Molten Core Raider
Before watching the trailer: "nah man, not giving money to scientology"

After watching trailer: "shut up and take my money!"

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Tom Cruise movie? Automatic watch for me, don't even need to see a trailer. Can't remember ever being disappointed.

(awesome trailer anyway!)

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Okay first off - why? Why is this movie? Cruise doesn't need the money? Maybe Scientology is suffering of late and needs an influx of cash.

That being said, I will echo other sentiments that I love Cruise and pretty much ALL of his movies, so I remain reservedly interested.

Here's the thing though. When the original came out, jet fighters and combat was still a cool thing; the cold war was recent, there was still friction with an "enemy" with decently comparable air capability. Fighter sims were all the rage in computer gaming.

But at present, and in comparison to the time of the original, very few give two shits about air warfare, knows much about front line aviation, new designs, what is good at what, etc etc. And, shit, there is no real "enemy" as someone else alluded - if it is "mah Russians" again that will be lame.

Seriously, I was big on all this in the way back, but do they even fly Tomcats anymore? Is it Hornets off the ships now? Do they stage F16s off the carriers as well? And isn't there F19s and F20s of some kind?

Edit - the flight stuff looks boss, can't deny it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why? Rich guy wants to do expensive and impressive stunts and you get to come along for the ride. It's like Adam Sandler and his movies except the result isn't you just watched his vacation and 2 hours of fart and fat jokes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm guessing that the funeral in the trailer is for Iceman
Nah he probably got one of his trainees killed and that's why ed harris is talking to him about the old days are done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seriously, I was big on all this in the way back, but do they even fly Tomcats anymore? Is it Hornets off the ships now? Do they stage F16s off the carriers as well? And isn't there F19s and F20s of some kind?

Edit - the flight stuff looks boss, can't deny it.
No, they don't fly F-14's anymore. For the Navy it's F/A-18's or nothing at the moment (as far as fighter attack that is). F-35's are still kind of on the horizon but not quite there yet, although they're expected in the fleet any minute now.

And no, there are no F-19's or F-20's. Air Force's newest toy is the F-22 (and aforementioned F-35's).

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
F-22's have been around a long time, haven't they? I only think that because of the 1997 video game by Novalogic...

220px-F-22_Raptor_Coverart.png

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I just watched Top Gun again... it's actually pretty amazing, all the jet fighting stuff still looks modern and legit. I guess it being all real airplanes makes it timeless.

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I played some semi-arcady fighter game on my Amiga back in the day where you staged off a carrier in the water off San Francisco and fought Russian MIGs - I cannot even remember the context around why the Russian MIGs were there. It was low sim stuff, but had the HUD and lock on drone sound and really the entire feel of the Top Gun movie. You could even change your view perspective to watch as you and a MIG blasted past each other just like in Top Gun. I used to put my stereo speakers under my chair and it would all rumble when punching in the afterburners, it was GLORIOUS.

Anyway, I WAS Top Gun playing that game.

Never got into the more complicated sims on the PC. I am not a gear head in any way, and more than three or four buttons and I lose interest. I remember the cardboard cut out overlays to put on your keyboard though.

So, to tie it all back, I will watch the movie for the fighter stuff alone, and Cruise Cruising it all up will be a bonus.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm just glad they're not making it an all female reboot.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I played some semi-arcady fighter game on my Amiga back in the day where you staged off a carrier in the water off San Francisco and fought Russian MIGs - I cannot even remember the context around why the Russian MIGs were there. It was low sim stuff, but had the HUD and lock on drone sound and really the entire feel of the Top Gun movie. You could even change your view perspective to watch as you and a MIG blasted past each other just like in Top Gun. I used to put my stereo speakers under my chair and it would all rumble when punching in the afterburners, it was GLORIOUS.

Anyway, I WAS Top Gun playing that game.

Never got into the more complicated sims on the PC. I am not a gear head in any way, and more than three or four buttons and I lose interest. I remember the cardboard cut out overlays to put on your keyboard though.

So, to tie it all back, I will watch the movie for the fighter stuff alone, and Cruise Cruising it all up will be a bonus.
This is really just a brag at this point, but I got to fly a real F/A-18 simulator. It's an actual cockpit (all the real avionics), surrounded by a giant projector screen. You can legit get airsick in it (the first time I went in it, it was a demo and we were just standing in the room while someone else flew, and I felt incredibly nauseated).

Not only that, but I also landed on a carrier my very first try. Then I took it out and did two bombing runs on LAX. You can actually fly anywhere in the world and it's incredibly realistic.

Pretty much this:

• 3Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
In 1986 I had already made up my mind to pursue aeronautical engineering in college the next year, but the original Top Gun certainly helped keep me headed that direction. My dad was in the Air Force as well (flew C141s but still got to train in T-38s and such), and absolutely loves that movie (despite the whole Navy thing, I asked him about that and he said if they ever make an Air Force movie as good as Top Gun, ask him again). His ringtone has been Danger Zone for as long as you've been able to customize ringtones. He was even just in the hospital for bypass surgery and we had to make him turn it off because it was so fucking loud. I will be going to see this with him the first weekend (assuming he's not on a fucking cruise!), and I don't even care if it isn't as good as the original. We've watched the original together a few times over the years, but I am really, really excited about being able to finally see another one brand new and fresh with him. So for that reason alone, thank you Tom Cruise! It certainly doesn't hurt that pretty much every movie that Cruise makes lately is something I enjoy, but this is just icing on the cake.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Argarth

On the verandah
Okay first off - why? Why is this movie? Cruise doesn't need the money? Maybe Scientology is suffering of late and needs an influx of cash.

Watch that Conan interview up above if you haven't already. Cruise is so passionate about his craft, Aviation as well, and you just know he's putting in 110% again, as usual.

That interview makes me more hyped to see the movie than the trailer. He's his own best advertisement, the real deal, a genuine Hollywood rock star.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users