Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure if you're serious or joking, but nobody needs a literal remake. They took the basic blueprint and just tweaked a few things.

I enjoyed it, but I'm a pretty casual fan and it seems like more of the more serious fans are the ones that didn't like it
It's a movie about fighter pilots, I mean how much can you change the story up ? Then compare it to something like Star wars which has an infinite amount of options.

All the die hard fans I know loved it so I don't know where you get that from. If anything it was not as ridiculous on pointing out how many flaws the original had as far as them putting their hands on stuff that would have melted their skin ect

Watching the original with people that worked on the F16 ect loved the original for how inaccurate and cheesy it was

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's a movie about fighter pilots, I mean how much can you change the story up ? Then compare it to something like Star wars which has an infinite amount of options.

All the die hard fans I know loved it so I don't know where you get that from. If anything it was not as ridiculous on pointing out how many flaws the original had as far as them putting their hands on stuff that would have melted their skin ect

Watching the original with people that worked on the F16 ect loved the original for how inaccurate and cheesy it was

Forgot what thread we were in and thought you were asking why people thought TFA was called a remake

Homsar

Forgot what thread we were in and thought you were asking why people thought TFA was called a remake
Star wars has so many routes it can take hence why Mando or the animated shows gets so much love or stuff like KOTOR ect. There is is only so much depth you can give to Top Gun, they hit the feels part part with Val, and didn't try to have a tragic death. I actually liked Connelly and thought it was a good way to have him retire but now I think they might go for another movie which he shouldnt

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
just recently we-watched this, it's not a perfect movie but even knowing what's going to happen, i was still enthralled the entire third act. it's just an incredibly filmed and executed series of action scenes.

i stumbled across a youtuber doing a review of the movie. he's an ex fighter pilot who flew the f16 in the air force and the f18 in the navy. he did a trailer review years ago on top gun maverick which led to him "ruining" movies with fighter jet scenes called "Mover Ruins Movies" (Mover is his callsign). anyway, he's currently doing an 8 part series on maverick (paramount copyright nonsense means he has to break up all the scenes in small chunks). it's pretty interesting hearing him talk about the difference between what happens in real life vs what hollywood likes to do. formation flying, for example. hollywood LOVES to show planes flying in close parade formation (Fingertip) when in real life that's pretty fatiguing and normal formation flying is miles apart.

anyway, part 7 and 8 are releasing later this week (7th and 8th of october). the review is with his friend Gonky (also an f18 pilot) (also, no idea where he got the callsign Gonky, but Mover got his callsign because one of his first missions he was looking at his target in white hot targeting - heat signatures in white, cold in black, so ultimately in black and white - and saw a bunch of white legs in clumps. he dropped his bombs and went home. when they reviewed the tape it turned out he was looking at superfluous targets in the area, which they call "movers" which ended up being a big herd of cows.)

Fadaar

That guy
just recently we-watched this, it's not a perfect movie but even knowing what's going to happen, i was still enthralled the entire third act. it's just an incredibly filmed and executed series of action scenes.

i stumbled across a youtuber doing a review of the movie. he's an ex fighter pilot who flew the f16 in the air force and the f18 in the navy. he did a trailer review years ago on top gun maverick which led to him "ruining" movies with fighter jet scenes called "Mover Ruins Movies" (Mover is his callsign). anyway, he's currently doing an 8 part series on maverick (paramount copyright nonsense means he has to break up all the scenes in small chunks). it's pretty interesting hearing him talk about the difference between what happens in real life vs what hollywood likes to do. formation flying, for example. hollywood LOVES to show planes flying in close parade formation (Fingertip) when in real life that's pretty fatiguing and normal formation flying is miles apart.

anyway, part 7 and 8 are releasing later this week (7th and 8th of october). the review is with his friend Gonky (also an f18 pilot) (also, no idea where he got the callsign Gonky, but Mover got his callsign because one of his first missions he was looking at his target in white hot targeting - heat signatures in white, cold in black, so ultimately in black and white - and saw a bunch of white legs in clumps. he dropped his bombs and went home. when they reviewed the tape it turned out he was looking at superfluous targets in the area, which they call "movers" which ended up being a big herd of cows.)

shoulda been Moovers

Also callsign backstories are always fun, I worked in a fighter squadron during my AF enlistment and seemingly ordinary callsigns always have a catch. Ninja? No I'm Not Jewish Asshole. Doug? Doesn't Operate Under Greygoose.

j00t

shoulda been Moovers

Also callsign backstories are always fun, I worked in a fighter squadron during my AF enlistment and seemingly ordinary callsigns always have a catch. Ninja? No I'm Not Jewish Asshole. Doug? Doesn't Operate Under Greygoose.
yeah, my favorite story of a callsign is "Zeus." He said he was asked about his progress on some paperwork and he lied and said he was almost done with it, so his CO immediately told him he wanted to see it and then had to fill the whole thing out right then and there. His CO said, "You're new callsign is Zeus. Zero Effort Unless Supervised."

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

i've been watching mover for a while - should watch his stuff on the "ghost of kiev" bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

i've been watching mover for a while - should watch his stuff on the "ghost of kiev" bullshit.
yeah i actually just watched those videos a few days ago. it was GREAT how salty people were getting when he first talked about it. "listen, as a fighter pilot i would LOVE for this to be true but none of it makes any sense." and then when it came out that it was just propaganda, the smug look on his face was just great

• 1Like

Homsar

This movie fucks, everytime I put it on to test surround sound ect I lose a couple of hours. The more you watch this masterpiece the more you want to see how bad the original cut was in test screenings

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie fucks, everytime I put it on to test surround sound ect I lose a couple of hours. The more you watch this masterpiece the more you want to see how bad the original cut was in test screenings
Home cinema wise Top Gun 2 is the anti-Tenet.

j00t

i think the hate on tenet is mostly for technical reasons. it's a complicated movie and the dialogue that's meant to explain it is drowned out by the absolutely awful audio mixing

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i think the hate on tenet is mostly for technical reasons. it's a complicated movie and the dialogue that's meant to explain it is drowned out by the absolutely awful audio mixing
Interesting. Maybe I will watch it next time with subtitles on.

j00t

Interesting. Maybe I will watch it next time with subtitles on.
yeah, for whatever reason i've gotten into the habit of watching movies with subtitles on. i watched tenet with it and really enjoyed it. then came here to see what people thought and it was a lot of hate, and a lot of it seemed to be confusion about poorly explained plot, which i perfectly understood.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yeah, for whatever reason i've gotten into the habit of watching movies with subtitles on. i watched tenet with it and really enjoyed it. then came here to see what people thought and it was a lot of hate, and a lot of it seemed to be confusion about poorly explained plot, which i perfectly understood.
I loved watching it with my wife. It ended and she said "I have zero Idea what I just watched". I offered to explain and she smiled and said "no."