Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I STILL tense up both times it looks like Tom Cruise died.
He's a real treasure of a person, so I completely understand why you have feelings. Your sentiment makes me think a lot of this Bert Kreischer interview with Jim & Sam all of 3 months ago... Fast forward to the 9:02 mark.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I went into this with maybe too much hopium after seeing the rave reviews and advice of personal friends.

The whole film felt like fanfic. I kept thinking they were intentionally laying the 86-nostalgia on thick in advance of a 180 gut punch...but it never came.

Very much a bummer.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I went into this with maybe too much hopium after seeing the rave reviews and advice of personal friends.

The whole film felt like fanfic. I kept thinking they were intentionally laying the 86-nostalgia on thick in advance of a 180 gut punch...but it never came.

Very much a bummer.
You're an idiot.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Very much a bummer.

The only review you should have paid attention to before getting your hopes way too high:

7.5/10

Some things I liked, some things I didn't like.

They kept the Harald Faltermeyer theme, I was worried they wouldn't. I let out a "fuck yeah" when the first chords kicked in

Aesthetically it is similar to the original in some places e.g. Colour palette - Tony Scott used a very distinctive style and I was worried this movie would look more "modern" and feel out of place when next to the original, but you can see they've emulated the look/feel in a lot of places

Was a bit worried by some reviews that made me think it would be a Force Awakens style remake, but it wasn't as extreme as that

Movie was less about dog fighting but I guess that replicates real life?

The dynamic with rooster was better than the trailers lead me to expect, was more fleshed out than just "you killed my dad"

Having his romantic interest be the same woman referenced in the first movie was a pointless reference. Her character was generic romance interest.

It reminds me of Cobra Kai in that it's made with respect for original whilst trying to appeal to larger audience, although it's stylistically closer to the original than CK

Edit: and on that last point, with these sequels it's a balance between referencing/staying true to original and nostalgia/member berries for cheap "likes". There were some moments that I felt were just member berries

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sad that people can't just enjoy a fun movie. It's got to have a twist, or some other nonsense.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Wouldn't it have been fun if Hangman ended up being Maverick's son? Because that would have made the movie so much better.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I mean, if I had seen this just a decade ago it would have been just another entirely forgettable high production value popcorn action flick with plot holes wide enough to drive a semi through, but since every movie today is fucking gay with jarring socio-political messaging and cringeworthy casting, this turned out to be a breath of fresh air. I mean everyone is wearing massive plot armor, the romance is PG-13 cheese, pilots ejecting from dogfights with perfect hair and starched clothing, and the "bad guys" are basically invisible unnamed randos ,but it was still glorious because the whole film hearkens back to a simpler time when actors were allowed to be pretty, films were able to entertain rather than miseducate, and the guy could get the girl without a rhetorical on screen self-dickchop.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So there is a 2 movie 4k set that will release on Nov. 1st that you can pre-order off Amazon.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Very much a bummer.
I thought the same thing. While I did enjoy the movie it was literally just a remake of the original. It’s funny how people on these forums hated the Force Awakens for being a fanfic remake when this was the exact same thing.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I thought the same thing. While I did enjoy the movie it was literally just a remake of the original. It’s funny how people on these forums hated the Force Awakens for being a fanfic remake when this was the exact same thing.

TFA got criticised for that but it didn't shit on franchise like TLJ.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Most people enjoyed TFA I thought? It wasn't until the next two movies that Star Wars died.

• 1Like

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
TFA was seen as rip-off of ANH right away. A well-done rip-off, but still a rip-off. People were just willing to be a little lenient hoping that the sequels would pay off. Lol. The biggest complaint was that Rey was overpowered, which again, people were willing to look the other way because they assumed there would be a good answer later. Lol x2.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
888.jpg

That was the entire film in a nutshell. We find out Maverick has been stuck in a state of arrested development for 35 years and he becomes the hero for it.

• 1Cringe

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It got shit for being a paint by numbers remake filled with retarded shit like mary rey sue.

rey_i_bypassed_the_compressor_palpatine_by_superneonmonkey_de96a0s-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Yeah Rey just a badass Jedi in 2 minutes able to fight Kylo who trained most of his life

Homsar

Yes, completely a remake. Please tell me what was the remake part? Besides awesome flight scenes the and making fun of the beach scene its so much different

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes, completely a remake. Please tell me what was the remake part? Besides awesome flight scenes the and making fun of the beach scene its so much different

Not sure if you're serious or joking, but nobody needs a literal remake. They took the basic blueprint and just tweaked a few things.

I enjoyed it, but I'm a pretty casual fan and it seems like more of the more serious fans are the ones that didn't like it

spronk

FPS noob

TGM first week digital sales is apparently the highest selling digital movie title ever on first week. Tom Cruise can't stop winning. I have UHDs on preorder (xmas gifts for family) but bought the digital today too just to put my money where my mouth is since thats the only effective vote i have.

• 2Like