Total War: Warhammer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Possible leaked artwork, looks a little like a loading screen.
And those are mortal chaos knights in the foreground, rather than bloodletters or something like that. Assuming that's real (and it probably is), then it looks like the Chaos factions will probably be the united forces of each god, rather than just being daemons.

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
They just need to add my Ogre Kingdoms and call it a day, nothing will beat the lard bodies.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Was absolutely not expecting Cathay, but not surprised either. After how well TW:3 Kingdoms did in China, they must really want that money. Which now leaves Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms for DLC, unless they are planning on announcing them later, like they did with Skaven.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Was absolutely not expecting Cathay, but not surprised either. After how well TW:3 Kingdoms did in China, they must really want that money. Which now leaves Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms for DLC, unless they are planning on announcing them later, like they did with Skaven.

Legend thinks the preorder race is going to be Chaos dwarves

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Cathay was a big surprise. Wouldn't have placed money on any of the Far East cultures showing up, and certainly not as one of the launch factions. To the best of my knowledge, they've never even had an unofficial ruleset in White Dwarf for the tabletop, so this'll be the first faction that CA will essentially be creating out of nothing. Looking forward to seeing what they actually look like.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
People on the TW Reddit frequently cite some reference to CA saying they'd eventually put *all* the factions in - and shit, why wouldn't they? Once this is out, they can keep churning out DLC. I'm assuming at release it will be Chaos, Kislev, Cathay, and either Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarfs (and the other being the free pre-order DLC). After that, they put out DLC for over 3 years after TWW2's release - I imagine they'd like to keep making money. If they're doing Cathay, I don't see why we wouldn't eventually get Ind, Araby, a proper Southern Realms (although the easy way to handle that would be to just pay Cataph to integrate his mod into the game), etc.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I'm very curious what the inclusion of Cathay means for the TW:W3 Mortal Empires campaign - I'm assuming they'll expand the map even further east to include all the Dark Lands, Ind, and Cathay proper. That's going to be an absolutely colossal campaign map; even though CA has gotten much better about optimizing end-turn times recently, I'd hate to see a repeat of the waiting we had when Mortal Empires first hit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can someone explain to my ignorant heretical person what the last bit is teasing of the map with Gunpowder Road, Warpstone Desert, etc..? Is this some sort of lore implication, or just a nod to fans?

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Can someone explain to my ignorant heretical person what the last bit is teasing of the map with Gunpowder Road, Warpstone Desert, etc..? Is this some sort of lore implication, or just a nod to fans?
The map is the nod to the inclusion of Cathay as a playable faction in the game, which is also confirmed here: Total War: WARHAMMER III FAQ - Total War

I don't think Cathay ever got any official tabletop models ever (even Vampire Coast had some models, IIRC), but Games Workshop are giving Creative Assembly the go-ahead to add them anyway. Here's a vid from GW about the design process for Kislev and Cathay:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome, so does this act as a gateway to getting some of the Sigmar units involved or is that its own thing completely? Again, forgive the ignorance. I know 40k a bit, but this version is out of my realm of experience

Last edited:

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I think all of the Age of Sigmar stuff remains part of a separate IP, so it's probably not going to cross-over into TW:W3. Like how in Age of Sigmar, Morathi is some kind of winged Medusa instead of the slutty Dark Elf queen she currently is in TW:W2.

My general understanding is that the Total War: Warhammer games are all set vaguely around the reign of Karl Franz (roughly 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy), so that Creative Assembly can use the maximum amount of lore/content/characters from the setting as a whole.

Here's a Google Drive link to a ton of old Warhammer Fantasy stuff in PDF format. The Daemons of Chaos and Ogre Kingdoms books are probably a good preview of some of the units/heroes/etc. that will be in TW:W3 eventually: 8th Edition Army Books – Google Drive

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So to be clear, they're talking about the third grand campaign, and each of the four chaos gods is one of the playable main factions? Given how they already fumbled the DLChaos Campaign in the first part, they better come up with some crazy stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So to be clear, they're talking about the third grand campaign, and each of the four chaos gods is one of the playable main factions? Given how they already fumbled the DLChaos Campaign in the first part, they better come up with some crazy stuff.
From the announcement there will be 6 playable factions, each of the Chaos ones + Kislev and Canthay on the "good guys" side. There will also be a preorder faction that'll be released at the same time(can get the preorder bonus up to 1 week AFTER launch, so you can wait to see people's impressions instead of relying on press/influencers reviews and still get it for "free"). That faction is likely to be either Chaos Dwarves or Ogre Kingdoms.

Not sure what you mean about coming up with crazy stuff, they already have all the units and stuff, Chaos was one of the very fleshed out army in Warhammer. They can give them unique campaign mechanics based on their theme too.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From the announcement there will be 6 playable factions, each of the Chaos ones + Kislev and Canthay on the "good guys" side. There will also be a preorder faction that'll be released at the same time(can get the preorder bonus up to 1 week AFTER launch, so you can wait to see people's impressions instead of relying on press/influencers reviews and still get it for "free"). That faction is likely to be either Chaos Dwarves or Ogre Kingdoms.

Not sure what you mean about coming up with crazy stuff, they already have all the units and stuff, Chaos was one of the very fleshed out army in Warhammer. They can give them unique campaign mechanics based on their theme too.

He is talking about Chaos Undivided with Archon, that was the pre-order race in the first game. If your not a Warhammer Nerd, that's all you know about Chaos.

For Quineloe Quineloe , as for why it was kind of lacking as a race:

The original plan was for it to be a little bonus that they threw together, and never sold or really played that seriously. It was lacking in terms of fully fleshed out campaign as well as having a small research tree and no real race mechanics. Of course, people were upset and getting pissy that they couldn't have the Chaos faction-lite if they missed the pre-order, so CA (after something like 6+ months) decided they liked money, and let people buy it.

They have revamped Chaos Undivided twice (I think); once when they made Norsca playable as pre-order bonus for WH2, and again last year(?).

The individual chaos factions will indeed have, a bunch of crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I recently replayed DLChaos with the warhammer 2 client and it still fucking stinks. Even basic stuff such as marauder units no longer being part of your unit tree because with high tech armies they'd just suicide from infighting was not fixed. Which is a shame because imo the voice feedback of their units was the best voice feedback in the history of Strategy games. I could listen to that shit all day.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I loved the Chaos responses (and well everyone) from Dawn of War:"I feel the warp overtaking me... it is a good pain!"

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I recently replayed DLChaos with the warhammer 2 client and it still fucking stinks. Even basic stuff such as marauder units no longer being part of your unit tree because with high tech armies they'd just suicide from infighting was not fixed. Which is a shame because imo the voice feedback of their units was the best voice feedback in the history of Strategy games. I could listen to that shit all day.
Oh yeah original chaos warrior DLC is pretty rinky dinky shit, it's not at all what the "real" Chaos is. It's gonna have big demons and smaller demons and casters doing more demon shit, not half naked men and mangy dogs. While I don't know what kind of army mechanics they'll have, I expect they'll probably be a lot better made, using all the fancy new techs they added in TW2 like having special offering menus and Chaos gifts and whatever the shit, instead of just being a crappy horde army with nothing unique or interesting about them besides getting a shit start.

They'll have plenty of videos and stuff before release so you can see what's up then but I expect much more fleshed out armies and cooler unique mechanics for all of them since that's been the trend with TW2, and they took plenty of time to get TW3 ready too.