Total War: Warhammer

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It doesn't unless they changed it. To play the 1st games' factions you need to own it. 2 only is just the elves, lizard dudes, and rat dudes,

Oblio Oblio

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well shit...

So, some of this might have changed mind you, but this is how it worked as of a year ago

Buying 1 gave you access to just 1 things, and whatever dlc factions you bought
Buying 2 without 1 just gave you access to 2 stuff and whatever DLC factions you buy for it
Owning 1 as well as 2 lets you play all of the factions (maybe except 1-2) you own across both games in a combined campaign through the 2nd game.
There will be an eventual 3rd game where the same sort of pattern will increase a tier

2 is a better polished game and the Vortex campaign was fun, but it's very limited if you're mostly interested in just a standard campaign run.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got both - been wanting this for a long time. Any "things I wish I knew when I started" I should know before diving in?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Just got both - been wanting this for a long time. Any "things I wish I knew when I started" I should know before diving in?

Until you get a good grip on things... choose an easy race/leader to play. Specifically something like High Elves/Tirion(you can do almost anything with an army of nothing but Lothien Sea Guard units)

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
One thing worth knowing on the whole 'playing WH1 races in the WH2 combined campaign' thing--you need to own WH1 to use those races, you don't need to install WH1. As long as it shows up in your Steam library, you're good to go.

Just to save you some hard drive space.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great game so far. I went Dwarves my first time for maximum easiness. It seems like just attacking an outpost, razing it, and then moving on is better than actually occupying - at least in the early game.

Not sure which race I will play next. What's the most off-the-wall faction to play/the most interesting?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
probably the wood elves, chaos, and maybe even sand zombies (tomb king)

orks are the hardest to play...I personally have never been able to win a campaign with the orks...either i get sandwiched by the dwarves and more orks or just dwarves...

the unit parity between ork and dwarf is insane...best way to win i think is numbers...

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Great game so far. I went Dwarves my first time for maximum easiness. It seems like just attacking an outpost, razing it, and then moving on is better than actually occupying - at least in the early game.

Not sure which race I will play next. What's the most off-the-wall faction to play/the most interesting?
It really depends. Unless you know you can’t defend the city it’s probably better to occupy. The game is about empire building and more cities are more money.

My main early game goal is to focus on upgrading my starting province to be self sufficient with T3 walls on the minor settlements and stabilizing public order and balancing money, growth, and unit production buildings. Sometimes you can farm rebellions for money and exp. While I’m building up walls I fights as many battles In the surrounding area, but close enough to home to protect my unwalled cities. The more battles you have the more experience you lord has and you can level up the Red and sometimes blue skill trees. Getting as much experience as possible on the lords is extremely important. Do everything you can, let armies live so you can fight them twice etc. By the time your starting province is fully fortified on minor settlements you have a higher level Lord with a powerful army and you can start expanding and getting more armies.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Was watching the Everchosen tournament which had the new units in it. The Skaven Snipers and mini death wheels are insanely good. Not sure about the ratling gunners because nobody has used them yet.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let me get this right... a "sea battle" in TWWH2 is when two land armies, embarked on transport ships, meet on the open sea and an island magically appears so they can have a land battle right there on the high seas?

They had naval battles done fairly well in Empire and Napoleon but hey...

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Let me get this right... a "sea battle" in TWWH2 is when two land armies, embarked on transport ships, meet on the open sea and an island magically appears so they can have a land battle right there on the high seas?

They had naval battles done fairly well in Empire and Napoleon but hey...

Yeah its terrible but its way better than the way it was before which was you had to auto resolve it then pray to the RNG gods that half your units didn't get nuked for no reason. At least this way you can fight the battle to prevent that from happening

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They haven't said it, but there probably was some licensing issues there, what with Man O'War being a separate tabletop game from Warhammer Fantasy.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah its terrible but its way better than the way it was before which was you had to auto resolve it then pray to the RNG gods that half your units didn't get nuked for no reason. At least this way you can fight the battle to prevent that from happening

Good to know, it cost me a good ten minutes looking for how to build a naval fleet in port city like I did in Empire, until I finally realized there's no such thing.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Way to much going on in Total War Warhammer compared to shogun or Rome to make naval battles viable. Soo many more unit types, magic, monsters, flying units etc.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
HsgV6Ok.png

man, those close victories barely help you win the campaign in the long run.

• 1Worf