Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Blood Mage class was very well designed. The music was well done. Diplomacy and crafting had a different take. Everything else was mediocre at best while most of it was complete trash from a quality, animations, systems stand point.
There isnt a thing I would disagree with right there.

thats fine. the pc i used for Beta was built specifically for Vanguard. you've seen my beta screenshots, does it look like I'm having any problems? here are some more
Did I miss the part where you bought a new PC since 2007? My PC hasnt been upgraded since 2012 and Vanguard ran great when I logged in a few months ago, but the game still suffered from chunking. Also, screen shots do little justice for performance. I can find my Dell Laptop from 2005 and put everything on ultra. Ill get 1-3 fps, but itll be really pretty. Picking up what Im putting down?

There's one innovation I really haven't seen brought to other MMO's yet and that is the two target system. Having an offensive and defensive target was fucking awesome. It's such a simple idea, yet I haven't seen it employed by other MMOs - granted I have been slacking on MMO's the past 10 years.
Other games did it before Vanguard and plenty of MMOs have added it.

No one mentioned Bard for great designed class? Being able to design your own songs was amazing.
Bard and Necro pets needed a smoother UI (I had to look up how to play these classes on the internet. They werent noobie friendly in other words.) though. Working with that shit was archaic, though I enjoyed the classes.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I had a blast playing until the level 55 increase, then that shit was all over! Done! Sucks to see it go though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
you suck at pallalidian noodle!
WHAT DID I DO WRONG? LET ME LOG IN TO FIX IT..
frown.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You didn't seriously just ask me to judge game performance from screenshots did you?
I thought that as well and reread it a few times thinking I must be having reading comprehension problems. Could be possible it's a damn fine troll job? If so hats off, that's pretty funny.

Sad to see it go, I had a lot of time in this game, good friends (Miss you Veracity), good memories. Haven't played it for 3 or 4 years now, but still kind of a bummer.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow hate didnt know you were in Veracity, you dont seem as sensitive as i would imagine their members from back in the day =p

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yes we definitely had a few touchy people. I constantly fucked with everyone, people told me I helped keep the sensitive ones more balanced/loosened up since I was on the opposite end of the spectrum =p I really miss the guild as a whole, first guild I was in where I got along with nearly everyone. The bard group was pretty cool, in past guilds every class I was had infighting/competition, but us bards were pretty tight. Zak was so much fun to fuck with tho, he'd nerd rage so fast lol. Miss Dem and Elly, they were a cool couple. And Chapet was such a solid bro. Loved gaming with that dude, we duoed so much shit that lots of groups failed at.

calla_sl

shitlord
I am going to miss this game a lot. Even with all its bugs, I met a bunch of good people who were willing to put up with a lot of bullshit to enjoy the game.

The last few months were pretty sad with the mass exodus, but that's to be expected. I'm glad I was able to run around stiirhad killing shit inside with the help of guildmates and 3rd party programs. I was hoping to solo syranoth with my army, and I got pretty close but oh well.

I hope that in the last few months of the game, my guildmates and I were able to help out as many people as we could to enjoy the endgame as well as try to give away as many items/potions/mounts/etc as possible. I know I had at least 20 of the ridiculous flying whale mounts up for sale on the broker for like a gold.

I had some great memories and lots of laughs. I will definitely miss the community for sure.

At least now I know to avoid SOE products.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone tracking the Pantheon funding since VG shut down? We cross over the million mark yet?
Heh.. Pantheon ship has sailed.. I'm pretending Elidroth is spending so much time here because he's researching for my EQ/VG hybrid..

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
At least now I know to avoid SOE products.
Why? They let a game, that would have been cancelled either before release or within the first year by just about any other company, run for nearly 8 years. In a world of shitty MMO companies SOE is one of the best.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Agreed. Vanguard would have been axed long ago by any other publisher. Actually it just would have been canceled because Microsoft was getting rid of it and for whatever reason SOE decided to foot the bill and launch it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I got 3 negs in this thread for criticizing Vanguard's terrible art style. Kinda illustrates another problem VG has always had - its terrible zealot-like Neckbeard population.

If the player base can't criticize the game objectively, and hold dev's feet to the fire in ways that would actually benefit the game/business, the shit is doomed to failure.
Pretty sure they were actually for making black and white, hyperbolic, baiting comments just so you can start an argument, backtrack from what your comments seemed to be implying, argue with people like it matters, and seem like you're trying to make yourself look smart over dumb shit like Vanguard.

Or, I dunno, maybe Vanguard's art was just really good, which I don't think anyone believes except you thinking others do when you argue it was all shit and others point out it wasn't all shit because blanket statements like that are ignorant.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Actually no, all 3 negs consisted of 'WoW sucked' or something similar. It was pretty bad. While I played Vanguard there was definitely a sense of 'us and them'. REAL Vanguard players couldn't possibly enjoy World of Warcraft. That kiddie pussy shit is awful, right??

It was a really common thing for VG players to cloister up among themselves and ignore the rest of the MMORPG industry. Honestly, that's probably what kept many of them playing so long. Guild chat would get insufferable sometimes.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
definitely enjoyed my time in vanguard really great classes and dungeons with a great huge world and great grp play.. despite all its technical failings, i played the shit out of it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I too had a great time in Vanguard. A lot of things about the game were great, and a lot of things about the game were incredibly broken... The world was so open for exploration.. The classes were fantastic, I was a huge fan of the blood mage and disciple (especially the beta version!)

The way itemization worked was good in that it didnt have you looking for a replacement item every level that had +2str +2vit on it. Items were often unique and powerful.

Uninstanced open world made for awesome PvP.. We had a lot of fun nights group PvPing over dungeons against other guilds.... PvP was what also ruined the game for me and caused me to unsubscribe.. It was so incredibly broken.. the rampant hacking, 1 shotting and broken way invisibility worked was awful.

The crafting and diplomacy were both great with their own complicated minigames, although the crafting was so time consuming that probably the first 50 max level crafters were all botters.

I was actually playing again around 6 months ago but the lack of players around definitely reduced the fun.