Venom (2018)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It looked a little "Sony" to me and very little Marvel influence. That's just me and it's still early. Sure it's a tremendous upgrade from the Venom we got before but i'm not too excited just yet for this one but we'll see as we get a few more trailers and stuff gets polished.

Molten Core Raider
Man I dunno, I'm usually the first one to fuss at my hardcore comic buddies who love to pick apart a movie because it didn't follow the comic story, but Venom and Spidey just can't operate without each other, at least at first. It reminds me too much of the DCEU, the studios want to do it now rather than do it right.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So the Joker to Spiderman's Batman has been stripped of his entire origin, and made from a villain into a Anti Hero who fights bad guys.

Fuck this noise.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks cool to me. I was never a spidey fanboy so I don't care about reimagining source material. I dig anti-heroes and Tom Hardy. So count me in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Seriously I dont get it.

"Hey Guys our deal with MArvel let us relaunch Spiderman by a cool cameo in Civil War, and then they helped us crank out the Best Spiderman movie that had been made with Homecoming. The character is about to be a focal point of the Biggest comic book movie ever made and We have a Sequel planned. What Now?"

"Since we have a sequel coming, should we maybe start building a big bad for Spidey like every other series has done? Maybe plant some seeds in the sequel that will pay off with the ultimate showdown in a third film? Kingpin has been used in recent films, do we go back to the Green Goblin? Or maybe the Insidious Six since we just used Vulture?"

"No , Even better. Venom! We should make a stand alone Venom Film!"

"GREAT IDEA! We could completely change the Meta and release a VILLAIN Origin story! We could really build a new universe with Venom as the ultimate enemy of Spidey!"

"NO! EVEN BETTER! The Film is completely disconnected from Spider man. We dont even acknowledge the characters origin. Instead of making a villain we completely cut out the MCU and our Spiderman films and make a stand alone movie"

"uhhhh, isnt it hard to do Brock's origin without Spidey..."

"Exactly, so we make it better! Instead of being a angry Brock who blames Peter for everything, that merges with a Symbiote that also wants revenge on Peter and thus creating the ultimate enemy, we make him a good guy reporter who is accidentally infected with the symbiote that makes him a reluctant hero with great power..."

"Like Spidermans Origin?"

"Exactly. And instead of being a Villain, hes a anti hero who stops the bad guys coming after him and uses his power to fight baddies"

"uhhhhhhh"

"Then to make it clear hes not a villain, we will burn up another of Spideys Big Bads in Carnage, who is the logical enemy of Venom. And instead of being an accidental offspring of Venom and hosted by a serial killer, it will be a big company exec who is trying to capture venom"

"But, wait, then who will spiderman face in his sequel?"

"No clue, some random guy like Mysterio, thats what people want. After battling the Avengers, Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, Spidey should go back to two bit crooks while we waste his super powered enemies on each other! We will print money!"

"isnt this how we screwed up all our marvel IPs in the first place?"

"Get out"

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Well, if I understood the Sony-Disney deal correctly, Sony still has the rights to Spiderman (and his villains, supporting characters, etc..) but not to the specific Tom Holland depiction of Spiderman (which the Sony-Disney deal has in for Civil War, Homecoming, Homecoming 2, Avengers 3 and Avengers 4).

Once the deal is over and they don't want to continue, Sony might recast/reboot Spiderman and throw him into their own little "Venom-verse". And while the deal is still on, they can make Venom-movies and hope to deceive the nerds they are part of the MCU without making actual cross-overs that would get the Disney-lawyers going.

But Tom Holland and Tom Hardy will never meet in these roles, I think.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seriously I dont get it.

"Hey Guys our deal with MArvel let us relaunch Spiderman by a cool cameo in Civil War, and then they helped us crank out the Best Spiderman movie that had been made with Homecoming. The character is about to be a focal point of the Biggest comic book movie ever made and We have a Sequel planned. What Now?"

"Since we have a sequel coming, should we maybe start building a big bad for Spidey like every other series has done? Maybe plant some seeds in the sequel that will pay off with the ultimate showdown in a third film? Kingpin has been used in recent films, do we go back to the Green Goblin? Or maybe the Insidious Six since we just used Vulture?"

"No , Even better. Venom! We should make a stand alone Venom Film!"

"GREAT IDEA! We could completely change the Meta and release a VILLAIN Origin story! We could really build a new universe with Venom as the ultimate enemy of Spidey!"

"NO! EVEN BETTER! The Film is completely disconnected from Spider man. We dont even acknowledge the characters origin. Instead of making a villain we completely cut out the MCU and our Spiderman films and make a stand alone movie"

"uhhhh, isnt it hard to do Brock's origin without Spidey..."

"Exactly, so we make it better! Instead of being a angry Brock who blames Peter for everything, that merges with a Symbiote that also wants revenge on Peter and thus creating the ultimate enemy, we make him a good guy reporter who is accidentally infected with the symbiote that makes him a reluctant hero with great power..."

"Like Spidermans Origin?"

"Exactly. And instead of being a Villain, hes a anti hero who stops the bad guys coming after him and uses his power to fight baddies"

"uhhhhhhh"

"Then to make it clear hes not a villain, we will burn up another of Spideys Big Bads in Carnage, who is the logical enemy of Venom. And instead of being an accidental offspring of Venom and hosted by a serial killer, it will be a big company exec who is trying to capture venom"

"But, wait, then who will spiderman face in his sequel?"

"No clue, some random guy like Mysterio, thats what people want. After battling the Avengers, Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, Spidey should go back to two bit crooks while we waste his super powered enemies on each other! We will print money!"

"isnt this how we screwed up all our marvel IPs in the first place?"

"Get out"

While I get that you're a much bigger fan of Spiderman than I am. I have no problem with them sidelining Venom into his own thing. Spiderman does have a significant Rogue's Gallery to draw upon for his films. Spiderman II all those years ago absolutely nailed Doctor Octopus.

If anything the MCU has proven they can take a bullshit villain nobody cares about (Vulture) and make him actually cool. I have no worries that they can take Mysterio and make him interesting. Barring that they can go to Doc Ock again or use Kraven, Kingpin, Tombstone (Tom Hardy would have made a badass Tombstone TBH!) or whatever. Also bring in Black Cat please.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Honestly, Venom's love-hate for Spiderman has always been super gay so I could care less. The anti-hero thing worked in the limited series' for me since I got tried of Spiderman's humanity approaches to villains like Carnage. Dude is killing people en masse and he's dogging it. Venom used to fuck people's shit up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, Venom's love-hate for Spiderman has always been super gay so I could care less. The anti-hero thing worked in the limited series' for me since I got tried of Spiderman's humanity approaches to villains like Carnage. Dude is killing people en masse and he's dogging it. Venom used to fuck people's shit up.

Yeah. MCU needs to keep Spiderman's villains in Villian Lite. Vulture was a sympathic villain to a degree and his crimes were all street level. They'll have to keep at it for Spiderman to remain his kind of carefree attitude about it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
While I get that you're a much bigger fan of Spiderman than I am. I have no problem with them sidelining Venom into his own thing. Spiderman does have a significant Rogue's Gallery to draw upon for his films. Spiderman II all those years ago absolutely nailed Doctor Octopus.

If anything the MCU has proven they can take a bullshit villain nobody cares about (Vulture) and make him actually cool. I have no worries that they can take Mysterio and make him interesting. Barring that they can go to Doc Ock again or use Kraven, Kingpin, Tombstone (Tom Hardy would have made a badass Tombstone TBH!) or whatever. Also bring in Black Cat please.

I get what you are going for, but the "put him in his own sideline" works for some, I just dont think it works for this character,

If we want to ignore the origin stuff and just reboot the character to this story, ok...But isnt it then silly that hisPowers and appearance are still based off of Spiderman?

The reason Venom has the skillset and looks he does it because hes the Anti Spiderman. Its like making a stand alone Bizarro Superman movie.

Could you make a standalone Mandarin film disconnected from Iron man? Sure, the character isnt rooted completely in another character. Its much harder to make a standalone Sabretooth film that doesnt connect to Wolverine.

Movie might be great and maybe Ill have no issue once I see it. I just see sony cranking out a stand alone Vendom movie as a weird idea that is probably mostly a cash grab.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No sign of Carnage, am disappoint.

Dude they showed two Symbiote canisters. Guarantee the CEO becomes a faggot version of Carnage. Which is a shame because the batshit insane Cletus Kasady would be awesome.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
someone mentioned earlier in the thread that there would be 3 symbiotes in the movie, im assuming venom, the ceo guy, and the third will be Cletus. im assuming after venom takes down the ceo guy they reveal carnage and roll credits.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why using CGI? Why they don't use a suit and only use CGI when the symbiote is used?

Needless

Toe Sucker
i'm like 90% sure the symbiote is voiced by lance reddick, am i wrong? lol

Fug, he tweeted saying it isnt him

Last edited: