Twitch.tv

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
What about Star Wars games? They all use music from the films. Can't imagine playing a SW games without some John Williams.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well maybe Twitch can ask one of their tranny deerkins to solve the problem for them. Or maybe a company ran by retards deserves to go down in flames.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I don't get what Twitch is supposed to do though. They are forced to act on the DMCA complains or they can get sued/fined into oblivion and working some kind of deal with the different music industry majors where they pay a set sum or percentage feels like being the victim of a racket.

In a rational world, any music that happen during the normal game play should fall into fair use and streamers that use background music should pay a blanket license in the same way restaurants do.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I don't get what Twitch is supposed to do though. They are forced to act on the DMCA complains or they can get sued/fined into oblivion and working some kind of deal with the different music industry majors where they pay a set sum or percentage feels like being the victim of a racket.

In a rational world, any music that happen during the normal game play should fall into fair use and streamers that use background music should pay a blanket license in the same way restaurants do.

False.

In a normal world, the vast majority of the music that is being played would have fallen out of copyright 10 years after it was created and, thus, would have no claim under DMCA. There would then be a blanket license for anything still in the 10 year copyright window.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
False.

In a normal world, the vast majority of the music that is being played would have fallen out of copyright 10 years after it was created and, thus, would have no claim under DMCA. There would then be a blanket license for anything still in the 10 year copyright window.
I still maintain that it should fall under fair use.

LiquidDeath

I still maintain that it should fall under fair use.
I'm sympathetic to the argument that artists should be able to collect royalties for public playing of their music while someone else makes money, but only for a limited time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm sympathetic to the argument that twitch should no longer have safe harbor protections with how aggressive it is trying to do advertising over top of streamers, disrupting their content while trying to circumvent watcher's browser protections exactly like malware. Very far removed from "merely hosting content"

• 4Like

LiquidDeath

I'm sympathetic to the argument that twitch should no longer have safe harbor protections with how aggressive it is trying to do advertising over top of streamers, disrupting their content while trying to circumvent watcher's browser protections exactly like malware. Very far removed from "merely hosting content"

I can't imagine their click through on ads is very high, nor their customer attainment. I don't see how being this aggressive is worth it to them.

Szlia

They run TV style ads though, so there is no click through to measure. I suspect it part of the business model : it's easier to pretend something has value when you cannot actually measure its impact (like you can with ads that can be clicked). To sell those ads at the best possible price though they have to be able to show that the people who watch the streams actually watch the ads instead of blocking them.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, they can tell if a stream is muted and it won't count for certain "view" metrics. However if you don't mute it and mute the tab, it still counts as a full "view".

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It all reinforces my view that marketing people are the lowest of slime.

I agree with that meme that's like - interrupting what I'm watching makes me hate your product.

It's like the one time I was driving to work in cali and there was a protest blocking the road. It made me want to figure out what they wanted, then do the exact opposite. Unfortunately I couldn't even tell what they were angry about, the signs made no sense.

• 4Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
View attachment 317380

Hey_look.jpg

Seems legit.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah, they can tell if a stream is muted and it won't count for certain "view" metrics. However if you don't mute it and mute the tab, it still counts as a full "view".

No idea if it makes a difference. Instead of muting it on the twitch stream itself I normally just slide the slider down to zero on the computer volume itself. No real reason.

Protest of angry people with no real message, sounds about right.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I was starting to watch some more twitch while doing stuff since the start of the year, and now its gone to zero. Nice job.

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry, Butchute is only 98.1% of the way from its crowdfunded live streaming capabilities so competition to Twitch and Youtube is right around the corner...

disappointed alan rickman GIF

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if they're able to tell that I mute the stream and switch to another tab the moment an ad starts
There are some websites that will stop a video when you switch tabs, I'm pretty sure if they can detect it, they can report it back to the host.