Twitch.tv

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That chart surprised me on how big facebook gaming has become. You would think with all of the money Microsoft could through at video game streaming that they would be up there real close to youtube numbers.

Facebook can direct their already massive number of users to their stuff in their already established eco system. Microsoft is decentralized in comparison. The Xbox audience alone can't support a streaming site, if they're even pushing it on them

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I still think that being a successful Twitch Streamer is a mixed bag and a risky business. My case in point is Arumba07. He started off doing Crusader King LPs and World Conquer tutorials as a side gig from his regular job on YT back in the day (7-8 years ago). He quickly grew in popularity so making LPs became his day job, then he moved to Twitch and made a good living off it. But then things started to go down hill a couple of years ago. His wife left him and took the kids, and from what I gathered streaming had something to do with it. She took them down to her family in Florida so he moved too to be close to his kids, but he knows no-one down there. He quickly descended into drinking and depression, and the fact that his audience only wanted him to play Paradox games (which he is a master of) but after 7+ years of it, and how shit new Paradox games were he ended up in a crisis, ended up saying a naughty word on stream and got banned. No-one has heard from him in a month.

Basically, you're a slave to your audience. If you don't play what they want to watch, they bugger off somewhere else and you lose your income.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK keep pointing to streamers that were around since 2009 then..
I use to watch a ton of LoL streams and pretty sure I heard of him at that time but really no idea. I just know he's been around a while.
My points still stand.
Good thing we have a wiki for this now.

World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Basically, you're a slave to your audience. If you don't play what they want to watch, they bugger off somewhere else and you lose your income.
Sounds more like he was a slave to his ungrateful family and his whore wife who wanted him out the house for work so she could nail the mailman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
why are so many speed runners trannies
also why are all of them white

I should get a PHD in the topic, i could cite this thread as scholarly reference material
Watch some summoningsalt videos on YouTube. Once you realize the insane amounts of focus and repetition required to shave factions of a second off a run, the autism and subsequently being a tyranny makes perfect sense.

That's not being disparaging you legit need to be in the spectrum to be a speed runner.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still think that being a successful Twitch Streamer is a mixed bag and a risky business. My case in point is Arumba07. He started off doing Crusader King LPs and World Conquer tutorials as a side gig from his regular job on YT back in the day (7-8 years ago). He quickly grew in popularity so making LPs became his day job, then he moved to Twitch and made a good living off it. But then things started to go down hill a couple of years ago. His wife left him and took the kids, and from what I gathered streaming had something to do with it. She took them down to her family in Florida so he moved too to be close to his kids, but he knows no-one down there. He quickly descended into drinking and depression, and the fact that his audience only wanted him to play Paradox games (which he is a master of) but after 7+ years of it, and how shit new Paradox games were he ended up in a crisis, ended up saying a naughty word on stream and got banned. No-one has heard from him in a month.

Every job you're a slave to someone. Your boss, your customers, your audience. These people have a hard time separating the work though. They could easily stream 40 hours a week (or 30 and editing or whatever) and then just live a normal life, but they dont. They go to excess. They chase the cash coming in. Maybe they're chasing the feeling of people adoring them too, probably some of that.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every job you're a slave to someone. Your boss, your customers, your audience. These people have a hard time separating the work though. They could easily stream 40 hours a week (or 30 and editing or whatever) and then just live a normal life, but they dont. They go to excess. They chase the cash coming in. Maybe they're chasing the feeling of people adoring them too, probably some of that.

I do remember an interview Ninja gave where he said that the way the business works (and perhaps also due to his popularity), when he's not streaming he's literally losing money in the form of viewers/lost subs/etc. I would guess that's something that's more pronounced the more popular you are but for most I get the impression that if you choose to make streaming a 'career' it literally consumes you and not even so much because their chasing money but there needs to be enough cash coming in to make it viable.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its not only because of popularity. I see a ton of mid type streamers with like 1K-3K subs that are the same way. Take a look at Raiz form the PoE community. The fucker racks up to 1500-2K subs during league launch, but then this quickly diminishes all throughout the league down to the 500-600s sometimes. And the same shit, if he does not stream its lost revenue because hes not getting new subs. His viewership kinda follows the same pattern...

I look at some of the Destiny streamers and its the same shit, kinda reliant on the season of Destiny to be popular, if not viewership and subs goes down, but they still have to keep grinding, someone like iFrostbolt, which is 95% PvP streamer in Destiny, you can see how soul crushing it is some days when hes forced to play Destiny PvP during a shitty season. Game after game, match after match for 6-8 hours a day.

Worse one I saw was WishYouLuckk which is sort of a toxic mo-fo. a competitive PvP dude from Destiny. He got super popular during the days of Destiny1 PvP and trials carries, where he would carry 2 other people to victory in a competitive PvP type set up. You needed 7 match victories in a row and only 3 defeats allowed on a "card". or you start over. Yeah hes kinda toxic and a type A personality but thats just who he is. Anyway fast forward to today and hes gotten suspended from twitch a few times, fucking with his literal livelihood for toxicity. So he said fuck it and pretty much told twitch to fuck off with their partnerships and all that, and now streams on all 3 platforms every day and a patreon set up plus a daily dono goal to keep himself going, and so far so good. Plus he charges people $60-$100 to go on their accounts (recovs) and play competitive PvP in Destiny so hes making money that way too.

But at the end of the day, its hard to be sad for these dudes, shit they are getting paid thousands a month to play video games at home in their PJs.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I always like to wonder what these people do to break through. Probably not playing shitass games like Overwatch I bet
Mizkif in particular got spammed on the LivestreamFail subreddit which has probably boosted his viewers a lot.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
And I'm still not sure how. He sounds like a teenager with a bad cold instead of an asian man. His RP is shit imo.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I do remember an interview Ninja gave where he said that the way the business works (and perhaps also due to his popularity), when he's not streaming he's literally losing money in the form of viewers/lost subs/etc.

wow, when you don't work you "lose" the money you would have made if you had worked. What a genius insight from Mr John Maynard Keynes 2.0 there.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users