Tyrant

spronk

FPS noob
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
kbEBxv8g4BMUQZ0ilObfSUv24Kl.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Tyrant[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]War & Politics[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2014-06-24[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]The story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, the younger son of the dictator of a war-torn nation, ends a self-imposed 20-year exile to return to his homeland, accompanied by his American wife and children, for his nephew's wedding. Barry’s reluctant homecoming leads to a dramatic clash of cultures as he is thrown back into the familial and national politics of his youth.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Watch Two Teasers for Tyrant, FX??Ts New Drama :: TV :: News :: Paste

The show itself is about Middle Eastern-born Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, who uprooted his life to move to the United States only to return 20 years later with his American family for his cousin's wedding.

Looks pretty interesting, although if everyone speaks flawless English all the time and has mostly Western views on everything I think it will be pretty disappointing.

But an actual TV show where we see real middle eastern thugs doing shit we can't even conceive as ok could be pretty awesome. Also Middle Eastern dictators are pretty crazy fucked up when it comes to sex, cars, alcohol, and guns. Some of the Vice and Bourdain episodes on the region are awesome (in a "goddamn I am so glad I don't live there" way).

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad2770

This show is pretty good. I'm pretty ignorant to what goes on over in the Middle East so it could be something that generates enough interest to actually educate myself on the culture/politics. Plus, it was really good TV. I have a hard time getting involved in shows that have actors/actresses that do not immerse me. Everyone in this show did an amazing job.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Its kind of like Breaking Bad in that almost everything is great but the son and wife are /wrists. I mean really, you've been married for 19 years and are so concerned about your husbands relationship with his despotic family and his troubling secrecy and yet you haven't bestirred yourself to google their crimes against humanity or something? Right. Her attempted therapy sessions throughout the episode really hurt the narrative because the potential issues are so varied, serious and obvious that to make her believable she would need to be either a complete moron or insufferably ignorant; either way she isn't interesting to watch. The son is just annoying and seemingly exists mainly to meet the homosexual quota for the show and to exemplify how ill informed and prepared the prince's family is. In fact the only one who seems to demonstrate any sane amount of reservation towards the whole situation is the mostly ignored daughter.

Other than that this was a really enjoyable first episode with a decently complex main character, I hope it continues as a serious exploration of its subject and avoids as much nonsense as possible.

Brad2770

Gask, I think I sort of felt that way about the wife, but not until she asked the husband why he was leaving the wedding (after not hearing the gun shots the brother was firing into the ceiling) and I guess I kind of rolled my eyes to her actions on the plane as they were leaving, but that was about it. The son has a very well developed gaydar.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Gask, I think I sort of felt that way about the wife, but not until she asked the husband why he was leaving the wedding (after not hearing the gun shots the brother was firing into the ceiling) and I guess I kind of rolled my eyes to her actions on the plane as they were leaving, but that was about it. The son has a very well developed gaydar.
At first she didn't bother me either but as they persisted in making her as obtuse as possible it got annoying. I did love that departure scene. "You want to know what it was like growing up in this magical place yes?" Slap slap slap.
biggrin.png

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
First episode was good. Like others have said, the wife has bothered me at times with her Skylar White impersonations. I'm really hoping this continues to develop into an interesting view on dictators in the middle east, and it looks like it will!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just watched the pilot. Will definitely be tuning in this week. The main character is really enjoyable and, as others have said, it's not a typical setting for a TV show.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
First episode was great. A lot of directions they could go now, so it will be interesting to see which they choose.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Its kind of like Breaking Bad in that almost everything is great but the son and wife are /wrists. I mean really, you've been married for 19 years and are so concerned about your husbands relationship with his despotic family and his troubling secrecy and yet you haven't bestirred yourself to google their crimes against humanity or something? Right. Her attempted therapy sessions throughout the episode really hurt the narrative because the potential issues are so varied, serious and obvious that to make her believable she would need to be either a complete moron or insufferably ignorant; either way she isn't interesting to watch. The son is just annoying and seemingly exists mainly to meet the homosexual quota for the show and to exemplify how ill informed and prepared the prince's family is. In fact the only one who seems to demonstrate any sane amount of reservation towards the whole situation is the mostly ignored daughter.

Other than that this was a really enjoyable first episode with a decently complex main character, I hope it continues as a serious exploration of its subject and avoids as much nonsense as possible.
Spot on. Go talk to your mass murdering father about your feelings. Make sure to hug it out when you're done.

Outside of that I did really enjoy the episode though.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Now that some of the setup is out of the way, I'm looking forward to where this is going to go. I wonder if they'll go the Breaking Bad route of descending into madness. I wanna see Bassam fuck bitches and kill terrorists.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'll consider this show a success if they can get me to care about the main guy's wife at any point during its run.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The wife is annoying. It's like she's completely oblivious to how fucked the Middle East is. Like Bassam watching those kids get straight up executed was just "whatever, you did what you could".

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The wife is annoying. It's like she's completely oblivious to how fucked the Middle East is. Like Bassam watching those kids get straight up executed was just "whatever, you did what you could".
Which ironically makes her a good wife for a future despot to have.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Dexter made me care about a female lead I found completely unbearable and annoying so I know it's possible.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord

You should publish this cause it's very true and very well written.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The show looks interesting but Bassam's wife turning into Princess Skylar could draw the show to the bottom.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought the first 2 were pretty good, Jamal is wild as hell I loved that actor playing him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why did they let go of the terrorist dude so easily? I mean, he still had a shitload of illegal guns right? Even with Bassam's word being taken as gospel by his brother, I feel he wouldn't have done that.

Terrorist dude's uncle is fucked.