Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't understand all the people saying this is better than the original.

Sure, a lot of my love for original is nostalgia but I can't see how the new one is better.

Ignoring things like cinematography, which obviously benefits from technological progress. Everything narrative, plotwise, structure is better in the original. Pacing is better. The way the story flows through each exercise and the lessons learnt from each one. The way dog fighting is the focus and not a bombing run etc

Plus the romance is better. And the f14 escape in new one is too Hollywood.
I’m in that camp. Maybe i’m more shocked than anything that the filmmakers respected the source material rather than make a woke joke.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand all the people saying this is better than the original.

Sure, a lot of my love for original is nostalgia but I can't see how the new one is better.

Ignoring things like cinematography, which obviously benefits from technological progress. Everything narrative, plotwise, structure is better in the original. Pacing is better. The way the story flows through each exercise and the lessons learnt from each one. The way dog fighting is the focus and not a bombing run etc
Same. I was obsessed with the first movie, to the point where I wore out the VHS tape as a kid multiple times, wanted to fly for the Navy, etc. I'm a total fuckin' Top Gun fanboy and nearly as big a fan of Tom Cruise.

Obviously, the flight footage in this is a million times better, simply because of Cruise's dedication/expectations and advances in technology. But, other than that, almost everything about the first movie is better. The humor, the pacing, the soundtrack (ESPECIALLY the soundtrack - the only good addition to this one was the timing of The Who's "We Don't Get Fooled Again"), structure, etc. Honestly, in the first 20m or so of the movie, I was worried that everybody calling this "great" were out of their fucking minds. I realize you have to include a way to bring Maverick "back in", but the whole Darkstar shit needed to be cut/changed. In fact, just have him buzzing the tower in his P-51 and being a general PITA and you save 10-15m. The opening stuff was pretty much completely unnecessary as a way to show Maverick still "breaking rules" - hated how that was handled.

That said, they pulled it out in the end and still made a great movie, but compare Maverick's "dogfighting" sequences with the new pilots to when they fought Jester, and especially when they fought Jester + Viper. It's just not even comparable. I really think people are gushing over this so hard purely because of the huge leaps in camera tech, and the fact that Cruise is a dedicated nut that forced the actors to actually go through training and be in the actual jets.

Like I said, it's still a great movie and something I'll watch every few years, but it just doesn't compare to the original IMO. And to prove my fanboyism, me at a Halloween party in 2019..

mav3.jpg
mav2.jpg
mav.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Same. I was obsessed with the first movie, to the point where I wore out the VHS tape as a kid multiple times, wanted to fly for the Navy, etc. I'm a total fuckin' Top Gun fanboy and nearly as big a fan of Tom Cruise.

Obviously, the flight footage in this is a million times better, simply because of Cruise's dedication/expectations and advances in technology. But, other than that, almost everything about the first movie is better. The humor, the pacing, the soundtrack (ESPECIALLY the soundtrack - the only good addition to this one was the timing of The Who's "We Don't Get Fooled Again"), structure, etc. Honestly, in the first 20m or so of the movie, I was worried that everybody calling this "great" were out of their fucking minds. I realize you have to include a way to bring Maverick "back in", but the whole Darkstar shit needed to be cut/changed. In fact, just have him buzzing the tower in his P-51 and being a general PITA and you save 10-15m. The opening stuff was pretty much completely unnecessary as a way to show Maverick still "breaking rules" - hated how that was handled.

That said, they pulled it out in the end and still made a great movie, but compare Maverick's "dogfighting" sequences with the new pilots to when they fought Jester, and especially when they fought Jester + Viper. It's just not even comparable. I really think people are gushing over this so hard purely because of the huge leaps in camera tech, and the fact that Cruise is a dedicated nut that forced the actors to actually go through training and be in the actual jets.

Like I said, it's still a great movie and something I'll watch every few years, but it just doesn't compare to the original IMO. And to prove my fanboyism, me at a Halloween party in 2019..

View attachment 415404View attachment 415406View attachment 415407

Lol, dude 15 years ago I bought one of those blue gem 💎 navy rings they give to pilots lol

First thing I did after getting lasek was buy aviators.

• 1Solidarity

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
First movie in years for wife and me. It was everything I expected and hoped for. Disney should be ashamed of what they did to the Star Wars franchise. This is how you do a throwback/sequel

• 5Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
First movie in years for wife and me. It was everything I expected and hoped for. Disney should be ashamed of what they did to the Star Wars franchise. This is how you do a throwback/sequel

The irony of this statement is the similarity of this movie to ANH, and the similarity of TFA to ANH

• 2Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know why you would compare something like this to Star wars.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't know why you would compare something like this to Star wars.

LMAO, yeah because pilots flying at high speed through a canyon, evading enemy aircraft and knocking out a small target without a targeting computer has nothing in common with (intentionally left blank to underline the similarity between the two movies)

• 1Worf

Fadaar

That guy
The irony of this statement is the similarity of this movie to ANH, and the similarity of TFA to ANH

yeah but the rest of the trilogy turned out to be dogshit which i'm pretty sure was his point. christ we just had this discussion over in the SW thread so let this shit die.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
This was great, and the second half of the movie was fantastic. Filming the actors inside the jets paid off in spades.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
yeah but the rest of the trilogy turned out to be dogshit which i'm pretty sure was his point. christ we just had this discussion over in the SW thread so let this shit die.

No he said "This is how you do a throwback/sequel" which TFA was - a virtual remake plot wise of ANH.

Obviously the rest of the trilogy was awful, I was just pointing out the irony of his statement

• 1Garbage

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was alright. The acting from the young flight crew was borderline cringe, especially in the bar scenes early in the movie. Actual people dont interact like that. The writing overall wasnt bad, the plot and story elements were fine. They played it safe and stuck the landing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Just saw it.
I liked it.

You can't compare this movie with the original. It would be the same as comparing two cars that are 30 years apart.
The first one reused a lot of footage when they dogfighting because that was probably the only footage they had.

On this movie, nothing repeats. The sound is amazing and the storyline is decent. I dislike that they kept the iceman clone, so badly written, basically the way maverick behaved the first movie.
There was plenty of tension between rooster and maverick, there was no need to create hangman as an incompetent leader.
Also there were too many... "talk to me..." moments.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Something interesting going around on social media about this movie. The original cut way back 3 years ago focused on the new recruits a LOT more, with them doing the final mission and 4-5 other recruits playing heavy into the story.

It tested awful in test screenings. So Paramount hired McQuarry, the guy who has directed the last few mission impossible movies and whom Cruise trusts with no question, to rewrite the script to focus just on Maverick. Manny from The Good Place and a few other characters were cut from the movie entirely and parts reshot to focus just on Cruise, Connelly, and Rooster (Gooses son). Test audiences loved the new cut. You can still see some of the cut characters in the beach football scene. Usually studio meddling results in a mess but this time it worked, and Paramount has been super quiet about it too which says something.

Hope this story gets out more in Hollywood, its been real shit the last decade of "reboot" movies bringing in new casts while handing off from the old cast. Nobody gives a shit about the new people *cough* Rey and Finn.

• 5Like