Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Seriously ? Trying to spin this as somehow "better" than SOE's version of kickstarter ?

Look I've given Butler and company as much shit as anyone, but for gods sake , this is no different or honestly slightly worse as now Trion is Johnny come lately "I want a piece of that alpha payment for some minecraft in your mmo" pie.

SOE is getting grief from hell and anyone buying a 99 dollar pack also , but Trion is ok offering tiers 20x that.

Makes sense.
My problem with this is that at least with SOE and EQN, it's an original project. Anyone looking at it can see there was a lot of work put into what's been shown and it shows because it doesn't remind anyone of some other game overall.

But Trove?

I didn't know people were so eager tofund copiesof shit. Especially a $2,500 a pop.

Pre-order I can see because you can cancel when you find out it's garbage. But why in the world would someone want to fund mediocrity?

vs paying for... access. All you get in the Landmark one is access. and a couple decorative items. And at silly high price points. they copied a pre-order formula, NOT a crowdfund formula for designing the packages. the rewards are the same as what you would get with a pre-order.
SoE probably didn't think anyone was actually dumbfuck enough to actually fund aF2P gamefor a few bucks. It was going to get made one way or the other.

Trionknewtheir fans would pay $2,500 for something like this.

It's all about knowing who your customer is and how dumb.

spronk

FPS noob
i hope someone does a reddit ama, "i gave trion $2500 for a shitty f2p game cuz im a dumbass, ama"

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Seriously ? Trying to spin this as somehow "better" than SOE's version of kickstarter ?

Look I've given Butler and company as much shit as anyone, but for gods sake , this is no different or honestly slightly worse as now Trion is Johnny come lately "I want a piece of that alpha payment for some minecraft in your mmo" pie.

SOE is getting grief from hell and anyone buying a 99 dollar pack also , but Trion is ok offering tiers 20x that.

Makes sense.
And you know even less about this game than you do about EQ Landmark

Caliane

My problem with this is that at least with SOE and EQN, it's an original project. Anyone looking at it can see there was a lot of work put into what's been shown and it shows because it doesn't remind anyone of some other game overall.

But Trove?

I didn't know people were so eager tofund copiesof shit. Especially a $2,500 a pop.
Really? go look at all those kickstarters for games, which are basically entirely nostalgia. I mean the Garriott one for example. Looks like complete ass, but people still dropping on it, out of nostalgia over ultima.

But I can't really fault the design of the crowdfund itself there for example either. paying cash, gives "tangible" rewards in regards to the games creation. My only issue there, is I don't trust Garriott. his track record has been ass for some time now.

I'm not really sure how Landmark is an orginal project. and not just a minecraft, etc itself.

And personally I already noted, this one is more interesting to me, as it is using a Starbound, cubeworld, Terraria formula to create interlocking worlds, and actual gameplay.
I feel landmark set the bar pretty low in terms of actual game content. It may be pretty, but where is the game?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

But Trove?

Pre-order I can see because you can cancel when you find out it's garbage. But why in the world would someone want to fund mediocrity?
rrr_img_50247.jpg

Trion, you so cute.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It's a little too cubist for my taste but really in the end what matters is: A) Can your mind fill in the detail gaps? B) Is it fun? Everything else is kind of a wash. If they have those two things, then Landmark, Defiance, and all of the stuff doesn't matter. I like Scott, and I really enjoyed Rift while I was leveling, so I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Scott is an outstanding project manager but (IMO) unproven creatively.

Honestly the harsh ,and I mean harsh class nerfs they did right after launch pissed me off. Yes yes , the sab needed I guess for PVP , (although face planting someone with 5 stacks of charges made me giggle to no end ) , but my other class , the Reaver , didn't really need the bat they took to it.

Oh noes , a tank class can wade into even level mobs and do lots of aoe and survive. Seriously , it hurt no one , did nothing but tickle in PVP , but they still found the need to smack them with the bat.

I'm not sure if they just didn't test shit in beta or what , but what the Sab's could do should have been seen well before launch instead of letting them in and then the nerf bat to them also.
I can accept and understand most of the decisions that needed to be made to get Rift to launch, notwithstanding two massive mistakes :

1. The allocation of responsibility to different people for each class with not enough communication and seemingly no common baseline between them. The problems with class balance were entirely predictable given the system but Trion seemed to make it even worse with their developers responsibility allocation. Either Scott struggles to delegate effectively or he didn't have competent people to delegate to.

2. How easy it was/is to get all the souls and their skill sets. I'd have played for months or years if it hadn't been that way but because of it I've never been interested in going back.

edit : I'm going to add a third for selfish reasons just because I can - whoever is responsible for the neutered state of Bard design is not on my Christmas card list. I was SO pumped when I initially saw them on the class list only to be massively disappointed with them. At least they didn't get to screw up Monks too .....

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I loved Rift, and its post-launch decline is always a source of disappointment for me. I would say that personally, other than the hard-coded faction split, the two things that I disliked most about Rift, post-Launch, was the de-tuning of the rifts/invasions themselves and then the constant, constant nerfing.

Rift was amazing in beta, and then whenever they handed over to the Live team, it became all about nerfing everything fun into oblivion (mostly for PvP balance, btw; another great argument for separate skills areas). Even though my most-played Class/souls were mostly spared (Cleric-justicar/shaman/something, one of my favorite classes of all time) it created a terrible environment. Gazillion has the right idea; adding to player power rather than removing it makes everyone in the community more positive.

Scott was also the best spokesperson for the game and he completely disappeared after launch as well, for various reasons. Add to that the way-overtuned raids and the lack of anything else to do at the end-game (When GW2 holds far more allure for a max-level player than your game, you are doing it wrong), it was easy to move on after taking a few characters to 50.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I got to spend some time in the Alpha for this tonight and what I can say so far, only through experience rather than any NDA blocking me (there isn't one): Its still really, really early obviously but the core of the game: exploring, fighting, building, is in really pretty fun. Once my eye adapted to the blockiness, it was really nice looking actually, insofar as much as a blocky world can be. There is tons and tons of potential here. In a way, I think this game and EQNL are going to push each other in really positive ways for the players.

I will have to install Fraps or something to capture some video but I spent a lot of time (unplanned at first) digging down underneath some of the Trion-created structures and found some caverns with mobs. After clearing out the mobs, I finally figured out how to tunnel upward and then spent the rest of the night connecting my caverns, building an entrance, and then a wall around the whole complex. I have really never played minecraft but all of the same things said about EQNL hold true here, in a sense. I really enjoyed the heck out of it, although it will all be gone tomorrow after they patch.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So I got to spend some time in the Alpha for this tonight and what I can say so far, only through experience rather than any NDA blocking me (there isn't one): Its still really, really early obviously but the core of the game: exploring, fighting, building, is in really pretty fun. Once my eye adapted to the blockiness, it was really nice looking actually, insofar as much as a blocky world can be. There is tons and tons of potential here. In a way, I think this game and EQNL are going to push each other in really positive ways for the players.

I will have to install Fraps or something to capture some video but I spent a lot of time (unplanned at first) digging down underneath some of the Trion-created structures and found some caverns with mobs. After clearing out the mobs, I finally figured out how to tunnel upward and then spent the rest of the night connecting my caverns, building an entrance, and then a wall around the whole complex. I have really never played minecraft but all of the same things said about EQNL hold true here, in a sense. I really enjoyed the heck out of it, although it will all be gone tomorrow after they patch.
Think it was worth the money to play the alpha? I'm reluctant to pull the trigger.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's still not as much game as toy at this point but I made a giant rainbow tower to make my entrance to the underworld. It's worth it to me. I would definitely say it would be worth throwing $20 bucks at. Note: Screenshots taken in windowed mode at some god-awful resolution.

rrr_img_52003.jpg
rrr_img_52004.jpg
rrr_img_52005.jpg
rrr_img_52006.jpg
rrr_img_52007.jpg

Bruman

Golden Squire
... I spent a lot of time (unplanned at first) digging down underneath some of the Trion-created structures and found some caverns with mobs. After clearing out the mobs, I finally figured out how to tunnel upward and then spent the rest of the night connecting my caverns, building an entrance, and then a wall around the whole complex. I have really never played minecraft ...
With the exception of the Trion comment, you pretty much described Minecraft exactly. Except this has voxels I guess.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Even though it reminds me completely of Cubeworld and seems they didn't really do anything different other than having the ability to build, I'm interested in this game because I doubt they'll have 8 month silent periods where they say absolutely nothing. Can't wait to see what it evolves into. Couldn't care less about PvP but if it offers and okay PvE experience + building? Sounds rad. I'll stick to cubeworld if I want to play until I get an invite though
tongue.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What is the point of this.
To provide players who want voxel-based shit with some shinies. Since Mojang proved to everyone that the market for this was huge beyond any expectations (13+ million on PC, 10+ millions on XBox, 12+ millions on Android, and probably soon 10+ millions on for the PS3/PS4), everyone is jumping into it.

You're not the target for this, and guess what? They don't care that they don't get every single human playing their game.

kudos

<Banned>
This looks stupid.

It's cool we are finally pushing the limits on physics in video games but now it looks like graphics are stagnating or even reversing in order to get more power out of the physics. At least EQN looks good (except the player models).