WandaVision

Cybsled

Second episode was too.

Pleasantville did this concept almost 20 years ago. Why they needed to drag this shit out is beyond me. Doing 2 episodes of "mocking 50's comedy series" is stupid. What a seriously dumb idea for your series that you probably spent an exorbitant amount of money on.

Pleasantville was just an allegory for racism/resistance to change and pointing out the hypocrisy of pining for the "good old days". They really aren't trying to do that here, so to speak. It seems like they are just trying to use different TV eras to represent the current state of her psyche.

So we know SWORD is in this. They're probably the good guys. The radio transmission in episode 2 suggests they are trying to reach her and figure out who is doing this to her, which suggests that while she is going along with this fantasy world, some organization or entity is basically pushing her into this? I've seen some people think it is AIM because of that beekeeper suit.

The commercials are interesting too. Episode 1 was a Stark commercial (Stark weapons caused her to lose her family), Episode 2 had a Strucker watch (as in Baron von Strucker, the HYDRA guy who experimented on her). I wonder if the 3rd episode will contain another commercial that ties to some manner of trauma or negative element in her life. Could speak to her compartmentalizing/separating the negative/painful elements of her life (they are banished to the commercials). The good stuff, the things she wants, gets put into her TV sitcom fantasy. But the sitcom era changes over time as she starts to remember more and the illusion begins to crumble, which gets reflected in sitcoms starting to deal with more serious topics as the decades roll on.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pleasantville was just an allegory for racism/resistance to change and pointing out the hypocrisy of pining for the "good old days". They really aren't trying to do that here, so to speak. It seems like they are just trying to use different TV eras to represent the current state of her psyche.

So we know SWORD is in this. They're probably the good guys. The radio transmission in episode 2 suggests they are trying to reach her and figure out who is doing this to her, which suggests that while she is going along with this fantasy world, some organization or entity is basically pushing her into this? I've seen some people think it is AIM because of that beekeeper suit.

The commercials are interesting too. Episode 1 was a Stark commercial (Stark weapons caused her to lose her family), Episode 2 had a Strucker watch (as in Baron von Strucker, the HYDRA guy who experimented on her). I wonder if the 3rd episode will contain another commercial that ties to some manner of trauma or negative element in her life. Could speak to her compartmentalizing/separating the negative/painful elements of her life (they are banished to the commercials). The good stuff, the things she wants, gets put into her TV sitcom fantasy. But the sitcom era changes over time as she starts to remember more and the illusion begins to crumble, which gets reflected in sitcoms starting to deal with more serious topics as the decades roll on.
So this is a whole bunch of comic book nerd shit that is your interpretation.

For people like myself or my wife who basically watched the movies (and we're probably the minority having watched them all), none of that is shown in the first two episodes. That's the complaint. You can't assume your audience has a bunch of knowledge from outside sources, that's called bad writing. They've done a piss poor job establishing what the fuck is going on.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>

For people like myself or my wife who basically watched the movies (and we're probably the minority having watched them all), none of that is shown in the first two episodes. That's the complaint. You can't assume your audience has a bunch of knowledge from outside sources, that's called bad writing. They've done a piss poor job establishing what the fuck is going on.
The big knock on this that I have seen from the review embargo lifting is that they should have just dumped most of it, if not at least the first three episodes at once. Apparently it totally starts paying off after what we have seen. And even being a comic nerd and extremely enjoying the first two episodes I can totally see your point. I do feel that they are counting on the audience to catch the somewhat subtle breakdowns that are happening in each of the first 2 episodes so far. In each one there have been moments where the characters seem to understand that they have no idea why they are where they are at that moment when Wanda gets distracted. They are definitely dancing on the edge with this one but it seems to have a huge potential to increase Wanda's powerset, and I think that is the point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Not really. There have been subtle hints in both episodes that things aren't what they seem. Actually they haven't even been subtle. They've been kinda blatant about it.

-Guy That Never Read Comic Books

Cybsled

Anything in the MCU is fair game. SWORD is the only element that has been barely introduced (they've hinted at it in other MCU things, but I dont think they've referred to it directly by name?). But watching a show like this w/o no MCU background is unlikely, lets be honest.

With the exception of that, almost everything being referenced in the show has been touched upon in the movies. The audience knows Vision is dead and none of this is right, and we know people are trying to figure out what is going on with Wanda (like that agent from Ant Man on the radio).

Anyways, I always reserve judgement on a series until the entire season lands. It's stupid otherwise to complain about story structure when you've only seen the opening chapters and don't have the rest of the context. If the full story arc eventually makes that opening seem out of place, then it's fair game to criticize it. Not every episode has to be some Red Wedding level mind fuck.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

basically, its a bunch of comic book nerd gymnastics to explain this horrible premise and tell you what dummies you are for not being in the know about all the comic book references. but at least they are moving the eras along. next week it looks like 1970s era. so maybe by episode 8 of the 9 25 minute epsiodes they will be done with them and we can start the show in present day!

• 1Garbage

flashr66

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone else think this could be the start of House of M?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Anyone else think could be the start of House of M?
It is based somewhat on House of M. This is their version of Wanda doing her alternate reality with Vision and her kids. I assume the kids will be real after all this. Meaning Speed and Wiccan could be the first MCU mutants. Besides the fact that Wanda and Quicksilver were probably also mutants but were never pointed out.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

They do help people notice the shit. The SWORD symbol on the helicopter? They made the helicopter red in a black and white scene to make it stand out. The watch? They zoom in on the Strucker and Hydra model info. Granted, people may not understand the SWORD symbol but we have this thing on our phones called the intar-web. Amazing what typing 4 words into a search box will get you...

1610808247375.png

• 1Seriously?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Probably the biggest gimme that this shit is all in her head (aside from Vision not being dead) or an alternate timestream is that her powers are just "Bewitched-like". Every use of her powers are described with her red sparkly shit around her hands. In this show she just snaps her fingers. To me it was obvious almost immediately. It is very reminiscent of the comic version of Phoenix and the Hellfire Club. Early on she was living in the reality they made in her head.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They do help people notice the shit. The SWORD symbol on the helicopter? They made the helicopter red in a black and white scene to make it stand out. The watch? They zoom in on the Strucker and Hydra model info. Granted, people may not understand the SWORD symbol but we have this thing on our phones called the intar-web. Amazing what typing 4 words into a search box will get you...

View attachment 329408
Call me old fashioned, but if you need to google stuff in order to understand the first episode of the first season of a brand new tv show, thats a failure on the show's end. Admittedly, i had to read all the books of Song of ice and fire to fully understand who all the characters of GoT were and their seperate houses, but i was still able follow the tv show even in the first few episodes because they gave as much exposition as possible.

• 5Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

My bet at this point is that it isn't someone "doing it" to her. It's that trying to mentally deal with Vison's murder by Thanos made her have a psychotic break, effectively letting her subconscious take over her powers (which of course it can use better). Which for someone with her powerset has obviously dangerous outcomes.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
My bet at this point is that it isn't someone "doing it" to her. It's that trying to mentally deal with Vison's murder by Thanos made her have a psychotic break, effectively letting her subconscious take over her powers (which of course it can use better). Which for someone with her powerset has obviously dangerous outcomes.
Yep. The reason SWORD thinks she is in trouble is because this is a new power manifestation for Wanda.

• 1Solidarity

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Call me old fashioned, but if you need to google stuff in order to understand the first episode of the first season of a brand new tv show, thats a failure on the show's end. Admittedly, i had to read all the books of Song of ice and fire to fully understand who all the characters of GoT were and their seperate houses, but i was still able follow the tv show even in the first few episodes because they gave as much exposition as possible.
You are old fashioned.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 5 users

Caliane

that stuff is going to get explained. they are just pointing out the forshadowing, which fans would recognize already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Anyone else think this could be the start of House of M?
... I mean.. obviously? its a mashup of The Visions, and House of M. But huge chucks of House of M, won't work in MCU. No mutants, no xmen, no Magneto connections to wanda/quicksilver. quicksilver is already dead etc... So it'll be massively rewritten.
Fake reality, "not real kids", wanda is responsible and goes nuts will be the likely core take away. Reverse House of M is of course a distinct possibility. "No, More mutants" to bring mutants into the MCU.

I'd be really surprised if Viv is not one of the kids here. bring her into MCU.