Venom (2018)

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I get what you are going for, but the "put him in his own sideline" works for some, I just dont think it works for this character,

If we want to ignore the origin stuff and just reboot the character to this story, ok...But isnt it then silly that hisPowers and appearance are still based off of Spiderman?

The reason Venom has the skillset and looks he does it because hes the Anti Spiderman. Its like making a stand alone Bizarro Superman movie.

Could you make a standalone Mandarin film disconnected from Iron man? Sure, the character isnt rooted completely in another character. Its much harder to make a standalone Sabretooth film that doesnt connect to Wolverine.

Movie might be great and maybe Ill have no issue once I see it. I just see sony cranking out a stand alone Vendom movie as a weird idea that is probably mostly a cash grab.

I agree with this. A lot of the reason for Venom working as an interesting character ties directly into the way he initially spun off of Parker/Spiderman. Without that in the mix, I just don't see him being nearly as effective as a compelling character. Instead we have yet another lab-coated super genius doing sciencey things for somesuch evil reason. Even that one terrible Spiderman movie made an attempt at sort of doing it right, but of course the execution was abysmal.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Dunno. Still think the cgi looks like early 2000s superhero movie era, but Tom Hardy going Gollum/Smeagol on himself is what's interesting about it.

Couldn't care less if it was just an evil Spidey with teeth. You could just netflix Iron Man 1, Ant Man, Black Panther or something along those lines if that's what you're looking for.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
He definitely wasn't just an evil Spiderman. He was one of the more layered villains in the comics, particularly when considering the background of Brock and the symbiote and their relationship with Parker/Spiderman. This just looks like a very vanilla take on the character.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
If they make Carnage into a Durka CEO from The Nigh OF, I will fucking riot.

Isnt there a shitty movie coming out where poor mans Tom hardy is paralyzed and then some chip takes over and the movie is him fucking people up while arguing with the AI.

Its like t he same fucking thing as Hardy arguing with the symb EYE OAT

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Can't wait for October. Venom is maximum nerd bait. This thread should get GoT level good.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The debate over how to pronounce "symbiote", a made up word that as far as I can tell originated in a print medium (comic books) [the real, biological term is "symbiont"], is internet gold. Debating how to pronounce a made up comic book word thats only ever occurred in a written form.

And itd be pronounced sym bee oat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This looks like it will have way too much non-costumed Venom. The feeling I get is that 70% of the movie will be Brock running around in his hoodie with occasional tendrils shooting out, and we'll get a full-on Venom for only the climactic final battle.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I really pray to Jesus that the film is at least 70% ACTUAL Venom because it would be so good. It's a risk but it would pay off so well. Please, please, don't let it just be 2 minutes of Venom. The end of the trailer is GLORIOUS.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Since it's an origin story I doubt much of Venom will be seen. I'm fine with a majority of it being Prototype with Venom towards the end.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If they make Carnage into a Durka CEO from The Nigh OF, I will fucking riot.

Isnt there a shitty movie coming out where poor mans Tom hardy is paralyzed and then some chip takes over and the movie is him fucking people up while arguing with the AI.

Its like t he same fucking thing as Hardy arguing with the symb EYE OAT

UPGRADE. Trailer was before "A Quiet Place." Looks lulzy enough for a view.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
That trailer did not excite. Looked like a whole lot of Tom with a weird accent and CW level CGI Symbiote arms.
Not sure how they make this character as dynamic as it deserves without the shared hatred for spiderman as a base.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guess I need to invest in some HDR/OLED technology because the CGI looked fine on my pleb 1920x1080 res monitors!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i know it's hard to tell good stories without them, but i'm so tired of comic book origin story movies...

• 1Salty

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I get what you are going for, but the "put him in his own sideline" works for some, I just dont think it works for this character,

If we want to ignore the origin stuff and just reboot the character to this story, ok...But isnt it then silly that hisPowers and appearance are still based off of Spiderman?

The reason Venom has the skillset and looks he does it because hes the Anti Spiderman. Its like making a stand alone Bizarro Superman movie.

Could you make a standalone Mandarin film disconnected from Iron man? Sure, the character isnt rooted completely in another character. Its much harder to make a standalone Sabretooth film that doesnt connect to Wolverine.

Movie might be great and maybe Ill have no issue once I see it. I just see sony cranking out a stand alone Vendom movie as a weird idea that is probably mostly a cash grab.
This is the first post I've seen anywhere that clearly, and accurately, encapsulates why anyone should be doubting this film. On the surface though, this looks pretty good. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since Marvel had a hand in it.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I've been scanning the metrics on social media. Seems everyone's problem is with his eyes.

Venom's eyes are supposed to be way bigger.

EVS, a 25 year pro comic book artist, says it's not just the eyes that are supposed to be bigger. Venom is meant to be a hand shorter than the Hulk not the same height as Tom Hardy.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
"
The debate over how to pronounce "symbiote", a made up word that as far as I can tell originated in a print medium (comic books) [the real, biological term is "symbiont"], is internet gold. Debating how to pronounce a made up comic book word thats only ever occurred in a written form.

And itd be pronounced sym bee oat.

It's Sym-BYE-otic and symbiotic relationships were already a thing as a scientific term. Basically any relationship when one or both of the organisms depend on the other for survival. In this case you could argue it's a parasitic symbiosis as the symbiote itself cannot live without a host body, but the host itself would be fine without it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's not that she's pronouncinjg it "sym-bye-ote" it's that's she's pronouncing it "sym-BYE-ote." she is absolutely over-emphasizing the "bye" syllable the same way that someone struggles pronouncing a word for the first time and gets hung up in certain places. the reason why people feel comfortable pronouncing it "sym-bee-ote" is because it naturally puts the emphasis on the first syllable whereas "sym-bye-ote" naturally puts the emphasis on the second syllable just due to the change in the shape of your mouth. that, however, is an issue that resolves itself once you are comfortable with how a word is put together.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What any Spider-Man villains does marvel have access to ?
If it's the "standard" deal, then any character that first appeared in a stand-alone Spiderman story is out, unless the lawyers agree. Anyone that appeared in another comic, even if he/she/it is almost always involved with Peter is ok.