Total War: Warhammer

Meester

Trakanon Raider
Just watched his analysis, and he kept pointing out that it's mostly an issue for the high difficulties, so one can dodge that bullet by going down a difficulty level at least.
Higher difficulties are just AI cheats. That always bothers me which is why I go normal and add some mods that make the AI perform better.

In an ideal world there would only be at most a couple of difficulties, low for those who just want to play around and normal which the devs would constantly upgrade so the AI doesn't have to reply on cheats. I realise getting an AI to perform is like herding cats though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think we play the game very differently. What quests require require siege battles? The only time I’ve ever not attacked a walled settlement on the same turn I laid siege in WH2 is if it’s a faction that doesn’t start with a siege attacker unit like Ghorst or the white dwarf. Waiting for siege attrition for an easy auto resolve seems crazy to me.

There have been so many campaigns (very hard+) that it's difficult to remember when I was forced into a siege tactical battle. The sieges I can vaguely recall were a couple of High Elf battles. So, probably the Eltharion (The Warden) and/or Alith Anar (Shadow Rogue) campaigns.

Generally, I hate looking at loading screens, so I only personally play a battle if I am heavily disfavored or it is a forced quest battle.

This means I build my army(s) for auto resolve. The early game is getting up to 1.5 armies worth of tier 1 units (and the 2 or 3 higher tier starter units) with 2-3 artillery pieces. I will often only stay afloat on battle loot and come close to bankruptcy during the sieges. In the early game, the city defenses aren't strong enough to survive this number of troops with 2 siege towers and 1 battering ram, regardless of attrition damage.

After the very early game, my army makeup is going to be (auto complete gives over 70% with 2 siege towers and a ram, a majority of the time):
[in Army 1] 1 Lord, 1 of each hero, 2 - 4 sword and board melee, 2 spear and board melee, 2 or 3 artillery, 6 to 8 ranged (some ranged cav, if available) (if the race has good high tier beasts, I will drop 2 sword melee and then eat into ranged to accommodate them)​
[in Army 2 following army 1] 1 Lord, extra heroes (until one of each is supported), X cavalry/flying units, and X tier 1 melee/ranged overflow from Army 1 (makeup depends on income/raiding, as well as race)​

End game changes heavily depending on race due to beasts.

The low tier beasts, cavalry, and specialized melee suck for any race with good archers (Elves, Rats, Dwarfs, Empire, Vamp Coast, and even Tomb Kings). The melee without shields tend to get wiped out more often than not, in auto resolve, throughout the game.

The races with weak archers are much more difficult. My last play through was the revamped Orcs with LL Paunch; I had to restart 3 times before turn 50, because I couldn't get the war machine going (and besieging the wood elves is fucking dumb with orcs).

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
There have been so many campaigns (very hard+) that it's difficult to remember when I was forced into a siege tactical battle. The sieges I can vaguely recall were a couple of High Elf battles. So, probably the Eltharion (The Warden) and/or Alith Anar (Shadow Rogue) campaigns.

Generally, I hate looking at loading screens, so I only personally play a battle if I am heavily disfavored or it is a forced quest battle.

This means I build my army(s) for auto resolve. The early game is getting up to 1.5 armies worth of tier 1 units (and the 2 or 3 higher tier starter units) with 2-3 artillery pieces. I will often only stay afloat on battle loot and come close to bankruptcy during the sieges. In the early game, the city defenses aren't strong enough to survive this number of troops with 2 siege towers and 1 battering ram, regardless of attrition damage.

After the very early game, my army makeup is going to be (auto complete gives over 70% with 2 siege towers and a ram, a majority of the time):
[in Army 1] 1 Lord, 1 of each hero, 2 - 4 sword and board melee, 2 spear and board melee, 2 or 3 artillery, 6 to 8 ranged (some ranged cav, if available) (if the race has good high tier beasts, I will drop 2 sword melee and then eat into ranged to accommodate them)​
[in Army 2 following army 1] 1 Lord, extra heroes (until one of each is supported), X cavalry/flying units, and X tier 1 melee/ranged overflow from Army 1 (makeup depends on income/raiding, as well as race)​

End game changes heavily depending on race due to beasts.

The low tier beasts, cavalry, and specialized melee suck for any race with good archers (Elves, Rats, Dwarfs, Empire, Vamp Coast, and even Tomb Kings). The melee without shields tend to get wiped out more often than not, in auto resolve, throughout the game.

The races with weak archers are much more difficult. My last play through was the revamped Orcs with LL Paunch; I had to restart 3 times before turn 50, because I couldn't get the war machine going (and besieging the wood elves is fucking dumb with orcs).
You’re a fucking genius. I started a beastmen campaign and have run into the gate bug so many times that I think I’m going to start playing like you lol. How many fucking years until they fix this fucking shit. Also got fucked a couple times because of the movement bug that makes you not be able to change stances at the proper movement percentages. These bugs are have been in this game since WH1 launch.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

You’re a fucking genius. I started a beastmen campaign and have run into the gate bug so many times that I think I’m going to start playing like you lol. How many fucking years until they fix this fucking shit. Also got fucked a couple times because of the movement bug that makes you not be able to change stances at the proper movement percentages. These bugs are have been in this game since WH1 launch.

Do you have many mods going?

I don't recall hitting too many bugs playing the Steel Faith Overhaul II mod (SFO). At the very least, if you haven't yet, get the "Community Bug Fix" mod to try to cut down on the vanilla bugs. Although, I think the siege gate bug is so deep in the code (and the developer that wrote it is long gone) that it is hard for anyone to fix.

I vaguely recall reading that Beastmen were the lowest selling race, so they probably have no allotted development time for anything to do with them, and are deemed "good enough" until WH3 comes around with a bunch of Chaos type stuff.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
The patch notes look lots of good stuff except for two thing. They nerfed the fuck out of Ungrim’s slayers which really sucks. They were really a fun flavor and now aren’t going to be that much better than a generic lords slayers. You’re gonna be way better just building him a normal army now. The other one was the HUgE nerf to VC’s dark pact ability from +15 leadership to +5. That one really pissed me off. It’s gonna be really fun fighting unbreakable 60 starting leadership swordsman with 39 leadership skeletons. Plus empire gets a +10 attack/leadership tech early that is so OP. Who the fuck thinks VC’s need a leadership need right now? Esxpecially since fear and terror are a joke on higher difficulty’s.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nerfing dwarves when they're consistently getting their asses kicked by greenskins and skaven atm is an interesting take.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’m really liking the thrott and drycha campaigns. Thrott is just a super fun location and his mutation mechanic is super fun and OP when you figure it out. I haven’t got far in my Drycha campaign but it seems really fun too. I just restarted thrott now that I got the hang of his mechanic and mutations (I was an idiot the first go round and didn’t realize you unlocked the mutations permanently for all units until about turn 30)and am going to try out the legendary chaos invasion. Should be very challenging with them spawning right in my back yard. Great DLC.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
On my wishlist for WH3 is getting rid of 8 slot starting cities or changing the slot progression. Only having three building slots in your main settlement until T4 fucking sucks when you play Golden Order, Karak Kadrin, The Barrow Legion, etc. and especially Teclis when one of those slots is a port. If they would change the the progression to 1 slot at T1, 3 slots at T2, 5 at T3 and 1 extra at T4 and T5 it would make it so much better and make some more diverse options available for buildings and army comps. It’s really become an issue with the recent changes to growth and negative public order growth penalties.

Meester

Trakanon Raider
Currently No 1 as Throt, soon Mallus will be mine.

Going to do the Skaven thing and be the enemy of my enemies [DE] enemy [HE]. Two less groups of pointy ears in Naggaroth soon.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to starting sisters of twilight.

Wood Elves are not easy to use. Both early infantry options (spears and archers) seem strictly worse than their high elf counterparts, so am I just suppsed to sorta turtle in the witchwood until I can doomstack with waywatchers? My only real options for enemies atm are Morathi or teleporting over to another tree and rumbling with them, and I'm feeling kinda wary to pick a fight with how crappy my low tier units are (even by the standards of low tier units)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

I only have TWW 1 that I played for a few hours. This is my first Total War game and I'm having trouble understanding how to interpret unit and composition strengths and weaknesses. Where should I start?

Meester

Trakanon Raider
I only have TWW 1 that I played for a few hours. This is my first Total War game and I'm having trouble understanding how to interpret unit and composition strengths and weaknesses. Where should I start?
First Im going to say Warhammer 2 is an improvement over Warhammer I in pretty much everyway, most of the Warhammer I races were improved in Warhammer 2 and so they haven't been updated for I. Of course a lot of things that apply to 2 still apply to I. So spears kill cavalry and monsters, sword infantry kill spears, monsters kill sword infantry, two handed weapons are damage dealers, charge into enemies rear to rout them faster, clump up enemies to make your spells do more damage etc.

To understand things I would say https://www.youtube.com/user/LegendofTotalWar who does videos like

Little guide here too -

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
Spam archers with artillery, rarely goes wrong.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess with Moulder and Rictus confederated I'm just supposed to hide in the witchwood heathlands ambushing their armies until I get to 300 health. Apparently I should have gone after Avelorn or Oreon immediately.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I guess with Moulder and Rictus confederated I'm just supposed to hide in the witchwood heathlands ambushing their armies until I get to 300 health. Apparently I should have gone after Avelorn or Oreon immediately.

Sounds like your playing the Sisters on the Vortex. Not sure what to tell you, since when I played them, it was on the Mortal Empires map.

FWIW, what I found for the Sisters and the WE in general is that since you don't have to expand beyond the Hearthlands around the major tree settlements, your best bet is to pick someone nearby to ally with and just go around murder-hoboing their enemies to get them to like you plus make you lots of money. You can just Sack/Raze your way around to help your ally to expand to act as a buffer for you and eventually, if they are a major faction, to try and get a Defensive Alliance so they will get dragged into any wars if someone declares war on you. A Military Alliance is viable but iffy, since you have to be careful if they declare war on another of your allies who may be near a different tree settlement.

Each major tree settlement at Tier 4-5 should generate enough money for 1 army; plus since you only have to spend a relatively smaller amount of money on upgrading your trees, you can build up a pretty good stockpile for if you need an extra emergency army and go into the negative income temporarily.

I initially used a heavy archer army for the Sisters, since the spears are pretty junky other than as a meat shield. Hawk Rider doomstack is pretty good for them, just make sure to have Lightning Strike since they could run out of ammo against a sufficiently large force. The Sisters themselves are a great mobile artillery unit and you can get a stupidly good mileage out of them during a battle.

Late game, I'd say a Treeman doomstack is your strongest army, with some life magic thrown in to keep them healed plus the damage it can do. Shadow magic is also good for damage as well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like your playing the Sisters on the Vortex. Not sure what to tell you, since when I played them, it was on the Mortal Empires map.
Well one of the major differences between Vortex and ME is the start position of Moulder. In ME they start in the Hellpit way over north of Kislev but in Vortex they were crammed into Naggaroth with Rictus so as soon as they got done giving Malekith and Alith Anar swirlies they turned towards me.