Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
well, on top of that, billion dollar films are a pretty recent thing. it was only like, halfway through the MCU that they were making that much, even though a movie like ironman, which is top tier MCU made less than 600m. on top of that it was the best of the ironman movies and it made the least.

i guess "halfway through the MCU" is patently false since the first avengers made like 1.5 billion... but still.
That was my initial thought. but I was wrong. I was going to say box office inflation, which it is...

But really its been pretty steadily increasing for quite some time. but, its not a sudden increase. And its definitely not just marvel.

spiderman 1. 821m ww
spiderman 2. 788m ww
spiderman 3 894m ww.

batman begins. 373m ww
tdk 1b ww
tdk rises 1b ww

xmen 296m ww
x2 407m ww
x3 460m ww

Fellowship 880m ww
two towers. 936m ww
return of the king. 1.14b ww

sorc stone. 1b ww
secrets. 879m ww
azk. 797m ww
goblet of fire 896m ww
phoenix 942m ww
hb prince 934m ww
hallows p1. 977m ww
hallows p2. 1.3b ww

pirates 1. 654m
priates 2. 1b
pirates 3. 961m
pirates 4. 1b

Titanic was over 2b.

Caliane

its probably true to say box office increased dramatically from 1990-2000.
days of thunder 157m ww
interview with the vampire 223m ww
jurassic park hit 1b. 1993. massive smash hit.
toy story top of 1995. 394m ww
The phantom menance hit 1b. top of 1999.

tom's done alot of one offs. you can see even in the superhero craze, new ips are rough. batman begins only hit 373m.
minority report? war of the worlds? collateral? the last samurai? knight and day? oblivion? edge of tomorrow? etc. which of these had any chance?
reacher? Neither broke 300m.

mission impossible underperforms really. 6 of them out now. none are SMASH hits. they haven't captured the mass attention in the same way james bond, or even many of those previously listed have. No one talks about MI. I couldn't even tell you a single characters name. I was looking at box office mojo and toms imdb, and still almost called him ethan hawke.

Fadaar

That guy
wouldnt ticket sales be a better metric? obviously more people in the world today but pretty sure population didnt inflate as much as ticket prices did.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
First Iron-Man wasn't 3D. By not having access to the higher priced "specialty theaters", it limited the total potential earnings. Think Avatar or End Game would have hit the 2 billion mark without 3D?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
wouldnt ticket sales be a better metric? obviously more people in the world today but pretty sure population didnt inflate as much as ticket prices did.

Then you have 3D, IMAX, deluxe seats, etc. that add even more to ticket prices

Caliane

in theory yes. but people love to make a big deal of breaking 1b.

Ticket sales, theatre count, etc. all a mess... streaming, dvd sales, etc.. Even box office numbers sometimes reflect studio being dumbasses, limiting theatre count and the like, while the movie might do gangbusters the moment it hits dvd/streaming.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Saw it over the weekend. Not great; not terrible. Cinematography was top shelf. They were way too generic for military people. "5th gen fighters". No, that doesn't sound right.
I think the part I enjoyed most was the opening test pilot sequence. Jennifer Connelly at 52? Damn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Sanrith hates more things that Chukzombie.
Unpossible

The Simpsons GIF

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I find it hard to believe fighter jocks sit around and dont use the term "SU-57" or "Felon", but hey with these kids today who knows.
It's the term used when you're talking about all 5th gen fighters, usually in comparison to older gen fighters. And when talking capabilities, it's the easiest way to talk about it.

I can tell you from having worked in the program, it's absolutely a term used regularly. Especially in the context of the movie when you're discussing an F/A-18 in the air with a 5th gen fighters and being outclassed.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's the term used when you're talking about all 5th gen fighters, usually in comparison to older gen fighters. And when talking capabilities, it's the easiest way to talk about it.

I can tell you from having worked in the program, it's absolutely a term used regularly. Especially in the context of the movie when you're discussing an F/A-18 in the air with a 5th gen fighters and being outclassed.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I'm old. We did shit different in my day. We called things Migs, Harriers, Bears and Badgers, Eagles etc.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
To go along with calling them 5th gen rather than Felons I think it better describes the massive capability leap 5th Gen has over even fully upgraded 4th gen stuff. Calling it 5th gen lets the average viewer know "this is cutting edge shit." People outside the industry don't understand how dominant the new fighters can be but at least calling it next gen gives some feel for gap.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I think the issue is they just called them 5th gen fighters, and left it at that. if the said, 5th gen fighters, gave them a specific albeit made up name SUV-67, with specific tech specs, which they run down. THEN went back to calling them "5th gen fighters", it probably would have worked better. (where russian su-57 I guess? I imagine they didn't want to specify in the current year.)
like they did call the planes MiG's in the original.

The issue is the nameless, faceless enemy felt really cartoonish.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Shmoopy

Yeah passed a $billion and Jennifer Connelly is the hottest MILF on the planet. 👍

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users