Total War: Warhammer

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The dev commentary on the second video really points towards having a lot.. A LOT.. of DLC additions in this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Pretty new to the series - but as far as DLC's go.. it wasnt really a "ton" in my mind. But then again, since I came late - I got pretty much all of them for less than 30 bucks from third party steam codes. I just felt like they sounded like they were going to go harder than any previous game.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the Total War series has been DLC fests since probably around Empire. Nothing really new here. It just wasn't until Warhammer that those DLCs were actually somewhat "worth" buying.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They need to make a 40k game.

Somehow I've taken a strong interest in nuking inferior races from orbit.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know alot of people hope this, Im just not sure how it would work
Yeah, I'm not really sure if this is something CA would ever tackle. I'd fucking LOVE if they did, but the Dawn of War games are probably the closest recreation we'll get.

If they open that pandora's box on W40k, I feel like they'd then have to tackle WW1, WW2, etc. I thought the natural progression after Empire would lead them to tackle these. But, when they went back to Rome and Shogun, I figured that was the indicator they'd probably never tackle that era of warfare. After their work with Warhammer 1+2, I'm not so sure anymore.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I'm not really sure if this is something CA would ever tackle. I'd fucking LOVE if they did, but the Dawn of War games are probably the closest recreation we'll get.

If they open that pandora's box on W40k, I feel like they'd then have to tackle WW1, WW2, etc. I thought the natural progression after Empire would lead them to tackle these. But, when they went back to Rome and Shogun, I figured that was the indicator they'd probably never tackle that era of warfare. After their work with Warhammer 1+2, I'm not so sure anymore.

The thing that gets me about a 40k game made by CA... do you limit the Space Marines to 1 chapter? If so which one? If not, then its most of the playable 'races' and the game probably lacks at least some depth and replayability.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The thing that gets me about a 40k game made by CA... do you limit the Space Marines to 1 chapter? If so which one? If not, then its most of the playable 'races' and the game probably lacks at least some depth and replayability.
Like lacking "depth" has ever stopped them? Empire is the fucking poster child for that. "Here's some different colored units! They pretty much all do the same fucking thing...have fun!".

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dawn of War did it like that, you could only play the one chapter that they even made up for the game, the Blood Ravens. I think it works fine, and you can add more Space Marines chapters as DLC after that.

I'd say the bigger issue with 40k is the scale and concepts are way different. In Dawn of War they worked around scale by making it about a small tactical unit doing their own stuff, getting into relatively small skirmishes with other races, so they never needed to bring about the big units or massive numbers. On top of that it worked cause it only required to build temporary bases and stuff, it was outposts and forward bases, never the actual full thing. But Total War has the whole 4x aspect with the territories, politics, conquering the world map and such, and realistically in 40k all of this goes out of the window, it's not doable. The Empire is never allying with any other factions besides the Imperial Guard, at least in Fantasy you can have temporary alliances between dwarves and men and it's not too shocking or anything but in 40k, everyone who's not human is xenos, and they must be purged. And other races work the same way. You can see Skavens having a temporary alliance with some races because they're sneaky motherfuckers, but Tyranids? They probably can't even understand the concept, they're only there to feed.

So you end up with a totally different game than a Total War game, where you don't have a global map in the traditional sense, and you have to reduce the scale because it gets too weird if you have too many Titans and shit going around. You're basically making Dawn of War again at that point.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Like lacking "depth" has ever stopped them? Empire is the fucking poster child for that. "Here's some different colored units! They pretty much all do the same fucking thing...have fun!".

3 Kingdoms comes to mind too now that I think about it.. which is the only other CA game I have played.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If I were doing it, then it would essentially be split up by Legendary Lord (or whatever the equivalent would be). So you'd get an Ultramarines LL, a Dark Angels LL, etc, under the umbrella of Space Marines. Might get a bit complicated if they used those chapters that have more unique troop types (Space Wolves have some stuff, right? I was more of a Fantasy than a 40k guy), but it should generally be workable.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If I were doing it, then it would essentially be split up by Legendary Lord (or whatever the equivalent would be). So you'd get an Ultramarines LL, a Dark Angels LL, etc, under the umbrella of Space Marines. Might get a bit complicated if they used those chapters that have more unique troop types (Space Wolves have some stuff, right? I was more of a Fantasy than a 40k guy), but it should generally be workable.
Pretty much this. It'd essentially be exactly what they do with LLs now in Warhammer.

Daidraco

I think the battle map would translate rather well. its the campaign map that he's saying that would have to have some real ingenious type shit to make it all "work" and make sense. Which I agree. I follow the 40k stuff far more.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
For Total War, the Warhammer 30k would be better. The legions fought on a scale that could fit the model, not to mention the Heresy.

Main issue would be how to "build" your civilization/tech tree and so on.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Have the 40k Human Empire start with all the tech tree researched and switch the paradigm from Building Up to ”trying to keep it all from going to hell”. Why build a +2 food on a settlement, when you can build a sister of battle chapter house in there what will prevent religious uprisings ? Mix it up a little with discovering new STCs and you are golden. It can be done.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
While I do want more awesome 40k games, I'm pretty sure I do not want a Total War: WH40K.

I have certain expectations for TW franchise titles that just would not work well with 40K. Of course they could compromise here and there, change some mechanics about how TW plays and what fits into the setting, and so on. If you force 40K into the TW mold, the end result is likely to make too many concessions on both sides, and ends up being too far from what I see as a TW title and a mediocre representation of the 40K setting.

I'd rather have a great representation of WH40K in a game that is specifically built around that setting.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I do want more awesome 40k games, I'm pretty sure I do not want a Total War: WH40K.

I have certain expectations for TW franchise titles that just would not work well with 40K. Of course they could compromise here and there, change some mechanics about how TW plays and what fits into the setting, and so on. If you force 40K into the TW mold, the end result is likely to make too many concessions on both sides, and ends up being too far from what I see as a TW title and a mediocre representation of the 40K setting.

I'd rather have a great representation of WH40K in a game that is specifically built around that setting.

40k Planetside plz

• 2Like