absolute fuck out of a difficult song and the only thing you can do is shit on it? If that was me at that age, or if I was a parent of any one of those kids I'd be proud as hell of that performance.

The "studio effects" are there on every single album on your MP3 player. Pick up an instrument and roll into a pro studio sometime and see just how "easy" it is to do something like this, even with a solid producer. This has nothing to do with covering the song to sound exactly like the band, it's about a bunch of young kids kicking ass.
I didn't start really getting into Tool until Aenima, and by that time I had also been playing Metallica for a couple years, so I really don't understand why you think 46 & 2 is harder to play than old school Metallica. And again, I'm NOT shitting on a bunch of kids who are doing a pretty good job FOR A BUNCH OF KIDS. I'd be more impressed by a bunch of kids either playing something really difficult (like, for example, classical music that kids have been forced against their will to learn for the last couple hundred years), or playing something really well. But these kids did neither. They did something pretty cool, sure, but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill, please.

And lol, you think I would complain about cheesy over-production if it was on every album I own? Seriously? Lol.

Ever since I mentioned that I can play better than these kids, I've been half-way expecting someone to "call my bluff," and I think you're probably going to be the closest to doing that. I might roll the dice and run my amp on 2 out of 4 tubes and hope it doesn't catch on fire while I'm playing some time this weekend.
wink.png

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Ever since I mentioned that I can play better than these kids, I've been half-way expecting someone to "call my bluff," and I think you're probably going to be the closest to doing that. I might roll the dice and run my amp on 2 out of 4 tubes and hope it doesn't catch on fire while I'm playing some time this weekend.
wink.png
I don't think anyone brought it up, because why would they care?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's basically the point I've been making for a while too. Whywouldanyone care about someone doing a not very impressive Tool cover?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
OMG SHE SOUNDS JUST EXACTLY LIKE BEETHOVEN ITS REALLY HIM REINCARNATED OMG

THANKS OBAMA!!!!

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I love Tool, I love APC, and I think those kids did a very impressive cover of 46 & 2.

As to the merits of the performance itself, I think Melvin is confusing a cover with a mimic. The entire point to covering songs is not to perform them as the original artist did, but to add (or subtract) and make that performance theirs. This is about imitation verses re-creation. Not even Tool themselves play every single version of 46 & 2 the same way as the studio version.

If you're a musician, you can appreciate how much work it would have taken to perform that song at that level. As these kids are only students at a music academy, how long will it take them to create their own original songs as good, or better than the likes of Tool?

Now, if you're just a jealous cunt, sure, they could have been better and don't deserve the youtube bandwidth, and I should feel bad about saying "I liked it".

You have 14 days to find other musos that want to perform this song, produce it, video it, and upload it to youtube for dissection of your musical talent and training.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love Tool, I love APC, and I think those kids did a very impressive cover of 46 & 2.

As to the merits of the performance itself, I think Melvin is confusing a cover with a mimic. The entire point to covering songs is not to perform them as the original artist did, but to add (or subtract) and make that performance theirs. This is about imitation verses re-creation. Not even Tool themselves play every single version of 46 & 2 the same way as the studio version.

If you're a musician, you can appreciate how much work it would have taken to perform that song at that level. As these kids are only students at a music academy, how long will it take them to create their own original songs as good, or better than the likes of Tool?

Now, if you're just a jealous cunt, sure, they could have been better and don't deserve the youtube bandwidth, and I should feel bad about saying "I liked it".

You have 14 days to find other musos that want to perform this song, produce it, video it, and upload it to youtube for dissection of your musical talent and training.
NOTSUREIFTROLLINGORJUSTFUCKINGSTUPID.gif

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Quick man, start backpedalling and pointing fingers at other people. Forget about addressing the problem, just take a shit on someones lawn and call it done.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I didn't start really getting into Tool until Aenima, and by that time I had also been playing Metallica for a couple years, so I really don't understand why you think 46 & 2 is harder to play than old school Metallica. And again, I'm NOT shitting on a bunch of kids who are doing a pretty good job FOR A BUNCH OF KIDS. I'd be more impressed by a bunch of kids either playing something really difficult (like, for example, classical music that kids have been forced against their will to learn for the last couple hundred years), or playing something really well. But these kids did neither. They did something pretty cool, sure, but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill, please.

And lol, you think I would complain about cheesy over-production if it was on every album I own? Seriously? Lol.

wink.png
There's really not much else to say here that hasn't already been said man.

Man Tool fans are fucking obnoxious.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's really not much else to say here that hasn't already been said man.
I know, right? All these fuckin' naggers coming in here clearly not knowing jack about shit, talking like they're A&R scouts at fuckin' major labels, slobbering all over some kids dance recital has been rustling my jimmies something fierce.

Can you imagine people this stupid posting in a thread about Nolan Ryan, and someone comes in with a youtube video of a high school kid striking another high school kid out with 55 mph fastballs and everyone goes fucking nuts about how "talented" the kid is?

Seriously, if you don't know shit about music, just admit it. Nobody should ever feel bad about saying "I don't know much about music, but I know what I like, and I like this." Nobody should be ashamed to admit that. But when you try to put someone up on a pedestal who is doing absolutely nothing special, that's something that you should stop doing.

If you want to learn a little bit about music that these kids haven't learned yet, let me suggest these topics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulation_(music)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(music)
Can you personally pick up an electric guitar and play the 46 & 2 intro piano staccato palm muted? I can. Adam Jones can. That's just one example of a very real thing that these kids can't do yet.

I'f I had time, I'd give them half-hearted compliments about their:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_...sical_phrasing
because clearly their coach has been teaching them mostly correct (albeit dumbed down) phrasing. But I really need to get to work.

Seriously, if you want to learn things about subjects you know jack shit about, all you have to do is ask questions instead of running your mouth like you're not completely ignorant. You'll get a much better response, I promise.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I know, right? All these fuckin' naggers coming in here clearly not knowing jack about shit, talking like they're A&R scouts at fuckin' major labels, slobbering all over some kids dance recital has been rustling my jimmies something fierce.

Can you imagine people this stupid posting in a thread about Nolan Ryan, and someone comes in with a youtube video of a high school kid striking another high school kid out with 55 mph fastballs and everyone goes fucking nuts about how "talented" the kid is?

Seriously, if you don't know shit about music, just admit it. Nobody should ever feel bad about saying "I don't know much about music, but I know what I like, and I like this." Nobody should be ashamed to admit that. But when you try to put someone up on a pedestal who is doing absolutely nothing special, that's something that you should stop doing.

If you want to learn a little bit about music that these kids haven't learned yet, let me suggest these topics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulation_(music)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(music)
Can you personally pick up an electric guitar and play the 46 & 2 intro piano staccato palm muted? I can. Adam Jones can. That's just one example of a very real thing that these kids can't do yet.

I'f I had time, I'd give them half-hearted compliments about their:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_...sical_phrasing
because clearly their coach has been teaching them mostly correct (albeit dumbed down) phrasing. But I really need to get to work.

Seriously, if you want to learn things about subjects you know jack shit about, all you have to do is ask questions instead of running your mouth like you're not completely ignorant. You'll get a much better response, I promise.
The fact that you're spouting all of this gibberish to me, of all people, on here just compounds the fail dude. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling at this point, of if you really are the very definition of music douche.

Tossing around music terms might impress your non-musician pals, but you have to realize that a lot of us on here can play quite well - and we aren't impressed. Entertained, definitely, but that's about it.

It's extra awesome that you're getting defensive and proclaiming that you can totally out-play a bunch of 12 year olds.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, he is shitting all over a bunch of 12-year-olds under the guise of constructive criticism because they got some attention on You-Tube and someignorant fools who know NOTHING about musicpeople enjoyed it.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Suddenly I feel that I must email the 12 year old guitar player just to let him know that I can sweep pick better than he can. Can't have these young kids doing anything outlandish like building confidence, or - perish the thought - enjoying playing music!