VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Youngblood and the Cyberpilot shit sucks. No one should be shocked. Another Bethesda published disaster.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I jumped into VR finally. I bought the new Oculus Rift S today for $399. I loved how easy the install was and the unit doesn't require any sensors or hardware install around the room. Just plug and play essentially.

Overall, I am very impressed. I had tried a Vive before, and the graphics were garbage. This is so much better and there is no screen door effect. I got Skyrim VR and I will probably play through Subnautica again on VR.

Siliconemelons

Modded up skyrim is still one of /the/ best VR exps there is- heck even ps4 psvr skyrim is great

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a Rift S? Thinking about getting a headset for my PC and the Rift is far more affordable than a Vive or Index. Just reading the subreddit it seems like they have connectivity issues or something and tracking problems?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got a Rift S two weeks ago. I think it is great.

I haven't experienced any connectivity or tracking issues. It has worked flawlessly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There's a temporary VR thing at the Westfield Mall here in SF and I went today. Fucking awesome. By far the best VR experience I've ever had. Went with three friends and we were all very impressed. Temperature sensors and smells and everything. Walking around through rooms with elevators and vibrating floors to make the ship parts feel real. I might do it again before they close next week. Just wish it was longer, but it really opened up the possibilities of what VR can do in the very near future.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

also couldn't stand all the wire mess, decided to get a dock
Skywin PSVR Charging Display Stand - Showcase, Cool, Charge, and Display your PS4 VR - Playstation 4 Vertical Stand, Fan, Controller Charger and Hub by Skywin
f8a0bd92f5d2d4c9599d9aaeb46bc5a0.png

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i decided this stand doesn't work well with how i want to rearrange the psvr, i'm getting a different stand that is just headunit, vr unit and controller charger.

The way i have it setup now is the vr unit is behind me and i use 25ft hdmi and usb to connect to ps4 in front. there wasn't enough "play" with the cables hanging from the ceiling, so far this works best.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the Rift S and it seems to interface with SteamVR flawlessly. At least everything I have tried has worked without a hitch.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have the Rift S and it seems to interface with SteamVR flawlessly. At least everything I have tried has worked without a hitch.

Cool, thinking about getting one for Xmas.

What about setting it up for other games that don't support it like a VR game? Like a theater experience or what not (Sorry I don't know what it's called). Is this something easy to configure?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't used any of those yet, but they have theater Apps in the Occulus store that you can download. I imagine it is easy.

Honestly, one of the best things I can say about it is the plug and play simplicity of it. It has no extraneous sensors or anything required for setup. All the cameras/sensors are built right into the headset itself. So it knows where the ground is and where the ceiling is, and it has a guardian program if you are getting to close to a physical obstacle like a wall or a desk.

It is great. You just plug it in, run through about 3 minutes of instruction/controller pairing and you are done. The price and easy of use were definitely right for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

I haven't used any of those yet, but they have theater Apps in the Occulus store that you can download. I imagine it is easy.

Honestly, one of the best things I can say about it is the plug and play simplicity of it. It has no extraneous sensors or anything required for setup. All the cameras/sensors are built right into the headset itself. So it knows where the ground is and where the ceiling is, and it has a guardian program if you are getting to close to a physical obstacle like a wall or a desk.

It is great. You just plug it in, run through about 3 minutes of instruction/controller pairing and you are done. The price and easy of use were definitely right for me.

Damn, that's badass. Looks like you sold me on it. Thanks for the input bud.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i'll be doing this soon
714DzwNippL._SX466_.jpg

anyone done it? currently the "kit" is like 16bucks, but i already have like 10 of those reels, i have em for work badges heh (and yes it's the super strong kind)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn, that's badass. Looks like you sold me on it. Thanks for the input bud.
I don't think you will be disappointed. I had been holding off and researching for years now. I was willing to pay the $1k+ price tag of Vive Pro, but I was also aware that these things are advancing rapidly and having a $Grand in dinosaur tech collecting dust after a year or so would be depressing.

The Rift S graphic quality is quite good. I have done Phone VR and 1st generation Vive's. I would compare them like going from VHS tapes to 720p HD. The Rift S has hardly any "screen-door" effect. Sure, it isn't perfect and there is still a lot of room for improvement, but the graphics are good enough to where they certainly are not a distraction and they will even impress you every now and then.

At $400 the price was right to finally jump in and it is a low enough price point where I won't feel bad trashing as the new technology develops.

Hekotat

I don't think you will be disappointed. I had been holding off and researching for years now. I was willing to pay the $1k+ price tag of Vive Pro, but I was also aware that these things are advancing rapidly and having a $Grand in dinosaur tech collecting dust after a year or so would be depressing.

The Rift S graphic quality is quite good. I have done Phone VR and 1st generation Vive's. I would compare them like going from VHS tapes to 720p HD. The Rift S has hardly any "screen-door" effect. Sure, it isn't perfect and there is still a lot of room for improvement, but the graphics are good enough to where they certainly are not a distraction and they will even impress you every now and then.

At $400 the price was right to finally jump in and it is a low enough price point where I won't feel bad trashing as the new technology develops.

The price point is what made me curious. I was hoping that the new Vive would be cheaper but they didn't even change.

Seeing that price and that it works with SteamVR seems like a no brainer. I'll finally be able to play cockpit space games.

spronk

FPS noob
oculus quest, the standalone "ive got no wires on me" version, also can now plug into a PC via USB-C and play rift games. which kinda makes rift totally pointless, since quest has inside out tracking

when quest goes on sale for black friday im buying one for my dad and a VR camera (lenovo makes one) and see how he likes taking videos and then watching it in VR. yeah i know i'm not gonna look at all at his videos folder after that