VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Siliconemelons

Got to jump back into vr some and play Bridge Crew (PSVR+Wands) for a whopping 30 min, VR is awesome and the "true" next gen of VR is going to be SUPER awesome.

But I do not see a true next gen adoption until it is as easy and $$ as PSVR is - if the first round of next gen is like OR1, I need a 5k PC and 2k headset... yeah, it will be awesome and you get it asap... but really... it needs to be all in all about 500$

I think customers understand that VR is going to be "more" than "standard" - but consoles always run the "entry" price point - a 300$ish console and a 200$ish VR setup I think is the sweet spot. Once they can do that with the big jump in resolution and fps and "cleaned up the graphics!" - along with all the other stuff we want like no wires, better "controllers" etc.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Resolution is disappointing on the new Oculus headset, I think HP is coming out with one that should have decent resolution specs, not sure how good their hardware will be though.

Will probably wind up waiting for the real next gen Oculus.

Siliconemelons

Someone with a lot more technical knowledge explain to me why they can't use some form of ultra advanced e-ink screen? Then to have it forward lit to be more natural? Real life it items reflecting their color to you, LCD OLED etc is it projecting it's color on to/in to you.

I remember e-ink used to be mono, then multi shade, now color. The "refresh" of e-ink also used to be like 1 fps... but that has changed.

I know there is not much push for advancement of this type of screen, but.. Do you think it would/could result in a more natural VR view?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
In a perfect world with unlimited funding they have acknowledged that there are better screen technologies out there, like the one you mentioned. They always say that the reason VR may have finally become a real thing now is because they are able to leverage the cel phone industry economy of scale on the screens and other hardware components. That is why these things are a few hundred dollars each instead of thousands.

I have no doubt that deep in the belly of Facebook HQ there are all kinds of prototypes that use some pretty radical technology.

Siliconemelons

wow they really let that page get up before it was ready, they have the generic place holder text still sitting in places lol

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm a little bummed to notice that VR looks like it dropped off again after the holiday surge, but not really surprised.

What's your own reason for not playing VR more? It's not the price, nausea, graphics or anything like that for me. It's just the ~45-60 seconds it takes to set it up. Pretty rediculous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
A pretty good overview of the Valve Index. Looks great, but the $1,000 price tag is going to be a big limiter for a lot of people - especially since you need a beefy video card too.

I wish the FOV and resolution were slightly higher, but as long as the reviews are good and there are no major production issues, this is probably be a buy for me.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I keep waiting for something that gets me to jump in. I think for me, it's ideal for cars/planes, because otherwise, to me VR would be disorientating without feeling like I'm walking for real. And I can't think of many games where i'd be happy playing in a 8 foot room. WRU holodeck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I keep waiting for something that gets me to jump in. I think for me, it's ideal for cars/planes, because otherwise, to me VR would be disorientating without feeling like I'm walking for real. And I can't think of many games where i'd be happy playing in a 8 foot room. WRU holodeck.
Flight sims have huge potential in VR the massive viewing size lets you really see that building or plane or mountain that would normally be too small to really enjoy on a flat screen. The problem is the resolution is so low that you just see a pile of pixels. It's still technically better than a flat surface you're looking at, but it's just not there yet.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Elite Dangerous in VR is amazing as it lets you look out the windows of your cockpit at things you're flying near. Flying inside of the stations to dock is indescribable. It's ridiculously immersive. But, yeah, as Tuco said: The resolution just isn't there. It's bad enough that the stars are pixelated on top of being smeared to shit, and the orbital lines aren't much better. Even the background of the space itself looks bad because the colour banding gets pixelated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Elite Dangerous in VR is amazing as it lets you look out the windows of your cockpit at things you're flying near. Flying inside of the stations to dock is indescribable. It's ridiculously immersive. But, yeah, as Tuco said: The resolution just isn't there. It's bad enough that the stars are pixelated on top of being smeared to shit, and the orbital lines aren't much better. Even the background of the space itself looks bad because the colour banding gets pixelated.
I was so dissapointed when i loader up eve valkyrie and it felt like i was playing at 800x600 on my HD monitor.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot launches alongside Youngblood, but this one puts you in the action thanks to PlayStation VR. Hack into devastating war machines, use their own weapons against them, and aid the ongoing resistance against the Nazi threat.

This got a LOL out of me.

Screenshot_20190721-200950_Chrome.jpg