Torrents

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a really good site for ebooks? Also any good alternatives to calibre?
Do you have myanonymouse? Also, may I ask what your issue with calibre is? I have used it for years and absolutely love it for curating my book library.

Edit: Also, how do you know if its a good 1080p rip? Given I was watching VHS quality before, I'm not too proud to step down to 1080p, but apparently there are good and bad? Is it strictly file size? Void Void @jeydax
Well, first off, if you want quality don't ever get something that is a BRRip/BDRip. That's an incredibly compressed rip, and even though it says 1080p the file size is typically less than a 720p better copy. As with most things, size is a good first indicator to look at. Honestly, if it is a movie and it is less than 10GB, it isn't exactly high quality 1080p in most cases. I typically download 15-20GB files when I can, but if you really want to be technical about it, you need to look at the actual file info posted in the torrent description. It will have the video bitrate shown there, and the higher the better (but larger file).

For example, here's a BRRip of Kong: Skull Island that is only 3GB.
ViDEO.........[ 3368 kbps Matroska Variable
RESOLUTiON....[ 1920 pixels x 800 pixels
(the 800 just means the aspect ratio isn't 16:9 so it will have black bars, but it is still "1080p")

Now here is a 14.3GB Bluray rip:
BITRATE..........: 12.5 Mb/s
RESOLUTION.......: 1920 x 800

That's 12500kbps, almost 4 times the bitrate of the smaller one (but over 4 times the file size).

And here is the 23.7GB version, which is a remux and AVC that I don't know what the fuck those mean (I know AVC is Advanced Video Codec but beyond that, no clue):
Total Bitrate........: 28.7 Mbps
That's another 2+ times the bitrate of the previous one.

All of those bitrates matter for the overall quality. I can't tell you where the cutoff is for being able to tell the difference or size vs. quality. On top of that, you generally only get the good sound with higher quality (bitrate) rips. I typically go for something with DTS-HD or better if it is a movie I really care about, DTS if not. But there are about a dozen different audio variations too, which all affect file size. Of course, if you don't have a great sound system setup, getting better sound won't matter as much either.

I have a massive NAS so I don't worry about size too much, but I also don't necessarily see the point to every movie being 25GB+ either, so I've settled on (recently) the 15'ish GB size and am happy so far. However, I don't have a 4K TV yet either. That opinion might change drastically when that happens.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Crone Crone oh yeah, I looked up what a remux is. It is essentially a 1:1 copy of the movie just with the extraneous stuff like video menus and such stripped out. So if you download a remux, you are essentially getting the absolute highest quality version of the movie (from that particular media source) you can get without downloading the entire bluray iso. I didn't know that, and now I'm gonna have to start downloading a few more remuxes it seems. Hopefully this will be a thing when 4k rips are more common too, but honestly I'm not sure if UHD blurays work the same or not.

So basically if you want the best quality you can get, but don't want the entire bluray, grab a remux. I learned something today too.

Tolwen

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So yeah I would only try and join Apollo. That worked out well. I turned down a Red invite a few months ago too feelsbad. Does Red have locked invites atm? I know about the interview. I always feel I would fail that thing even with being on Oink and What forever. It doesn't feel right to go full force Spotify yet. Anyone transition from torrenting to music streaming? Damn what was such a loss to me.

Tolwen

ok thanks that makes sense. Just read r/trackers. That Apollo message vs the Red milestone total opposites. Hopefully Apollo can still be something good. It was probably best to be in both and maybe even Waffles but I'm not sure how that site is right now.

Does anyone torrent off a SSD? I just bought my first SSD 960 evo 500gb. Im pretty sure that was total overkill for me though. It was $200. I'm not sure if I should buy a WD Red for torrenting. I just missed two deals one on WD Black 2tb for $87 total from Amazon which I'm sore I didn't buy right away. Another was $75 for laptop hybrid 2tb Firecuda which I think would've been a lot quieter than the Black.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Does anyone torrent off a SSD? I just bought my first SSD 960 evo 500gb. Im pretty sure that was total overkill for me though. It was $200. I'm not sure if I should buy a WD Red for torrenting. I just missed two deals one on WD Black 2tb for $87 total from Amazon which I'm sore I didn't buy right away. Another was $75 for laptop hybrid 2tb Firecuda which I think would've been a lot quieter than the Black.

Torrenting off that SSD is pointless, as your max internet speed is a tiny fraction of what the Read / Write speed is on your SSD. Plus, you are going to up the number of read / write cycles unnecessarily on your SSD. I have a separate 4TB storage disk in my PC that is essentially a torrent folder scratch disk, and storage for a few other things. Just use a traditional HD for your torrent folder and save the wear / tear / useable space on your SSD.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I have a small 32Gb SLC SSD that I use as lvmcache in my torrent box mostly because I can, since the 6 Tb SAS HDD I got inside can more than handle my gigabit connection.

Life is not the same without freshon.tv . I'm getting my tv series now from iptorrents and torrentleech and they have releases from weird groups that don't sync with subtitles and other crap. My uploads have gone to crap as well.

Tolwen

Torrenting off that SSD is pointless, as your max internet speed is a tiny fraction of what the Read / Write speed is on your SSD. Plus, you are going to up the number of read / write cycles unnecessarily on your SSD. I have a separate 4TB storage disk in my PC that is essentially a torrent folder scratch disk, and storage for a few other things. Just use a traditional HD for your torrent folder and save the wear / tear / useable space on your SSD.

I figured I'd ask since I've only had an SSD for like a week now. The plan was OS/games on SSD and backup/torrents on nas hard drive. This stuff is all new to me since the last time I had a new computer was 2008. I even had a IDE drive I was using as backup.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I figured I'd ask since I've only had an SSD for like a week now and it's new to me. The plan was OS/games on SSD and backup/torrents on nas hard drive. This stuff is all new to me since the last time I had a new computer was 2008.

You've got the right plan in mind. OS / Games / Apps on SSD. Media / Torrents / Storage on a traditional HD.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Still looking for an invite to something like BTN /TV-Vault / Morethan as a back up to IPTorrents

Anyone know anything good or bad about torrentinvites org ?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I need a good site that has packs of movies so that I can rebuild my server!!
What quality are you looking to get? My collection is unfortunately a ton of 720p still, but going to start working on upgrading it soon.

I think you probably belong to almost every site I belong to, but just in case, do you have, or are you looking for, Torrentleech or PassThePopcorn? Both of those would be horrible for downloading massive amounts of movies all at once and trying to maintain ratio, but thought I'd offer anyway. Honestly when I'm looking to upgrade quality or get something I lost, IPT is where I go, but I know you have that. I've just started getting Dolby Atmos remuxes/4k if available in preparation for hopefully upgrading my home theater system, and I've gotta spend those 75k bonus points somewhere!

Or if there's anything else I can do for you, as you're vaguely aware of what kind of content I have, PM me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What quality are you looking to get? My collection is unfortunately a ton of 720p still, but going to start working on upgrading it soon.

I think you probably belong to almost every site I belong to, but just in case, do you have, or are you looking for, Torrentleech or PassThePopcorn? Both of those would be horrible for downloading massive amounts of movies all at once and trying to maintain ratio, but thought I'd offer anyway. Honestly when I'm looking to upgrade quality or get something I lost, IPT is where I go, but I know you have that. I've just started getting Dolby Atmos remuxes/4k if available in preparation for hopefully upgrading my home theater system, and I've gotta spend those 75k bonus points somewhere!

Or if there's anything else I can do for you, as you're vaguely aware of what kind of content I have, PM me.
Yeah overall I am fine and have access to those sites. Just wish there was a good site for large movie packs.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
msg me for IPT invite if you still need, i think i have like 10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Edit: I'm a dumbass. I completely forgot that my TV is 3 feet from my router, but I hadn't gotten around to finding a short network cord, and so it was still on wireless. FML. So stupid.

So I tried streaming 4k on my local Plex server and it was buffering.. wtf? Gigabit connections, at least 100 Mbps, so I don't understand. Server is set to Direct Play, so it wasn't my computer not transcoding fast enough. I don't get it. Any ideas?

Edit: And when you start throwing around 60gb movie files, you really start to see the flaws in your system. I really need to invest in a USB 3.0 external HD, as Plex is having issues streaming 4k even on local network, as I pointed out above, and copying shit between a thumb drive in theory isn't bad, but when it copies over at 10Mb/sec, its so slow!

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Void Void So just tried playing Star Trek movie via USB at 4k, and the audio was off. It was an Atmos 7.1 file, but I don't have anything but my TV speakers. When I loaded the file it said something about how the source can't play anything but the image. Do you know what this error is? I wouldn't download Atmos files, but sometimes, there aren't other 4k options. Was it my lack of Atmos that screwed it up?

Also, I streamed a file at 4k through Plex, and it buffered like crazy, but then I did the same file off USB, and it was night and day difference. Plex says it was using Direct Play, but there was no way. Just got my 3 TB external drive in, so I guess it doesn't matter, will just go straight from this for my 4k content, but thought that was odd.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Crone Crone I don't know everything about this, but I do know that if you don't have a specific player that can handle Atmos it will fuck everything up. Just look at comments on most of the Atmos torrents on IPT and you'll see what I mean. Were you playing it directly through the TVs own functionality? If so, I'm certain it wouldn't have Atmos capability since no one would buy a super-expensive receiver like I just did then.

As far as the buffering and all that, without knowing your specific setup I can't say what the issue might be. Assuming everything you have is gigabit, that should be more than enough. You might have had something in Plex still trying to transcode, who knows? What are you streaming to anyway? Not every device streams 4k the same from what I understand? Having just ordered a 4k TV I'll probably be facing this soon too, but until then I can only guess. I seem to remember a_skeleton_03 saying something about not using Plex for local playback, you should use Kodi instead. Perhaps that is the reason. I know I will be using Kodi simply because I don't really like the Plex layout at all, and only use it when I am forced to.

Speaking of USB though, if you hadn't already bought the USB one I was going to suggest you get a network-capable external drive, since I seem to remember you saying you had a router or switch right nearby. I just can't fathom moving shit around every time I want to watch or copy new items.