Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, no he wasn't. I could see him texting back and forth, multiple people that he was switching between. I know what a text app and conversation looks like. He spoke to the girl several times before the movie in English. Furthermore, when the movie ended he immediately called someone and spoke in English. He was just a cunt, regardless of race.
i mean you'd think a txt app to translate would be silly since he's already txting whats being spoken...

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
beyond rooster and hangman no one even remembers the other callsigns, i think there was some faggots named yale and harvard
I actually remembered Bob lol, but seriously the call signs in the movie were horrible, Fritz, Fanboy, Omaha Payback. Hell the old lieutenant or what ever had at least Warlock.

Last edited:

Szlia

Strange movie. It delivers so exactly what one could expect from it that it feels one could guess all the lines before they are uttered and that's entertaining and satisfying in a weird kind of way. It is also both a clone and a pastiche of the original - that was already pretty stylized - so we are so far removed from any kind of reality that all emotions are related to nostalgia, meta or extra-filmic things (like Val Kilmer being very sick). That and the thrill of fighter planes doing fighter planes things (which have been known to be good content for the big screen from at least the days of Howard Hughes). It's not bad, but so very strange.

This Top Gun: Maverick made me think about the Rocky Balboa from 2006. It was also a purposefully retro movie with an aging protagonist, but it felt very different, a lot less... artificial for lack of a better word. It's probably related to the fact that Rocky (at least the first one) is absolutely not Top Gun. The struggles of a blue collar athlete in Philadelphia does not hit the same as a bunch of stereotypical jocks in fighter jets in a movie shot like a recruitment ad for the navy.

Anyway, as I said, I enjoyed this odd nostalgia trip more than I probably should, but I would say it had several weak components. The exposition in the bar is cringe worthy, even for a pastiche, Rooster turning into a comic relief sidekick for the escape act was dumb and some of the shots go overboard with the '80s ad aesthetic (the worst offender must be Penny by her Porsche).

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I actually remembered Bob lol, but seriously the call signs in the movie were horrible, Fritz, Fanboy, Omaha Payback. Hell the old lieutenant or what ever had at least Warlock.

See here's the thing about callsigns, you dont get to pick it. It gets chosen for you. It might sound cool, something like Ninja. But in reality there's a story behind it since its actually an abbreviation for No I'm Not Jewish, Asshole. There's a few other of our pilots I got the rundown on their callsigns. Female pilot, callsign Stacks. SHE said it was because she was short and needed a stack of books or a box to reach things. Nah, she had huge tits. It's never anything that innocent.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
When we were watching the original a while back, commented on how boring most of the call signs were for the pilots.

1D961A6C-183C-4C7F-B923-F82863DEAB74.png5E8363A1-760A-40EC-A896-5533B7FB28BF.png

Homsar

When we were watching the original a while back, commented on how boring most of the call signs were for the pilots.
The only name that was in the movie was Hollywood and I'm curious if it has a story

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The chick was Phoenix, which I remember because she looked nothing like Jean Grey. However, I'd still knock the bottom out of it. Would not have mattered one bit if she weren't in the movie though.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Bob was the best callsign, and the most likeable. Phoenix was good, she and hangman had a good banter when he constantly reminded her that she was not a man.

Homsar

See here's the thing about callsigns, you dont get to pick it. It gets chosen for you. It might sound cool, something like Ninja. But in reality there's a story behind it since its actually an abbreviation for No I'm Not Jewish, Asshole. There's a few other of our pilots I got the rundown on their callsigns. Female pilot, callsign Stacks. SHE said it was because she was short and needed a stack of books or a box to reach things. Nah, she had huge tits. It's never anything that innocent.
Late response but isn't that the same thing with race car / dragsters cars?

Maul

Dental Dammer
Are you even allowed to join as a Pilot if you don't have 20/20? Fucking Bob up there pulling 10g with his glasses on

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you even allowed to join as a Pilot if you don't have 20/20? Fucking Bob up there pulling 10g with his glasses on
For pilots, 20/40 when you join. If it gets worse afterwards though, you can still fly. I don't remember what the cut off is though (looks like 20/100, correctable to 20/20).

I took a shit load of bilberry extract and lutein prior to joining because as someone close to the age limit (I was actually over, but because I was prior enlisted it gave me a extra year I believe) I was super worried about my vision going to hell.

But Bob was an NFO, not a pilot, and so there is no vision requirement except being correctable to 20/20.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Not sure about when they join but I know there is a doctor that does lasik for Navy pilots in VA.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
Not sure about when they join but I know there is a doctor that does lasik for Navy pilots in VA.
I was always under the impression that lasik was a no go due to the pressures involved at high G and the process involved affecting the integrity of the eye, maybe the new processes where they don't slice the cornea off has changed that?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Same. I know in the Army everyone had to get PRK because they were worried that a violent head jarring would leave someone with lasik blind.

Fadaar

That guy
Same. I know in the Army everyone had to get PRK because they were worried that a violent head jarring would leave someone with lasik blind.

We were talking about this at work the other day. Whole department is ex-military and the topic of eye surgery came up, one of the guys mentioned that pilots can't have lasik. Basically had this same explanation told to me lol. I had never heard about it.

• 1Like