VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Nope not at all. Most titles have zero difference. Sure we get super sampling on some titles but it’s still at the same resolution on the psvr. I haven’t noticed a difference. Only reason to get a pro is if you have a 4K set.

Last edited:

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Blows my mind that Bethesda decided to make this a timed exclusive on the platform that offers the absolute worst experience out of the three platforms (Not that Xbox has VR I guess) Skyrim is on.

spronk

FPS noob
Is it dumb to play this on a standard PS4 vs. A Pro?

I don’t wanna drop the cash unless absolutely necessary.

Load times are slightly better on Pro
some VR games uses foveated rendering on PS4 but not on PS4 Pro, it makes things a bit blurrier on edges of your view
textures can be sharper in some specific areas of some games

Its definitely an improvement but its a really minor one. The jump from PSVR to Rift/Vive is much bigger than the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro, and the jump to next gen VR next year is going to be huge as well. Wires, wires are the big problem you will find.

FWIW Gamestop is running a killer black friday promo, for $199 you will get a PS4 1TB Slim (no bundle i think though) PLUS a $50 GC you can put towards games or PSVR. $150 for a PS4 is crazy, I might pick up a second one. They will also sell a PS4 Pro for $349 but thats $200 more

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Many reports and reviews have stated that ONLY if you can take advantage of room scale, go with the Vive and a higher end PC. From every other stand point, they are pretty much equal other than the move controllers were never built for VR but work very well anyway, and you have to be facing the camera.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Many reports and reviews have stated that ONLY if you can take advantage of room scale, go with the Vive and a higher end PC. From every other stand point, they are pretty much equal other than the move controllers were never built for VR but work very well anyway, and you have to be facing the camera.

Having looked into it now the VR version will not support Mods "at launch" which defiantly makes the standing between PC and PS4 more equal. It also tosses this into the hard pass category for me. VR Skyrim with mod support has been working moderately well almost since the launch of the Oculus/Vive. Not interested in paying Bethesda, yet again, for less than I already have.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
For me, I only played the game without the mods (Have the DLC) for Skyrim and cannot remember any of it. So, I will go through the story again and this time hit all the other stuff I never hit along the way. Either way, for a full VR experience in this game, I think that's worth a repurchase for me. It sounds pretty sweet so far. This will be the first living breathing world to explore so I am pretty fired up :) Should put a whole new meaning on it.

Also, without PSVR, I highly doubt it would be as mainstream and now starting to get pushed. I am REALLY fired up for next versions on newer consoles.

PSVR Sales Have Earned Sony Over $500 Million

Last edited:

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
If they ever bother to re-add mod support, not their fucked up Creation Club abortion, I may pick it up for PC one day. It would probably need to support the already made mods though to be worth it because I can't see this having enough support to attract all the Mod authors all over again.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If they ever bother to re-add mod support, not their fucked up Creation Club abortion, I may pick it up for PC one day. It would probably need to support the already made mods though to be worth it because I can't see this having enough support to attract all the Mod authors all over again.

Yeah creation club sucks.

Siliconemelons

So black friday you can get a 200$ PS4 and a 200$ PSVR, so 400$ complete VR setup... worth it bros? I would sell my XBone and just use the PS4... no real loss all I use it for is netflix... only bought halo collection and haven't even gotten past halo 1...

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I would say it is defiiitely worth it. Having played a majority of the games / experiences. And now with Skyrim tomorrow it’s pretty much a no brainer. Just don’t play RE7 in VR, you will never be able to sleep again.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The game has been reworked to use move controllers (and I expect the pc vr controllers when it inevitably launches next year), has a new map system to go with VR, and a reworked menu system. It's not like they haven't done anything to get this working. If I had a top of the line gaming pc and a rift/vive I'd likely wait for the pc version but I don't so I won't.

Having played with the PSVR extensively I have zero regrets, if anything it's proven to me VR is here to stay and I'm quite happy to have played the PSVR exclusives (or timed exclusives)

The PRO has resolution/aa patches for almost every game I've played for PSVR and some games (arizona sunshine comes to mind) are barely playable on a normal PS4.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In preparation, I have also finally caved and needed something to charge all my PSVR devices all at once. And hold the PSVR. While making it look somewhat organized. Rather than plug in 4 controllers through various USB ports all over the house, I found this little gem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGCK1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Charge 2 DS4's, 2 Moves, hold your PSVR on a stand, and also charge your Headset if you have one, all at once with indicators...

Being my move controllers will see a LOT of use, this will be handy.
The 1-star reviews on that thing are pretty scary.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I actually own that thing and haven't had any issues yet. I don't charge my DS4's with it though.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I hate charging PS4 controls. Whether I charge them through the PS4 or via a usb connector in an outlet the charging light turns off and I have no idea if they stopped charging or if that's just what they do and are charging just fine.

I end up unplugging and plugging them back in periodically which is either a pain in the ass or just unnecessary

Lenas

Trump's Staff
4 pages of 1 star reviews pretty much all saying that thing fries controllers.

Would not risk it.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I already have mine on the way - seems 78% are 5 stars.... I'll try it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hate charging PS4 controls. Whether I charge them through the PS4 or via a usb connector in an outlet the charging light turns off and I have no idea if they stopped charging or if that's just what they do and are charging just fine.

I end up unplugging and plugging them back in periodically which is either a pain in the ass or just unnecessary
I have the opposite problem. I want to plug them in to charge when I'm done playing a game or watching TV, but it lights up the fucking room when you charge with the console on standby. I can only imagine what it will be like if I have 2 DS4s, 2 Moves, my headset, and a PS VR all charging at once. The fact that the stand Ut linked had the DS4s facing downwards and hopefully blocking the light made my consider getting it until I read the reviews.

Anyway, blue is on, yellow is charging, no light means it's charged/off.

-------------------------
Another round of PS VR questions...

Daezuel Daezuel what sort of stand are you using for the camera? I read the older ones aren't threaded for a tripod screw, not sure about the new camera. Ideally I would like to be able to take it off the stand and mount it to the TV normally, because there's going to be times I want to play sitting down. I definitely don't see myself playing something like RE7 or Skyrim for hours standing up the whole time. The ideal situation for me would be to mount it to a mini-tripod and set it on my dresser while playing standing, and on the shelf under the TV when I'm sitting. No idea if that's possible though.

I did some measurements and the area I could set up for playing while standing is basically an entire 6'x9' rug. The center of it is roughly 8' from the console though, hopefully that's not going to be a cable length issue.

And sound... I have the Sony Gold headset, I assume that's more or less ideal for it?

Last edited:

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
There is nothing to charge on the PSVR headset. I read the reviews before I got it as well but went ahead anyways and haven't had any issues yet. I wonder about the age of some of the complaints Move controllers were as if they were OG controllers I could see the batteries already being dead etc.

I use a different charging station for my DS4's because it comes with a little dongle that goes into the usb port on the DS4 (and leave connected) and you just put the controllers on the station to charge. The PSVR stand actually has a mini usb attachment sticking out for you to plug your DS4's into, looks like a pain to me. The Moves have to be snapped into the base as well, I can imagine people fucking that part up quite easily.

I got it because it was $35 and I wanted some place to put my shit and be able to charge my move controllers.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Another round of PS VR questions...

Daezuel Daezuel what sort of stand are you using for the camera? I read the older ones aren't threaded for a tripod screw, not sure about the new camera. Ideally I would like to be able to take it off the stand and mount it to the TV normally, because there's going to be times I want to play sitting down. I definitely don't see myself playing something like RE7 or Skyrim for hours standing up the whole time. The ideal situation for me would be to mount it to a mini-tripod and set it on my dresser while playing standing, and on the shelf under the TV when I'm sitting. No idea if that's possible though.

I did some measurements and the area I could set up for playing while standing is basically an entire 6'x9' rug. The center of it is roughly 8' from the console though, hopefully that's not going to be a cable length issue.

And sound... I have the Sony Gold headset, I assume that's more or less ideal for it?

I don't always use a headset as I have 5.1 in my living room where my set up is and it's fine for most usage. I have the Golds as well and have used them just fine (though you have to plug them into the headset, its not hard).

I have the camera that came with the headset so its a newer one. There are no threads on it but there is a space in the middle you can stick something through. I have mine set up on a boom mic stand because that's what I had handy around the house. It allows me to move it easily up/down, wherever I want. It's attached with some velcro so I could easily pull it off if I wanted as well.

I'm also using the ps4 camera extension cable so it's easier to move to where I want. (bought it on close out at best buy and they no longer carry it, unfortunately it's not a standard type of cable so you have to buy the correct one.)

Siliconemelons

Okay, Target black Friday is 200$ psVR and 200$ PS4 - we collect all our target "buy 2 get 5$ gift are" etc etc all year - so I will use all them and the wife just OKayd the plan... so 6pm Thursday, if I can't get both - I'll just pass.

Any word on the rumor they were going to let psVR be plugged up to use on a computer?

I mostly want to play bridge crew...

I need to buy those wand things? Or they come with it? Camera etc?