Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Having absolutely no real knowledge of this game is a blessing and a curse. Im enjoying myself, up to level 15. However after the island I chose to teleport to Tomb of Lord Tsang area, and have no clue where cities are, and if theyre the only place to train? I suppose I could look it up but I don't want to ruin the mystery of everything.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Having absolutely no real knowledge of this game is a blessing and a curse. Im enjoying myself, up to level 15. However after the island I chose to teleport to Tomb of Lord Tsang area, and have no clue where cities are, and if theyre the only place to train? I suppose I could look it up but I don't want to ruin the mystery of everything.
There are trainers in various small towns and outposts, not just the big cities. If you find small outposts (usually areas with a few quests) make sure you check inside buildings. There’s some trainers in buildings near the rajin outpost near where you are, the place with all the huge crystals and flying eyeballs.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
After Isle of dawn, most were going to qa riverbanks?

Then wherever the Hunter quests are

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
After Isle of dawn, most were going to qa riverbanks?

Then wherever the Hunter quests are
I like the rajin outpost. Three rivers and dwarf area has some nice stuff too. There are several areas in the beginning that are pretty cool. What sucks is no population, fun to duo and trio stuff.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was hoping to get someone else into this game so I had someone to mess around in dungeons with. Shadow knight disciple seemed like a fun combo

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I got stuck at the firewall in the first dungeon because I didn’t realize you could talk to NPCs inside that didn’t have quest markers over their heads. Aggroed the boss by accident when I was already fighting two mobs and couldn’t bring myself to clear my way down again today. His ass is mine tomorrow (anything but actual work “from home!”)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That was the great thing about Vanguard was duo-trio of the right type could accomplish quite a bit together.

Had they emphasized a full group to do any content as mandatory, I don't see the interest holding as well. People liked just moving around with one or two buddies Frodo style.

• 3Like
Este fue el mejor juego que he visto. Me entristece que los jugadores no apoyaran más este proyecto, sino que actuaron de manera inmadura y distante, lo que llevó a su muerte. Ahora el mundo está lleno de jugadores que gastan una fortuna en juegos que ni siquiera se lanzan y personas que morirán en la colina que defiende la mierda básica de los niños como Skyrim. Miren también el presupuesto que tenían para Vanguard, era muy pequeño comparado con otros juegos y lo que lograron. Todo lo que necesitaban era otro año de soporte y se podría haber permitido que este juego creciera en el futuro con suficientes jugadores para pagar las expansiones. Era un juego diseñado desde el principio para poder crecer en niveles y alcance, pero no fue así.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1WTF
  • 1SchwarzeNeg
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Este fue el mejor juego que he visto. Me entristece que los jugadores no apoyaran más este proyecto, sino que actuaron de manera inmadura y distante, lo que llevó a su muerte. Ahora el mundo está lleno de jugadores que gastan una fortuna en juegos que ni siquiera se lanzan y personas que morirán en la colina que defiende la mierda básica de los niños como Skyrim. Miren también el presupuesto que tenían para Vanguard, era muy pequeño comparado con otros juegos y lo que lograron. Todo lo que necesitaban era otro año de soporte y se podría haber permitido que este juego creciera en el futuro con suficientes jugadores para pagar las expansiones. Era un juego diseñado desde el principio para poder crecer en niveles y alcance, pero no fue así.
Yeah well it was the developers fault not the players. Brad was mismanaging very badly, not showing up to work, stealing drugs from peoples desks. They redesigned the game several times just hoping money would keep rolling in, well businesses don’t work like that. Yes it’s a shame, this game had a massive amount of potential, if they could have released at the 2009 state and kept pumping out content and filling in gaps this would have been one of the greatest, and actually popular, MMOs of all time.

Also, English please.

Yes true but I still think players abandoned ship and acted too rash. My friends in real life all quit by level 10 and refused to ever go back. Now people pay for alpha games that are much weaker than Vanguard. And people support New World which is nothing compared to this much older and lower budget game.

Also to solo players I recommend people try playing a second character at the same time. It seems too hard at first but you get used to it and it becomes a very fun pair and strong!

• 3Like
I played with friends a lot of Elder Scrolls Online but I think that is much less interesting than Vanguard too. And games lack mystery now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yes true but I still think players abandoned ship and acted too rash. My friends in real life all quit by level 10 and refused to ever go back. Now people pay for alpha games that are much weaker than Vanguard. And people support New World which is nothing compared to this much older and lower budget game.

Also to solo players I recommend people try playing a second character at the same time. It seems too hard at first but you get used to it and it becomes a very fun pair and strong!
I don’t blame anyone for leaving the game early. It was in a really bad state and should not have released like that. Even those of us that stuck it out and got to level 50…there wasn’t a damn thing to do because it was so empty. I only came back to check it out a couple years later cause I read that it had improved, most people don’t read about old shitty games they abandoned. Yes it’s a shame but I don’t blame the players at all.

Fair I suppose. I felt a bit abandoned. But I remember too many bugs and problems so it looked very bad compared to slick WoW :( It was also really bad for my friend with low end PC. It made his game look like it was made with MS Paint.

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Fuck you

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Vanguard had grown an audience like any main stream MMO - there would be little mystery to it. The popularity fuels the database sites and everything would be dissected down to the degree that WoW is. The one Vanguard data base site we had was similar to Allakhazam iirc, (may even have been by them?) and compared to any data base sites WoW had - it was dated af.

A lot of peoples train of thought isnt exploration, not that they dont like it, but that if no one in the group has a BIS item dropping from some specific random dungeon then its very likely that people rarely will go into it. ESO fixes this in a way with Sky Shards and similar. Last I checked, this game being similar to EverQuest exacerbates the issue by having gear drop that will last you entire level ranges like a flowing black silk sash would. So you would have people waiting LFG for a spot in that specific dungeon. If you've played EQ, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Some fantastic dungeons that either had no desirable loot, or worse, had no desirable loot and insane difficulty/risk.

The empty parts of the world never really bothered me in this game. It was always the performance of it. I would have given this game more of a chance back in retail if it didnt chunk at all. I compare it to like playing a brand new game that only runs on the 40x0 series Nvidia cards. Older cards can run the game, but how enjoyable is it to play the game at 14 fps? I would end up putting the game on the back burner till years down the road I have a PC that can at least play it at 60 fps and hope I remember to play it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Best part about VG Was leveling up New characters and hitting all the different dungeons. Also with the mentoring you could play your main as a powerhouse and duo all the lower level stuff. I explored so many awsome dungeons I had no clue about.
They looked boring at first with just a cave entrance and then sprawled into different levels/themes/mobs. Game was awsome.

• 1Like
Yes everything gets data mined now. I think I was lucky to have a recent upgrade with Vanguard. It ran ok for me but still got to <20 fps sometimes. I guess for most people it was just unplayable. Tragic.

I always preferred EQ so I played that instead. But I think Vanguard would be the best MMO if it had a bit more time. Learning spells from an area was cool and it could encourage people to go to less popular areas. And the dungeons are more interactive with crystals that drain mana if you stand near. I wish Amazon or someone would have bought Vanguard and updated it instead of starting from scratch.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Vanguard is likely such bad code there is no reason to buy it and work on it.

Might be easier to start from scratch

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Vanguard is likely such bad code there is no reason to buy it and work on it.

Might be easier to start from scratch
Yeah, this is why I said it would never run very well. From old 'what happened' discussions in the past, VG rewrote things several times, and left old things still going in the background. So their code was just old spaghetti layered on top of old spaghetti, resource hogging unnecessarily.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea back when it was live each server would handle between 2 - 8 zones depending on the population and each zone would take about a gig of ram to run.