VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

oculus quest, the standalone "ive got no wires on me" version, also can now plug into a PC via USB-C and play rift games. which kinda makes rift totally pointless, since quest has inside out tracking

when quest goes on sale for black friday im buying one for my dad and a VR camera (lenovo makes one) and see how he likes taking videos and then watching it in VR. yeah i know i'm not gonna look at all at his videos folder after that

I did not know this.. about the USB-C augmentation... yeah... Quest 100%

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Might be good!

Saw this yesterday. I wish it was coming to PSVR. The same guy that did the original Medal of Honor beach landing scene which was epic.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
it sounds like quest will be "streaming" games from PC to the display unit, but i dunno if thats a higher quality or not than just the rift S

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I do not think a plugged in quest is better than a rift s... I think it is a better price and performance ratio with that additional ability to plug in and play games that are over demanding and the quest itself cannot do. And the ability to play quest-level games completely wireless is A+ and then just plug it on in to play the bigger titles.

So with this you can split your entry cost - HMD and computer separate vs together as one.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Pretty solid rumors that Half Life VR is going to release soon, its a prequel to Half Life 2 and only playable in VR.

tl;dr -
  • AAA VR exclusive in development for roughly 4 years intended to be a killer app to get people to buy into VR.
  • Singleplayer game where you play as Alyx Vance across a 12-16 hour story - meant as a prequel to 2.
  • Will support locomotion options because Valve is now all for locomotion.
  • The game will heavily utilize physics and includes a physical player body.
  • Runs in Source 2, is supposed to look graphically impressive.
  • obviously steam game, will support Vive and Oculus Rift (probably Quest too, in wired PC mode)
  • Is on schedule (as far as we know) to release in 2019 with a near simultaneous reveal and launch.

Half Life 2 came out Nov 16th, 2004 and Orange Box (TF2, Portal) was released Oct 10th, 2007.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I do really miss the fun music games. We got a lot out of Fantasia on Xbox. We'd probably still be playing it if it had Rock Band-like support for it.

I liked Audio Shield, until it lost Youtube Support. Haven't really gotten into Beat Saber or some of the other VR stuff due to where my rig is setup now (thx, ceiling fan).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I got my Rift S and it's pretty badass, just waiting on the steam sale so I can buy more games than I need. So far I've only played Zero Caliber VR and that shit is a blast with friends. Took forever to get used to shooting and moving.

I also got sick as fuck the first night after playing it, but it seems if I turn the fan on before I start I'm fine.

Really looking forward to the following games

Pavlov
Boneworks
Lone Echo
Robo Recall

I'm sure there are more I'm missing but those look badass. I'm really looking forward to those Steam VR titles that are coming (One supposed to be announced this month and supposedly a half life title as well).

Siliconemelons

What is USB-C length max? Working on a lab at work- going to get some Quests and want to be able to plug them up to a desktop for higher powered stuff but also have a retractable cable system set up?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I do really miss the fun music games. We got a lot out of Fantasia on Xbox. We'd probably still be playing it if it had Rock Band-like support for it.

I liked Audio Shield, until it lost Youtube Support. Haven't really gotten into Beat Saber or some of the other VR stuff due to where my rig is setup now (thx, ceiling fan).
i'm about to move tvs/monitors on my ddr station, currently i have a 24in monitor with a ps2 hooked up to hdmi and ps1 hooked up with vga, i'll move a 32in old ass flat screen to it (it is literally just on the other side of the wall, cuz my wife a larger and more resolution abled tv for the treadmill (720p looks janky on windows so had to get 1080p, didn't go crazy, just got whatever renewed tv was around on amazon for $100ish and 43in)

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
What is USB-C length max? Working on a lab at work- going to get some Quests and want to be able to plug them up to a desktop for higher powered stuff but also have a retractable cable system set up?
Cables

What is the maximum cable length?

The specification doesn't defines performance standards but not a maximum length for USB 3.0 cables. In practical terms the limit is 3 m with AWG 26 wires.

What if I need to use a 5 m cable?

If the device is low, full, or high speed, you can use a 5 m USB 2.0 cable. At SuperSpeed, use a hub and two cables.

Can two SuperSpeed hosts connect directly to each other?

USB 3.0 defines a new crossover cable with a Standard A plug on each end. The cable does not include VBUS, D+, or D- wires. The SuperSpeed transmit and receive wires are cross-connected to route each output to its corresponding input. The specification says the cable is intended for OS debugging and other host-to-host applications. The cable won't hurt USB 2.0 hosts because the only line that connects on these hosts is GND. USB 2.0 does not have a legal host-to-host cable except for bridge cables that contain two device controllers with a common buffer.

this seems to be what you have to search for superspeed active usb 3 to get a longer extension

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

What if they made DDR in VR and you do not need pads anymore and its like beatsaber and the weeboo anime girls dance along with you.

HOT DAMN FoH programmers make this now and give us $$

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I got my Rift S and it's pretty badass, just waiting on the steam sale so I can buy more games than I need. So far I've only played Zero Caliber VR and that shit is a blast with friends. Took forever to get used to shooting and moving.

I also got sick as fuck the first night after playing it, but it seems if I turn the fan on before I start I'm fine.

Really looking forward to the following games

Pavlov
Boneworks
Lone Echo
Robo Recall

I'm sure there are more I'm missing but those look badass. I'm really looking forward to those Steam VR titles that are coming (One supposed to be announced this month and supposedly a half life title as well).
Bridge Crew is super fun with friends.

• 1Like