Twitch.tv

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's like the one time I was driving to work in cali and there was a protest blocking the road. It made me want to figure out what they wanted, then do the exact opposite. Unfortunately I couldn't even tell what they were angry about, the signs made no sense.
So BLM?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
They run TV style ads though, so there is no click through to measure. I suspect it part of the business model : it's easier to pretend something has value when you cannot actually measure its impact (like you can with ads that can be clicked). To sell those ads at the best possible price though they have to be able to show that the people who watch the streams actually watch the ads instead of blocking them.

Ahh yes, they are copying the ad model of a rapidly dying product. One that is specifically dying due to the ad model being completely invalidated by modern technology. About what I expected.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are some websites that will stop a video when you switch tabs, I'm pretty sure if they can detect it, they can report it back to the host.
Focus detection or document.hidden state is built into browsers for web sites to read. I believe it is easier to run a script on firefox to have it set to "always on" versus chrome and other browsers who make it harder for the user to alter the behavior.

Malakriss

Context: DK (purple) had a 28 crew streak before this, he's known for storage kills and before the mics cut out at the start of the game he made a squeal.

Partner perspective

Szlia

How can you tell in that game who is talking?
The game does not have its own voice chat function (it has a written chat function, but that's a pretty crippled way to play the game). People use steam or discord for the voice chat and then people just have to know each other enough for things to be clear OR you keep a eye on the chat window to see who is speaking OR people say their name and/or color when speaking. Streamers tend to use a Discord overlay that allows their viewers to see who is speaking.

Malakriss

Twitch just broke the standalone adblock extension.

edit: and extension was just updated, that didn't take long. Fuck you twitch.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah this standalone extension seems to work. So dumb having to go through this shit, twitch needs to give it up already; they aren't going to win the adblocker war.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The game does not have its own voice chat function (it has a written chat function, but that's a pretty crippled way to play the game). People use steam or discord for the voice chat and then people just have to know each other enough for things to be clear OR you keep a eye on the chat window to see who is speaking OR people say their name and/or color when speaking. Streamers tend to use a Discord overlay that allows their viewers to see who is speaking.

To me that kinda says this is not a game that just about anyone can play. How often do you have 9 friends available for this sort of thing? It's a streamers dream alright. I guess that's why it doesn't have a thread in the other games section here. I guess random matchmaking exists but then you actually have to keyboard through it?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
To me that kinda says this is not a game that just about anyone can play. How often do you have 9 friends available for this sort of thing? It's a streamers dream alright. I guess that's why it doesn't have a thread in the other games section here. I guess random matchmaking exists but then you actually have to keyboard through it?

Unfortunate Spacemen is the better version of Among Us anyways.

Szlia

Like board game it requires some planning and it's easier if you already have a circle of friend who might be interested in playing. Active MMO players should not have much of a problem filling a lobby. The same is true with PnP RPG / board game players provided you are part of club or have a large circle of friends. I am in that case : a buddy of mine has been organizing board game sessions for a pool of a dozen people, so for Among Us we reached a little further and voilà : Wednesday night is Among Us night + some extra sessions depending on the activity on the WhatsApp group.

It might be trickier for people that are not in the above situations to be able to play the game in the best conditions (10 people with voice chat), but not impossible. Some streamers have a section in their Discord for viewers lobbies for instance. I have not explored the FoH boards Discord server, but I am sure that could be a thing and that there might be enough people interested to fill lobbies.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Twitch just broke the standalone adblock extension.

edit: and extension was just updated, that didn't take long. Fuck you twitch.
How many hours a day would you say you spend watching Twitch, researching ways to get around ads, and then installing/updating all these work-arounds?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
wait, I just noticed one thing: people don't talk on discord at all outside discussion state. On not a single stream I've watched so far were people talking during gameplay. What's this absolutely perfect voice discipline? It's surreal.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I have twitch on in the background while working for 8-9 hours. Decided I can’t take the ads anymore. Paid my money for turbo. Fuck twitch and fuck ads. Cocksuckers