Valve adds paid modding

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The way he talks in his emails/responses sound so much like business speak, really corporate. It just seems like he's lost touch. If his general opinion is to follow where the money is, then we should start moving our wallets over to GoG and other such sites.
I don't think he 'follows the money' so to speak, I think he's gotten further and further divorced from reality and the day-to-day operations of his company. Valvecouldhave done this properly - instead it is an abortion.

It feels exactly like what happens when you add 3 levels of middle management.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What they should of done is made a system that is designed specifically for large and high quality projects. A small number of mods that valve actually vets saying hey this is the gold standard of user created content, it's worth money. They promote them and act as a hub for content creators making sure only worthy mods see the light of day.

Instead they throw out this fucking pig trough that allows every mongoloid to fill it up with the worst dogshit imaginable.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

Someone posted this on Reddit as some evidence that flys in the face of give modders money = better mods.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if Valve is thinking about rolling this back, or at least not expanding it to any other games ? Because the amount of shit they got over this is enough to fire the guy who came up with it in any other company and you know it didn't go through any management because those people would stop and think how people were going to react. From hero to zero in one single announcement, I'm impressed. Not even CDprojekt could do that by announcing console exclusive release.

Even worse, most of these problems if they added paid mods for a new release, so there are less tools/resources/compatibility issues and people can develop with that in mind and by letting the developer curate what get's sold.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not a Skyrim player or mod user but I had a question. I'm assuming previously you just downloaded and tried a mod you had recommended to you or you took a shot in the dark. Free content so all it cost you was time. Now with this new paid model there's no 'return policy' so to speak. How will a new good mod actually become popular?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
How will a new good mod actually become popular?
Well going by the steam store, some of the new top 5 star rated mods are

Protest sign - No paying for mods

Immersive paywall
Immersive yourself in the experience of being locked out of something you've enjoyed for years and having a community you've grow to love being torn appart over night!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will need to start a new game to witness disappointment.

Adds a huge collision box to the Helgen gate, preventing you from progressing to the character creation. Adds a bunch of other fluff too.

Did you know this mod took 12 years to make?
Keep your money to yourself

- Excellent. You've done us a great service. Here is your reward
- Keep your money to yourself. I'm not doing it because of the reward

The mod allows you to refuse the money you usually get from various NPCs (including rewards from quests). Empty your right hand from any item before talking with character, so the choice will appear.

If you choose to refuse, you will recieve a 50% buff to any of the Shrine blessings. The bonus will remain until you touch money.
Steam menu and workshop image replacer (Explotation)
Replaces Skyrim's main menu and soundtrack with a more fitting version in wake of the recent Steam Workshop announcements.
Immersive dirt mound of Skyrim

This mod adds a small dirt mound just outside of Whiterun.
I made this mod to show what will probably most of paid mods become - an overpriced pile of dirt.
Don't see any 5 star paid mods.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its simple. Do not pay for mods. Period. Just don't do it.

If you have any modding skills, make janky ass shit mods, flood the market with them, overprice them so no one will buy them.

Make it so that any modder trying to hock their shit legit is pissing in an ocean of piss so overloaded with shit that no one even bothers trying to figure out what is what. Give 5 star ratings to mods protesting the decision, and downvote legitimate mods. Downvote games that allow paid mods as well.

They will get the picture in short order if enough people do that.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its simple. Do not pay for mods. Period. Just don't do it.

If you have any modding skills, make janky ass shit mods, flood the market with them, overprice them so no one will buy them.

Make it so that any modder trying to hock their shit legit is pissing in an ocean of piss so overloaded with shit that no one even bothers trying to figure out what is what. Give 5 star ratings to mods protesting the decision, and downvote legitimate mods. Downvote games that allow paid mods as well.

They will get the picture in short order if enough people do that.
This is kind of why I think this stuff will sort itself out. A majority of players are not going to pay for mods if forced to, even mods that some feel are vital to enjoy the game. You would think most (not all) mod authors would see how much bad press this created and how much little in return they are getting and decide it's not worth it. What's the point of making a mod if no one is using it because it's behind a paywall?

Best selling mod at the moment seems to be this:

Steam Workshop :: Shadow Scale set

Which is a skin and probably falls into the same category as CSGO skins where people will buy it. It even has positive responses in discussion threads.

iannis

Musty Nester
It'll stop the people who make 1/20th of an awesome mod from even trying. That's the only problem, really. Otherwise who cares if steam and bethesda fuck themselves.

They just managed to fuck everyone, is all. And I honestly do think that Nexus is going to start having legal trouble. Because I don't think any of this was actually an accident or an oversight or malicious incompetence.

Counterpoint: It's fine. It's fine! It's fiiiiiiiine. Fine fine fine fine fine.

It's fine.

iannis

Musty Nester
The game companies are trying to emulate the music/movie industry.

I mean you would THINK that the advent of the internet, and the rise of their very own companies, would warn them against it. You would think that maybe.

But when you get rich enough...

iannis

Musty Nester
But who's gonna stop 'em? The SJW / GG generation? Valve is gonna be selling a lot of mods to their parents credit cards! Modders can stop modding, that's true. But that won't stop 'em. That'll just fill up the Workshop with shovelware reskins. Just like greenlight.

Valve is the gatekeeper on this one. And gabe says it's fine.
biggrin.png

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its horse armor all over again, heck its even the same company / game series.
Noone will buy the 5$ horse armor. That will backfire and no company will add DLCs to their game.
It will just lead to better gaming expirience, noone will ever be forced to buy DLCs to expirience the full game.
Nothing is cut out, its all fully optional and will make AAA titels cheaper.

Yeah this is clearly heading nowhere.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The way he talks in his emails/responses sound so much like business speak, really corporate. It just seems like he's lost touch. If his general opinion is to follow where the money is, then we should start moving our wallets over to GoG and other such sites.
That's because people forget that Gabeisa corporate business man. He's been put up on a pedestal over the years for reviving PC gaming and doing a lot of pro-consumer things, but let's be honest, the bulk of that was driven by a desire to run a company and make money. That's completely in line with his philosophy of "money drives how the community steers work". Money drove him to do some fantastic things, things which gave him a ton of notoriety, therefore putting the money carrot in front of modders will do the same for them. In a way, it is sort of noble to look at this as Gabe wanting to give others the same opportunities he has, and perhaps that would be more the case if this wasn't implemented in such a shoddy way.

I honestly do believe him in that this wasn't drivenentirelyby greed, but ultimately, people are now seeing the man behind the curtain. Gabe isn't some benevolent billionaire who built Steam out of the kindness of his heart. Gabe is a businessman just like Bobby Kotick and John Riccitiello. He may have different things motivating him than them (and doesn't have shareholders to answer to), but Valve and Steam are still money making enterprises first and foremost. What I think I'm most curious about is how Gabe reacts from going to a tongue-in-cheek messiah to being outrated hated and put in the same league as people like Kotick and Riccitiello.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If money is involved now, wouldn't it be a crime to take someone elses mod and upload it to steam?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wait, is it now not possible to install regular mods off the Nexus?

Is this entire thread just one big slippery slope argument?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
At least the split is so unbelievably bad that you don't have to worry about creators just doing it for the money. :p

Itzena_sl

shitlord
If money is involved now, wouldn't it be a crime to take someone elses mod and upload it to steam?
People might argue that as free mods are, well,freethat they've been released from copyright. They'd bewrong, but it's definitely an argument they'd use.

Simple solution: Put your mod up on Steam for a penny.
smile.png