Torrents

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crone Crone I don't know everything about this, but I do know that if you don't have a specific player that can handle Atmos it will fuck everything up. Just look at comments on most of the Atmos torrents on IPT and you'll see what I mean. Were you playing it directly through the TVs own functionality? If so, I'm certain it wouldn't have Atmos capability since no one would buy a super-expensive receiver like I just did then.

As far as the buffering and all that, without knowing your specific setup I can't say what the issue might be. Assuming everything you have is gigabit, that should be more than enough. You might have had something in Plex still trying to transcode, who knows? What are you streaming to anyway? Not every device streams 4k the same from what I understand? Having just ordered a 4k TV I'll probably be facing this soon too, but until then I can only guess. I seem to remember a_skeleton_03 saying something about not using Plex for local playback, you should use Kodi instead. Perhaps that is the reason. I know I will be using Kodi simply because I don't really like the Plex layout at all, and only use it when I am forced to.

Speaking of USB though, if you hadn't already bought the USB one I was going to suggest you get a network-capable external drive, since I seem to remember you saying you had a router or switch right nearby. I just can't fathom moving shit around every time I want to watch or copy new items.
Yea, I was playing it through the TVs own functionality, which for sure doesn't have any Atmos support. I don't even have a soundbar at the moment. The audio played, but it was out of sync, and I should have read the IPT comments first because a few different people were having OOS issues with the audio, and other various playback issues.

I'll have to check out Kodi. Plex has worked so well, I can't imagine why this isn't working. I'll keep troubleshooting, as I was having buffering issues even on a 3rd the size 1080p file as well.

As for moving shit around. The wife and I don't get to watch movies very often, so it won't be an issue. If this was something I was shuffling around every day, I'd figure out a different solution. Thanks again Void for all your help.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'll have to check out Kodi. Plex has worked so well, I can't imagine why this isn't working. I'll keep troubleshooting, as I was having buffering issues even on a 3rd the size 1080p file as well.
I tell people that Kodi is for people with any slightly advanced setup and can play it locally from a machine. Plex is for people that want to be able to share media or receive shares and don't care too much about quality.

Sounds like you need to go Kodi for sure.

Crone

I tell people that Kodi is for people with any slightly advanced setup and can play it locally from a machine. Plex is for people that want to be able to share media or receive shares and don't care too much about quality.

Sounds like you need to go Kodi for sure.
Only problem I have is that Plex should work, but it's not, and Plex doesn't cost anything to get Kodi up and running, while for Kodi I'd have to invest in some other thing, like the nVidia Shield.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Used my Ps4 for everything, until recently where I switched to the Smart Apps on my LG TV because I can do 4k through those, compared to being limited to 1080p on the Ps4.
Yeah I think that 4k on the embedded TV one is a theoretical 4k. Check on the Plex forums or r/plex and see if anyone has a sample file that works on the same exact TV model to see if you have a network bottleneck or you might need to handbrake every file to run properly.

Crone

Yeah I think that 4k on the embedded TV one is a theoretical 4k. Check on the Plex forums or r/plex and see if anyone has a sample file that works on the same exact TV model to see if you have a network bottleneck or you might need to handbrake every file to run properly.
Well, the issue is, as of right now I have no other option to play 4k. So it's either this fake 4k on the LG TV apps, or guaranteed 1080p.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well, the issue is, as of right now I have no other option to play 4k. So it's either this fake 4k on the LG TV apps, or guaranteed 1080p.
Right, get that sample from someone and see if you have a network issue and then we can troubleshoot from there.

Crone

Right, get that sample from someone and see if you have a network issue and then we can troubleshoot from there.
So wait a minute... if I use the LG TV Plex App, from their "app store", shit buffers constantly, and has an issue. If I just go into "sources", like where normally I would go to look at USB content, there is a Plex Server thing there. It's not pretty like when using the Plex app, but I tested it from there, and shit is for sure in 4k, as it triggers my 4k TV settings, and I get no buffering? wtf?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So wait a minute... if I use the LG TV Plex App, from their "app store", shit buffers constantly, and has an issue. If I just go into "sources", like where normally I would go to look at USB content, there is a Plex Server thing there. It's not pretty like when using the Plex app, but I tested it from there, and shit is for sure in 4k, as it triggers my 4k TV settings, and I get no buffering? wtf?
Yeah I don't trust the TV apps, they are pure garbage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Yeah I don't trust the TV apps, they are pure garbage.
Only reason I ever thought they were shit was because of how slow they were due to the actual specs of the TV. Given this is a 2016 TV it's not so bad. Questions is, is it still running off the plex server when I run stuff not through the app? Or is it basically just a direct play option?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Only reason I ever thought they were shit was because of how slow they were due to the actual specs of the TV. Given this is a 2016 TV it's not so bad. Questions is, is it still running off the plex server when I run stuff not through the app? Or is it basically just a direct play option?
Wish I knew. Quit asking here and use the Plex forum or subreddit :)

Crone

Wish I knew. Quit asking here and use the Plex forum or subreddit :)
So I didn't realize the name of it, but what I'm seeing is the Plex DLNA server. Plex reddit doesn't know why the performance differences between App and DLNA server, but if it'll direct play in 4k through the DLNA server just fine, then might return this new external drive, as there isn't a reason to go back and fourth anymore.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I didn't realize the name of it, but what I'm seeing is the Plex DLNA server. Plex reddit doesn't know why the performance differences between App and DLNA server, but if it'll direct play in 4k through the DLNA server just fine, then might return this new external drive, as there isn't a reason to go back and fourth anymore.
Yeah DLNA is a standard across the board for devices which is why you don't have a UI and all of that.

The app on those TV's is garbage because it doesn't just play it, it tries to act like a full fledged app. It needs to just direct stream only. Instead I bet $1 that your server is having to transcode for that garbage app when it shouldn't need to at all.

Crone

Yeah DLNA is a standard across the board for devices which is why you don't have a UI and all of that.

The app on those TV's is garbage because it doesn't just play it, it tries to act like a full fledged app. It needs to just direct stream only. Instead I bet $1 that your server is having to transcode for that garbage app when it shouldn't need to at all.
In this case it ended up being the App, but not specific to LGs TV Smart Apps. Plex doesn't support h.265 , and so it was having to transcode it to h.264. This is also why it was doing it on a 1080p file I had gotten as well apparently.

But, as said, DLNA server will stream it just fine no problems.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Torrent site is probably myanonymouse. I personally use irchighway. Several posts in this thread with instructions on using it I believe, and if not, ask and I'll type something up again.

Bullock

Molten Core Raider
HD4free seem to be letting people in again at the moment - I have 1 invite spare - PM me your email and a pinky swear not to be a douche as they are quite strict on activity/seeding :)