WandaVision

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
mackenzie dern

besides being the best womans bjj in the world, and good to look at... ppl tune in to hear her accent... or de-accent

she was born in arizona and grew up a cali girl

this is her 10 years ago, and they "document" her aquiring an accent

chicks do dumb shit like that all the time. Madonna married some english guy and moves to London and she immediately loses her NYC accent and starts talking like she has tea with the Queen every morning. its fucking embarrassing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well having your sinuses re-arranged and smashed into your brain for a living will probably change your accent. Can we stop 69ing over this issue now?
she only started training in striking in 2016 or 2015 and dec is the only time she actually got hurt

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
chicks do dumb shit like that all the time. Madonna married some english guy and moves to London and she immediately loses her NYC accent and starts talking like she has tea with the Queen every morning. its fucking embarrassing.
honestly that's a pretty common thing. more common than you'd expect, actually. when people are empathetic to others around them, they start blending traits. it's why dialects even are a thing.

as far as wanda goes, the only reason i think people really have an issue with it is because her accent basically disappears from one movie to the next. it would have been nice if in civil war, she still had an accent, but it was muted, and then by infinity war it was gone.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I mean Mila Kunis is from the Ukraine before moving to the states and she has no accent.

She moved here when she was 7. Its much easier to change/lose accent before puberty. There is a lot of research that was done on this.

I moved to US right before puberty from USSR, I still have an accent despite a command of English that is better than 90%+ of the native-borns.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its extremely hard to change an accent, its almost impossible to LOSE an accent as an adult, and if your native language isn't originally a branch of a language who's accent you're trying to imitate, then it is IMPOSSIBLE. You could probably pick up a British accent as a native American, but good luck speaking Russian without an accent as an American, or vice versa.

Wanda is from an Eastern European country of Sokovia, speaking a Slavic language, that is written in Cyrillic alphabet (as you can tell by watching the signs and billboards in last act of Age of Ultron). Her speaking flawless English is nonsense.
I don't follow this. Its one of the things that always impress me about actors/actresses. I will see them in a role with an accent and go "wow thats cool" and then find out that is their real accent and the American shit they do on TV is fake. I honestly didn't know Hugh Laurie was British until I saw Flight of the Phoenix as was like, huh? Whats really fucked up is the show Strike Back. The Britsh guy is actually American and the American is actually an Aussie but in the show they have opposite accents.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I don't follow this. Its one of the things that always impress me about actors/actresses. I will see them in a role with an accent and go "wow thats cool" and then find out that is their real accent and the American shit they do on TV is fake. I honestly didn't know Hugh Laurie was British until I saw Flight of the Phoenix as was like, huh? Whats really fucked up is the show Strike Back. The Britsh guy is actually American and the American is actually an Aussie but in the show they have opposite accents.

Why dont you follow this?

Everything you just said confirms 100% what you quoted.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
their job is to pretend?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why dont you follow this?

Everything you just said confirms 100% what you quoted.
I was replying to the impossible to lose an accent part. I was pointing out people do it. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
honestly that's a pretty common thing. more common than you'd expect, actually. when people are empathetic to others around them, they start blending traits. it's why dialects even are a thing.

as far as wanda goes, the only reason i think people really have an issue with it is because her accent basically disappears from one movie to the next. it would have been nice if in civil war, she still had an accent, but it was muted, and then by infinity war it was gone.
i think its possible to blend accents, but not totally trade one for the other unless you're doing it on purpose. i grew up in NJ next to Manhattan, so sometimes i talk like a New Yorker and other times i have the joisey thing going on. but ive lived here my entire life. if i move to England, i'm pretty sure i'll still sound like the same east coast asshole i have always been.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think its possible to blend accents, but not totally trade one for the other unless you're doing it on purpose. i grew up in NJ next to Manhattan, so sometimes i talk like a New Yorker and other times i have the joisey thing going on. but ive lived here my entire life. if i move to England, i'm pretty sure i'll still sound like the same east coast asshole i have always been.
yes but that's because you're not an empathetic person.

i'm joking, but not really.

edit: you see it very commonly with actors because, generally, actors are extremely self-conscious people. their entire modus operandi is about getting people to like them. so when they move somewhere, they tend to pick up the local accent very quickly because they are TRYING to fit in.

obviously there are a lot of people who do that same thing, we are a communal species. but actors specifically are some of the neediest people on the planet. they NEED people to like them

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yes but that's because you're not an empathetic person.

i'm joking, but not really.

edit: you see it very commonly with actors because, generally, actors are extremely self-conscious people. their entire modus operandi is about getting people to like them. so when they move somewhere, they tend to pick up the local accent very quickly because they are TRYING to fit in.

obviously there are a lot of people who do that same thing, we are a communal species. but actors specifically are some of the neediest people on the planet. they NEED people to like them
i got feelings, you asshole! :p
i get you , man, but you are just saying actors are full of shit fake people. and we can agree on that. its also funny we are having this discussion instead of about the actual TV show its happening in. i guess swallowing some Big Red bubble gum wasnt a big enough plot twist.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I was replying to the impossible to lose an accent part. I was pointing out people do it. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

and if your native language isn't originally a branch of a language who's accent you're trying to imitate, then it is IMPOSSIBLE. You could probably pick up a British accent as a native American, but good luck speaking Russian without an accent as an American, or vice versa.

Theyre switching accents on the same language (English), not on a different language (Lets say German which is in same family as English), let alone a language from an entirely different family (Such as Slavic)

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Theyre switching accents on the same language (English), not on a different language (Lets say German which is in same family as English), let alone a language from an entirely different family (Such as Slavic)
I'm American. All you fucking foreigners sound the same. What the fuck is this "different accent" shit? Foreign is foreign for Christ's sake.

Cybsled

Easy test: Sanrith, would you call sprite a pop, soda, or coke?

If he answers anything but soda, then he speaks English and Communist as languages

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Cool start, hopefully them calling this episode 1 & 2 doesn't mean they are all 30ish minutes and from here on out it's more like 60 per episode.