Venom (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
"

It's Sym-BYE-otic and symbiotic relationships were already a thing as a scientific term. Basically any relationship when one or both of the organisms depend on the other for survival. In this case you could argue it's a parasitic symbiosis as the symbiote itself cannot live without a host body, but the host itself would be fine without it.
Right, but like I said. The real word that means what theyre trying to say here is "symbiont". It just makes me laugh; its like they made up a different word for mutation instead of using the real word mutation.

Fadaar

That guy
Get me a fucking donut with my coffee

Also, looks alright. Will wait for reviews but I'm expecting a decent to possibly good flick, nothing more.

LennyLeonard

Trakanon Raider
It's Sym-BYE-otic
the reason why people feel comfortable pronouncing it "sym-bee-ote" is because it naturally puts the emphasis on the first syllable whereas "sym-bye-ote" naturally puts the emphasis on the second syllable just due to the change in the shape of your mouth

Is it though? I think it's one of those UK vs American English situations.

OED has /ˌsɪmbɪˈɒtɪk/
Merriam Webster has \ˌsim-bē-ˈä-tik\ which second syllable is the same as bee.

So pick your poison. That said, has Sony actually made a good (i.e. non forgettable trash needlessly heavy with cameos and/or product placement) movie in the last 10-15 years? I've become far more cynical in general as I age, but I feel it's fairly safe to say a resounding "meh" with this trailer. Takes place in San Fransisco not New York, Tom Hardy sounds like a guy on Youtube practicing his Brooklyn accent (go with a different accent, especially if its no longer set in NY), dialogue included in the trailer sounds overly simplistic, no spider-man connection, "rich bad guy doing rich bad guy stuff" as villain, tag line of "embrace your inner anti-hero" (really? Not "venom", "poison", "demon(s)", "self"?). The special effects don't bother me, and I'm sure they spent a buttload on production.

Just a boatload of "meh".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about this yesterday I am now sad that Tom Hardy will not be playing Tombstone as the next Spiderman villain in Homecoming 2. I think he would be fabulous as that lesser known villain.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EVS, a 25 year pro comic book artist, says it's not just the eyes that are supposed to be bigger. Venom is meant to be a hand shorter than the Hulk not the same height as Tom Hardy.

Not just the eyes, but the eyes would go a long way to selling it onscreen I think we can agree. The eyes are the primary complaint because its just in-your-face what-the-fucking-fuck-its-ruined part of the whole CGI.

The eyes are what made Venom Venom. That freakish otherworldly interstellar beast aspect, ya know, just the entire fucking premise of the symbiote.

It was in the huge strange freakish eyes.

Without the eyes, this isn't Venom. I was going to support the movie, but I'm out. It's just too glaring of a problem. "AMORPHOUS EXTRATERRESTRIAL" with nothing to do about it. It's a fucking yikes mistake. I can't even.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Fucking nerds bitching about the eyes. That rates about a 0 on if I'll enjoy the movie or not

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Didn't Spidey's eyes change in Homecoming between the trailers and final movie? Could have sworn this happened before.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
tumblr_p7pxq2qd201wuau81o1_r1_500.gif

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Without Spiderman and/or a connection to the MCU, this film is left wanting for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Spiderman 3 took the guy who was supposed to be Carnage and turned him into Sandman right? I think that made me the angriest, not Iron Man 3 angry but definitely up there.

If Carnage is in this and he isn't a nut House patient that murders... riot.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You guys are a bunch of faggots. This is going to be one of the biggest films of the year and blow expectations out of the water.

The 1500 dorks who think they’re Venom purists for the sake of their virginity are the only ones who will be surprised. Then they’ll act like they were behind it all along.

Go fuck yourselves.
BEFCB7A0-ED36-4662-B69F-A46D0C66C93A.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users