Vikings

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Travis Fimmel gets a lot better as time goes on, so I'd stay stick with it if he was your main gripe with the early seasons.* The story branches out really well from him, and a lot of the old characters end up stepping their game up a lot later on (Floki stays awesome, Rollo stays kinda awesome, Lagertha, etc.)

*Saying this more in general to anyone that decides to the pick up the show. Know a few people that said they were curious but were also given pause because the lead dude was 'the Warcraft guy.'

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I'd say the actor doesn't get better they just turned him into an opium addict to justify the odd acting. At this point I'd say a good counter argument to gripes with the main guy, especially as someone who slogged through it, is that, 100% agree with you on this, supporting cast really amped up their game and turned some 1 dimensional characters into really interesting pieces on the board for season 4. After seeing the guy who plays his son in some more things and the hints at his season 4 arc I'm actually excited about seeing where that leads the show.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
That entire subplot was (almost) redeemed by the fact the princess gets put down like a disobedient shih tzu. But yeah, I may have blanked out on a lot of that opium bullshit in my OP. That was pretty bad.

Cybsled

She was pretty fucking dumb

"I'm gonna tell everyone about the bad shit you did!! Oh ya, and I can't get you more drugs"

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ragnar's relationship with Athelstan over the course of season 2 is probably one of the best parts of this show. It's honestly almost as good as Game of Thrones, and I'm a HUGE GoT fan.

The production quality is actually better in my opinion; probably because they need to spend less on a CGI budget. Just wish they were a little bit more realistic with the outfits, but that's every series. There's quite a few deviations from history, like Count Odo. He became the ruler of Paris irl. That keeps the show interesting, because just when you think the story is going to head in one direction (from history's perspective) it throws something else your way. Watch the first season. If you aren't hooked, then I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you.

I just don't get all the Lagertha love. The show spans over 20 years and she still looks like a woman in her mid 30s, and sheildmaidens didn't exist IRL. If they did, there were very few of them.

The most interesting thing about Vikings are berserkers. We still have absolutely no idea what these guys did to earn their reputation. People think they got high on mushrooms, had PTSD, and so forth...but it's just guessing. They would get into such a rage that the commander would hold them back until he saw an opening, and then unleash them. They'd slaughter anything in there path, friend or foe. Other vikings would get the fuck out of their way and let them through because they'd just kill everything in front of them, and were almost impervious to pain. The PTSD theory is not likely. The Battle of Stamford Bridge had an account of one of these guys holding back the entire Saxon army on a bridge, killing 30+ English soldiers. It wasn't until a Saxon floated under the bridge and drove a spear under it that he was killed.

Harald Hardrada had the most experienced and best army in Europe. It's luck that the Saxons caught their army unawares away from their boats, without their armor or weapons. It's very likely that had the Saxon's lost at Stamford Bridge that England would have been conquered by the Vikings rather than William and the Normans. But the Normans were Vikings too... so I guess it's semantics.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm

This is one of the most epic sequences I've seen on film/television. There's no spoilers so feel free to watch it. It's so beautiful and the music is almost indescribable.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have last nights episode sitting in my DVR and cant wait to watch it tonight.

But first I'm going to knock back a couple beers at the bar.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
First episode of the newest season sucked.

Hopefully they're just trying to establish trajectories in this one episode.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Season 5 started back up today, ep 1 & 2.
Not sure how much this has left in the tank since Ragnar is now dead, it's basically the sons from the viking and english sides and lagetha taking over the focus. Will have to see how well it goes.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I've liked it so far without Ragnar. I had to catch up on the last 5 episodes from last season first, but still pretty good.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Saw a couple episodes last year from before the time jump. Heard it is currently dealing with Ivar the Boneless & the great Danish army at York but have not kept up. Is anybody watching and did the show finally turn to shit?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I am watching. Much as i liked ragnar, I am not missing him. I'm missing rollo a little and I'm not sure why they dropped his storyline, but ivar and bjorn are more than making up for ragnar.

Also, laegertha is still super hot. So it's got that going for it. Which is nice.

Cybsled

There probably wouldn't be much to do with Rollo at this point. He won anyways...he ends up being the sire of all the royal families of Europe pretty much.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Sounds good to me. just do 1 scene every other episode of him raping some bitches.

But for real, didn't rollo take over normandy and drive off muslims? I'm kinda thinking bjorn will run into him.

Oldbased

> Than U
My OnDemand only has season 5 so I started watching it from Season 5 Ep1. Needs more raping and pillaging and angry woman faces. Still not bad for the first few episodes available to me. The list says it goes to episode 6 for season 5 so far available.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
That last episode of season 5 has to rank as one of the best episodes of tv ever. Holy shit was it amazing. fuck rollo.