Total War: Warhammer

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No and cap is 40 atm, before and after this dlc.

Whenever I use this new Waagh mechanic and pick a god the game crashes too, using my previous campaign.

Weird, I thought they usually went out of their way to keep vanilla save games compatible between patches, but maybe the overhaul of the Orks was too much. If you are still trying to salvage it, you could try to respec your lords with the following mod, to see if that does anything:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Really I just wanna be able to have any kind of waagh mechanic. I got zero now, not even the old thing lol.

Almost reclaimed the 8 peaks tho. Nothing will deter me.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Really I just wanna be able to have any kind of waagh mechanic. I got zero now, not even the old thing lol.

Almost reclaimed the 8 peaks tho. Nothing will deter me.

Last resort would be to roll back to 1.8.3 build, until you finish that game.

In Steam:
  • right click on game in your game list
  • click on properties
  • select "BETAS" tab at the top
  • click down arrow next to "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" to open the list
  • select "warhamerii_1.8.3 -"
  • wait for it to patch
  • play

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I made saves past the previous point and it won't load with the old version anymore, just crashes. Drat.

Wish I could waagh. Will finish this anyways.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a good beginner guide to link to for this one. Never played any of the Total War series.
I'm playing the Eye of the Vortex as Elves.

Is it like Civ where I'm meant to start out by grabbing a few of these cities then build them up? Or constantly expand?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Anyone have a good beginner guide to link to for this one. Never played any of the Total War series.

Is it like Civ where I'm meant to start out by grabbing a few of these cities then build them up? Or constantly expand?

It isn't really like Civ, the building is simplified and much more geared towards you making decisions about how to improve your war machine. The campaign map is really there to enhance the tactical battles, whereas in Civ it is reversed and the combat exists to enhance the city-building.

Here is a starter guide you might find helpful. Hard for me to judge what you need since I've been playing Total War games for 20 years:

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Nothing like Civ at all. The building is more like the old Master of Magic game from Microprose(if you are that old) where all the buildings either enhance your unit production or your money production or help protect your cities/settlements.

High Elves are a good place to start as they are one of the easier races to play.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

General advice:
- if you can play Mortal Empires, the Eye of the Vortex mid/endgame aren't very balanced or fun. If you do go for the Vortex option, remember that you don't have to do the rituals, even if another faction completes 95% of them, there are still mechanics which let you block them from winning until you can. Don't let it pressure you.
- as a starter, play with High Elves - Tyrion, he makes archers / spearmen cheaper, and those are some of the most cost efficient and well-rounded units in the game. Get his army to full stack asap
- focus on getting trade agreements, ignore everything else. Having any kind of non-trade agreement with a faction will worsen your reputation with some other factions, and you only want to get into wars which you pick. On your first 10 turns, you want to check every turn if you can make a trade agreement with anyone (open the diplomacy window, sort them by possible trade, you'll quickly see which factions you have an option with). This will generate a ton of income for high elves.
- you want your minor settlements to have growth buildings. This will increase the speed at which you can max your settlements, so you'll have more income / stronger defense / more building options. Once the settlements are all at max level, you can destroy the growth buildings. You also want to build walls in every settlement. You don't have to worry about defending Lothern at the start, it has a very large (14?) unit garrison at the start of the game, which should be safe until at least turn 20-30.
- picking the +growth provincial setting is the best pretty much all of the time

How to start on Mortal Empires:
T1: move north to the border of your province, recruit 2 spearmen & 1 archer
T2: take Tower of lysean, recruit 2 archers, 1 spearmen
T3: move east to the edge of Tower of lysean, recruit archers / spearmen

You want to take Angerial (think it should be done on T4 or 5) asap, after that you run Tyrion down to the dark-elf settlement south, while recruiting a lord with some troops in Angerial. This newly recruited lord needs to rush to the Shrine of Asuryan and colonize it as fast as you can.

If you aren't fast enough, Shrine will be taken by another high elf faction, so you can't really conquer it and will have to wait a long time before getting it.

Some high elf faction will declare war on you in the coming 10 turns, but it should be no problem to crush them after taking this start.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I bought I & II today off the Steam Sale, I have no idea why because I have shit for time but these games have interested me since launch. I guess Zombie Dad will becoming soon because the only time I have to give will cut into sleep.

Any advice for a Total Noob at Total War?

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
If you start as the first lord from any race you can do the "tutorial" that gives you prompts and missions to guide you through the first 10-20 turns. Maybe do the Vortex map first so things aren't quite as overwhelming and unstructured. High elves are considered noob friendly as they have straight forward mechanics and their cheap archers are good vs just about anything the AI will throw at you. As long as you don't go legendary difficulty it's pretty forgiving and even diplomacy mistakes can be corrected in a couple dozen turns.

Not really gameplay but one thing I wish I figured out earlier is, during the end turn cycle through every faction, click on the camera button at the top and change everything to at least fast, and allies/neutral to fastest. Speeds things up considerably and you'll get notices in the event window for any trespasses or treachery anyway so even if you feel like it's cycling too fast you shouldn't "miss" anything important.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I bought I & II today off the Steam Sale, I have no idea why because I have shit for time but these games have interested me since launch. I guess Zombie Dad will becoming soon because the only time I have to give will cut into sleep.

dont pick a hard or very hard campaign to start

• 1Solidarity

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

High Elves(specifically Tyrion), dwarves(Grimbol or the high king) or Empire are probably the easiest races to play/learn the game.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I loved Warhammer I, but I haven't played Warhammer:II yet. I'm craving a grand strategy game, so I snagged it on the Steam Sale.

Should I start with Warhammer: II's campaign, or can I jump right into Mortal Empires and not miss anything? Also, which DLCs are worth grabbing? I have all the Warhammer I shit and grabbed the Curse of the Vampires. Anything else worth grabbing while some stuff is on sale?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I loved Warhammer I, but I haven't played Warhammer:II yet. I'm craving a grand strategy game, so I snagged it on the Steam Sale.

Should I start with Warhammer: II's campaign, or can I jump right into Mortal Empires and not miss anything? Also, which DLCs are worth grabbing? I have all the Warhammer I shit and grabbed the Curse of the Vampires. Anything else worth grabbing while some stuff is on sale?
I'd say it's recommended to play Mortal Empires, Vortex campaign is kinda shit, and the best "vortex" campaigns are the DLC ones that actually don't care about the vortex. It's just kinda shit, but you could do one run to see how it works. It's basically impossible to lose and it just adds stacks of chaos and high tier armies randomly(that's really the worst part) in your territories at certain intervals which wastes a ton of turns to go there, destroy them, then rebuild the shit they broke and culminates in a big fight that's way too easy by the time you get to it unless you're using tier 1 units still for whatever reason(other than elven archers, these are fucking broken even in endgame). The little bit of lore at the end were pretty cool though.

The Skaven DLC is considered core for Skaven since it adds a lot of iconic(and fun) units. I personally still had a lot of fun with standard Skaven but they definitely looked better with the machine guns and shit. I also loved the Tomb Kings, really fun campaign, unique mechanics and awesome units, completely different than Vampire Counts. In general pretty much all the War 2 DLCs have been well received and worth their prices, unlike War1 DLC like Chaos, Beastmen and Wood Elves which were their first DLC which had mitigated reception and are considered the worst races currently especially after the reworks of the original 4.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I recommend skipping Vortex and just play Mortal Empires.I have almost 1000 hours in the game and have completed 1 Vortex campaign and just felt like I wasted my time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'd say it's recommended to play Mortal Empires, Vortex campaign is kinda shit, and the best "vortex" campaigns are the DLC ones that actually don't care about the vortex. It's just kinda shit, but you could do one run to see how it works. It's basically impossible to lose and it just adds stacks of chaos and high tier armies randomly(that's really the worst part) in your territories at certain intervals which wastes a ton of turns to go there, destroy them, then rebuild the shit they broke and culminates in a big fight that's way too easy by the time you get to it unless you're using tier 1 units still for whatever reason(other than elven archers, these are fucking broken even in endgame). The little bit of lore at the end were pretty cool though.

The Skaven DLC is considered core for Skaven since it adds a lot of iconic(and fun) units. I personally still had a lot of fun with standard Skaven but they definitely looked better with the machine guns and shit. I also loved the Tomb Kings, really fun campaign, unique mechanics and awesome units, completely different than Vampire Counts. In general pretty much all the War 2 DLCs have been well received and worth their prices, unlike War1 DLC like Chaos, Beastmen and Wood Elves which were their first DLC which had mitigated reception and are considered the worst races currently especially after the reworks of the original 4.

Yeah, I mistakenly bought the beastman DLC because it's 50% off. Sad to hear that they are one of the worst races. Went ahead and grabbed all the 50% off DLC for WH: II. So, Prophet and Warlock, Queen and Crone, and Tomb Kings. I'll go ahead and skip vortex. Excited to fire this up!