Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
Movie was fantastic in IMAX, the bumpers said a huge chunk of the movie was shot with 1.9 IMAX cameras (Sony VENICE) with 25% more shown on screen. I honestly couldn't tell ya but it looked amazing. Loved how the movie was completely focused on the combat mission, I rewatched the first movie last night and while its fun it had almost no story behind it. Second one delivers above and beyond.

10/10, no complaints at all glad I saw it in theaters twice.

Jennifer Connelly is an insane smokeshow, if you liked her here go watch all 3 seasons of Snowpiercer she is a big lead character and while the show has ups and downs she is amazing in it and the story is pretty interesting. Just finished it a few weeks ago.

and yeah as someone said above Jennifer plays Penny, an admirals daughter mentioned twice in the original Top Gun as someone Maverick fooled around with

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Just got back from Imax showing. This was dope. I really want to fly through those canyons. looks fun as hell.

• 3Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haven't seen the movie yet, but F/A-18 pilots (and others) definitely do fly through canyons to practice. The one near us when we were out there is called Star Wars canyon. Planes will fly from China Lake, Fallon, and Edwards to practice there. They'll fly as low as 200 ft off the ground, which is mental.

I think 2019 was when one crashed at the parking lot, too. Went too low into the turn, hit the wall underneath it, and burst into flames. Killed the pilot and burned a bunch of spectators. It's easy to see how it happens.

00bzg6l_bf5f4fe4709679447e0c993826ed0f4ac6f849e2.jpg
Thanks. Would love to see some of the unedited footage or making of for this movie. That vid reminds of how i kind of missed long shots with a wide angle that would be possible to take without heavy cgi. Fury road has a lot of that and there's just something real about.. real.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not seeing this movie in theatre is a massive mistake, the sound of the jets was just incredible
I worked at the end of the runway where the scene with the little building has its roof blown off (and the motorcycle rehash scene, among others). Pretty much every single day you'd be on a phone call and have to tell the person on the other end to hold for jet noise. My wife worked on the opposite end of the runway where they'd test the afterburners. I also spent some time working for the Test Wing in the hangar on the runway, mostly with VX-31 (the Dust Devils patch Cruise wears on front of his flight suit).

I can't even imagine how being on a carrier is.

It never gets old. I get a freedom rush every time I see it.

topgun_11_10_18_10.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I give this movie a 10 and would easily put it above the original but ...

There is no casualties like Goose in the original and so I really want to rank them equal just since there isn't that emotional part in this

That said they didn't mimick the original too much and it was awesome. I really hope they don't make another but I would still be there watching more of the new gen replacements.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I give this movie a 10 and would easily put it above the original but ...

There is no casualties like Goose in the original and so I really want to rank them equal just since there isn't that emotional part in this

That said they didn't mimick the original too much and it was awesome. I really hope they don't make another but I would still be there watching more of the new gen replacements.
I kind of figured they'd kill someone off too, especially with Hangman as backup. But I think it makes sense they didn't because it would pollute a space already occupied by Goose's memory and Iceman.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Just got back from seeing this and thought it was great. Feel old as fuck though as I watched the original in the cinema an eternity ago.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
i was fuckin 5 months old when the original came out. tom cruise is an actual vampire.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this at the drive-in last night, was very good and kept me engaged.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Whatever magic sky wizard sauce Tom uses to defy age I'm ok with as long as he continues to share it with Jennifer Connelly.

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Growing up and watching the original movie hundreds of times made this experience feel super nostalgic and awesome. I almost cried during the opening credits when I heard the Faltenmeyer 😭

The first movie does a better job of character development of the other pilots and I guess that’s why this one is “Maverick” vs Top Gun, but it worked.

I would have scrapped the first 20 mins and just built up the characters more, but overall it was a great ride.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Growing up and watching the original movie hundreds of times made this experience feel super nostalgic and awesome. I almost cried during the opening credits when I heard the Faltenmeyer 😭

The first movie does a better job of character development of the other pilots and I guess that’s why this one is “Maverick” vs Top Gun, but it worked.

I would have scrapped the first 20 mins and just built up the characters more, but overall it was a great ride.

Aw someone misses the world before it was a vision of Hell ❤️

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider

Other characters were developed in the original? I guess you had Iceman say he was at the academy with Cougar, and Viper's talk about Mav's dad but other than that it was no more than what the new one had.

On that topic, I wish there was a better way to introduce characters quickly other than "this is Admiral Simpson, the Air Boss" as if any pilot in the Navy doesn't know who the Air Boss is, much less a career pilot from approximately the same year group. Almost as cringe as "Charlie is a civilian so you do not salute her." Otherwise it was damn near action movie perfection.

And agree on the Faltermeier opening. Best since Star Wars Ep 1 but then actually followed it up with a good movie.

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Slider was dumb and loyal, and he stinks.

Jester / Viper were old school but reasonable.

Hollywood got boners.

It wasn’t much, but enough to make the other pilots feel like characters vs cocky girl pilot, cocky boy pilot, super cocky boy etc.

• 2Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wife and I saw it opening night in IMAX. Absolutely incredible! Someone mentioned above that they found themselves gripping the seat during several of the more intense flight scenes (of which there were several). That happened to me as well. I also caught myself literally sitting on the edge of my seat just like the other pilots were doing while watching Maverick's canyon run to prove it could be done. All of the aerial footage was jaw-dropping!

The way they wrote Ice into the script was cool but the way they incorporated Val Kilmer into the movie was awesome.

I also really liked all the callbacks to the original with one exception, which was a pretty cringe line uttered by Rooster. Otherwise, those were done really well too.

• 3Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I had to travel for work this week. Coworker and I decided to see this movie at a dine in movie theater.

It was an excellent time. The footage was insane. Tom cruise drinks the blood of the innocent. Jennifer Connolly was hawt, even while wearing dumpy jeans. New people were decent. Val Kilmer was touching. The "Russian/Iranians/Hydra" were faceless 80s bad guy levels of cool. And check out that fuckin hook grab from the opening carrier sequence... cleanest snag ever.

• 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well that was just fantastic. The movie felt like a love letter to Naval Aviation and the F/A-18.

Makes me miss working for the program, but also a little regretful for dropping out of being a Naval aviator myself (all the way back in 2011 when I first heard the movie was in early talks; although I likely would've ended up on helos).

The flying was just superb. I'm honestly speechless about how good it was.

I'm a little surprised how much filming they did when they were out in the desert. It took me a little out of it, unfortunately, because I was getting distracted by the stuff/locations I knew (or the set I was on, which was during the opening sequence -- can't remember if I mentioned it, but that plane was made out of wood. Impressive, right?).

I'd say this absolutely blows the original out of the water. It's an incredible action movie on its own. I'd say it's probably the best one since Mad Max.

After the movie ended my wife and I were talking about it on the way home. She's more focused on the weapons side (since that's where she worked) and we both noticed that the not listing the actual acronym (even though googling it does bring up a bunch of info) helmet display wasn't used, and she mentioned that they never would've been able to hit anything with their sidewinders. But we both figured that's because they wanted us to see the actor's faces. Just kind of a funny conversation for a married couple to have on the way home from a movie.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this one again. It's definitely a movie I'll probably watch every year or couple of years.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't understand all the people saying this is better than the original.

Sure, a lot of my love for original is nostalgia but I can't see how the new one is better.

Ignoring things like cinematography, which obviously benefits from technological progress. Everything narrative, plotwise, structure is better in the original. Pacing is better. The way the story flows through each exercise and the lessons learnt from each one. The way dog fighting is the focus and not a bombing run etc

Plus the romance is better. And the f14 escape in new one is too Hollywood.