Twitch.tv

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Even if streaming ultimately is covered by fair use that still doesn't matter. The DMCA system is built around the assumption of guilt (in super simple terms) and notices filed against someone need to be proven false by counter-claim, which starts a protracted legal battle that no individual is capable of winning.

That doesn't even touch on the fact that Twitch/YouTube etc are compelled to remove any content that claims are made against in order to protect their platform as a whole.
Which just shows how fucked all those laws are.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

That is also why only the music industry files DCMAs against Twitch, because they're sad people spend money on games vs. music lol

And the dude making that tweet is creative director of Stadia. STADIA. That is like the head of marketing at Pizza Hut getting butthurt over shit like Grub Hub letting people actually get delivery of good food from good restaurants.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pizza Hut would be insulted you compared them to Stadia. But i still wouldn't listen to their CEO on economics.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That is also why only the music industry files DCMAs against Twitch, because they're sad people spend money on games vs. music lol
You have nothing to support this statement. You're a middle-aged sad sack simping for Twitch streamers and you have no clue how the music industry is affected by Twitch. You're completely talking out your ass because you're butt-hurt that your favorite Twitch faggot isn't allowed to broadcast whatever copyrighted music he wants to anymore.

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think Nintendo and Atlus are the only two that I have ever heard take any action against youtubers and streamers. Im sure there are more.

Nintendo had a creator program where, I guess, Nintendo reviewed the content being put out and would take a cut of the monetized profit.. More than 50% iirc. Nintendo decided to shut it down and get with the times. Only really ask that the content creator put their own flair on it rather than a straight uploaded video gameplay in simple terms.. I think that's probably a unanimous agreement between developers and content creators nowadays. I do know Nintendo is still pretty iron fist in a round about way. They're definitely not afraid to send c&d's out left and right.

Atlus wasn't much as the whole company, but iirc the release of Persona 5 had takedowns because they didn't want the game to be spoiled ect and to let sometime pass. It wasnt a very favorable thing by the consumers, but I don't know what actually happened as an end result.

So they technically have the ability to do so, and prevail.. For the most part, the amount of games that exist.. People would just fuck off and play another game at that point. It's essentially PS4 vs Xbone, a large portion of sales were forfeited because people didn't like "digital only" idea despite probably still owning a large digital library.

Other than that, I think the only other thing in recent has been that if you're sponsored or being paid to promote, it has to be said somewhere within the title, tag, or mentioned? I don't know the specifics on it, but I believe it has something to do with the FCC. I'd imagine if a person was licensed by a game developer, it'd follow under the same rules.. And if I remember, some viewers pull out some hate for accepting money4play from companies.. But it's more or less petty bullshit.

Cybsled

You have nothing to support this statement. You're a middle-aged sad sack simping for Twitch streamers and you have no clue how the music industry is affected by Twitch. You're completely talking out your ass because you're butt-hurt that your favorite Twitch faggot isn't allowed to broadcast whatever copyrighted music he wants to anymore.

lol what? I have literally never watched a streamer for whatever music they played that wasn't the game's actual music. I could give a fuck and I seriously doubt it impacts the music industry in any meaningful way. You can't exactly turn it on like a Youtube or Vimeo video and listen to just the pure music, or a streaming music service like Spotify...Twitch is always going to have the streamer yapping on about whatever the fuck or playing a game and opting to use whatever music instead of the actual game music.

But the music industry has historically always gone after anything that sniffs of impacting their profits, even if it is some 10 year old kid using Napster back in the 90s. Them going after streamers is just another in a long line of them trying to desperately shore up declining profits. Sure, it is their right to do that, but using the hammer instead of the carrot isn't going to do much to help their cause in the long run. Music p2p networks basically set the ground work for digital music purchases at a low price point (and later, music streaming). They begrudgingly accepted it, but long term it helped them due to changing tastes in the market place. No one wanted to buy the $20 album with 12 songs and only 3 you like anymore, and with pressure from Apple, the $0.99 a song became popularized and helped save their industry in the long run after years of declines.

Will their shit with streamers amount to anything? Who knows, but if they were smart, they would explore reasonable bulk licensing options. The vast majority of Twitch streamers make almost no money off the platform. Trying to pretend that everyone is a millionaire like Shroud or Lirik and pushing some type of broadcast TV model of licensing is going to be a recipe for failure.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

I think Nintendo and Atlus are the only two that I have ever heard take any action against youtubers and streamers. Im sure there are more.

Nintendo had a creator program where, I guess, Nintendo reviewed the content being put out and would take a cut of the monetized profit.. More than 50% iirc. Nintendo decided to shut it down and get with the times. Only really ask that the content creator put their own flair on it rather than a straight uploaded video gameplay in simple terms.. I think that's probably a unanimous agreement between developers and content creators nowadays. I do know Nintendo is still pretty iron fist in a round about way. They're definitely not afraid to send c&d's out left and right.

Atlus wasn't much as the whole company, but iirc the release of Persona 5 had takedowns because they didn't want the game to be spoiled ect and to let sometime pass. It wasnt a very favorable thing by the consumers, but I don't know what actually happened as an end result.

So they technically have the ability to do so, and prevail.. For the most part, the amount of games that exist.. People would just fuck off and play another game at that point. It's essentially PS4 vs Xbone, a large portion of sales were forfeited because people didn't like "digital only" idea despite probably still owning a large digital library.

Other than that, I think the only other thing in recent has been that if you're sponsored or being paid to promote, it has to be said somewhere within the title, tag, or mentioned? I don't know the specifics on it, but I believe it has something to do with the FCC. I'd imagine if a person was licensed by a game developer, it'd follow under the same rules.. And if I remember, some viewers pull out some hate for accepting money4play from companies.. But it's more or less petty bullshit.

Nintendo has always been iron fist. They stuck with carts instead of moving to CDs, because they controlled the production and could demand greater fees from the developers/publishers. They were the ones who tried to challenge the rental market on games (and lost) - they wanted to ban video stores from being able to rent games to people.

And ya, the PS4/Xbone shows exactly what happens if one group tries to push something that isn't popular with the gaming public - their main rival will do the exact opposite. If Sony one day said "You can no longer stream Playstation games without paying a fee!", then Microsoft would probably say "Ours can be streamed for free! In fact, we're going to pay even more people to play our games".

And ya, you do have to mark if the game is a paid promotion (ie, I am playing this game because they are paying me money to play it). However, gifting the game to a streamer or giving them early access is fine so long as that is all that happened. Even then, I usually see the streamer acknowledge the gift, although it doesn't rise to the level of #ad.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can't really discount the fact that Nintendo is still very much a Japanese company whereas Sony is americanized.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Which just shows how fucked all those laws are.

Oh I don't disagree at all. It's an ancient artifact of the early internet days that has no basis in the reality of the current internet world.

Unfortunately for the foreseeable future it's the way things are, and I'd expect it to get much worse for Twitch etc before it gets any better. The rights "holders" (which is not even always the case) hold all the cards under the current system, and I don't blame any streamers or content creators for purging basically their entire backlogs to try and protect themselves.

• 1Truth!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DrLupo streamed an automated tool doing the whole purge, this is the number near the end

lupo_purge.jpg

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So is this the thread to promote your stream? If so you could come help a brother out with some viewing and some follows trying to get to that affiliate status. twitch.tv/itsbegaro

BTW so I've been using royalty free music. And I guess I can purge my vods but since no ones watched them seem silly.

They did mute when I had Spotify going though. Even though I used the extension twitch suggested. Seems dumb.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Is this where someone says: Tits or GTFO?
Can I do it?
I'm gonna do it!

Tits or GTFO!

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So is this the thread to promote your stream? If so you could come help a brother out with some viewing and some follows trying to get to that affiliate status. twitch.tv/itsbegaro

BTW so I've been using royalty free music. And I guess I can purge my vods but since no ones watched them seem silly.

They did mute when I had Spotify going though. Even though I used the extension twitch suggested. Seems dumb.
Get a job you fat fuck.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick