Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I saw a reddit post on being able to change characters personality, to experience the other voice acting, etc. And it occurs to me, the current system is a missed opportunity. to the point I wonder if it was changed at some point.

Canonically, Damnation t5 is probably the canon. So, any before that is more gameplay, not "reality". Second, every time you die. you die, and a new recruit takes your place. you aren't being knocked out, and captured. you die. and a different Operative is found and takes your place.

honestly, the game would be really cool if they leaned into that. Have RNG characters/names/personality... when they die. A new RNG character is spawned, and you play as that one, till it dies. (not class you pick the class. and gear is not reset. gear is just passed along to the new body)

It'd really set the atmosphere and meat grinder of it. Also, let you experience the different personalities more. I wonder if it wasn't originally like that. If that is why the backstories exist, and why there is so much customization. A pool for RNG player characters to all look unique, and have backstories to read... before they die and are replaced by new recruits.
I already don't really enjoy the dramatic departure from playing one of the Ubersreik Five even if it fits the 40K setting and while the meatgrinder idea would also fit the setting, inevitably some people will survive to become Acolytes, and perhaps progress even farther within the ranks of the Inquisitor's warband.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw a reddit post on being able to change characters personality, to experience the other voice acting, etc. And it occurs to me, the current system is a missed opportunity. to the point I wonder if it was changed at some point.

Canonically, Damnation t5 is probably the canon. So, any before that is more gameplay, not "reality". Second, every time you die. you die, and a new recruit takes your place. you aren't being knocked out, and captured. you die. and a different Operative is found and takes your place.

honestly, the game would be really cool if they leaned into that. Have RNG characters/names/personality... when they die. A new RNG character is spawned, and you play as that one, till it dies. (not class you pick the class. and gear is not reset. gear is just passed along to the new body)

It'd really set the atmosphere and meat grinder of it. Also, let you experience the different personalities more. I wonder if it wasn't originally like that. If that is why the backstories exist, and why there is so much customization. A pool for RNG player characters to all look unique, and have backstories to read... before they die and are replaced by new recruits.
Considering that the game has no real story / campaign, having a system as you describe would make a lot of sense.

Caliane

yeah. I can definitely see many people would have not loved the roguelike idea. Get attached and want their single character. But at the same time, again, lots of "just like VT2, and lfd".
complaints of not pushing the genre. I think that roguelike character gen would have been cool as heck.

Think like Rogue legacy, and the traits system too. so not only does your character die. but your new one, also has some new mod base talent. maybe even weaknesses. color blind, and shit.
People were talking how they'd do Winds of Chaos here. Again.. what if it was attached to your character?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
It's no roguelike but the game is pretty challenging on Damnation difficulty as it is. Even on Heresy, you could be screwed by a reckless teammate.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The "rich stories that can be told".... lol. That guy is playing a different Darktide than I have been. ;p

yeah, I don't get that either. This game is a satisfying combat simulator, that's it.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
The "rich stories that can be told".... lol. That guy is playing a different Darktide than I have been. ;p
There is a lot being told through conversation between us as players, and the named characters.

For instance Morrow is older than he looks. He fought in the 2nd War of Armageddon (941.M41-943.M41), and there is a 3rd War of Armegeddon (998.M41 to Present) happening currently and Darktide is taking place in the present 40k timeline.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a lot being told through conversation between us as players, and the named characters.

For instance Morrow is older than he looks. He fought in the 2nd War of Armageddon (941.M41-943.M41), and there is a 3rd War of Armegeddon (998.M41 to Present) happening currently and Darktide is taking place in the present 40k timeline.
I get that, I appreciate the lore based chatter. It could be that the premise of the game limits what can be done in regards to story telling -with- you the player.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I get that, I appreciate the lore based chatter. It could be that the premise of the game limits what can be done in regards to story telling -with- you the player.
For sure. Remember tho in the first few weeks (months) of v2, 9 out of 10 maps that I had a Kruber & a Kerillian going through the map, Kruber would bring up Bretonnia. Eventually that banter got phased out or push so far down the queue that it rarely came up and other conversation took place.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The setting isn't limiting shit, Fatshark is just entirely incompetent lol.

I'm amazed they even bothered with the existing "story" and those fuckawful cutscenes.

Caliane

yeah, theres alot of subtle shit. They bring up the rift.
and of course Cadia is destroyed.

"Darktide" is probably outright referring to the blackness?
so, the game probably is occurring during this?

one oddity is the Enforcers getting mentioned all the time. not even sure who they are. I think its referencing Necromunda Enforcers, which are a hiver gang. so, I think its a Hiver gang here on Atoma prime, Tertium. But not sure. Savant does seem to suggest they are some kind of unofficial police force, that work for the good of the people.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The setting isn't limiting shit, Fatshark is just entirely incompetent lol.

I'm amazed they even bothered with the existing "story" and those fuckawful cutscenes.

I don't get the bitching, I've seen games in much worse state that people fawn over from AAA devs. The combat in this game is satisfying as fuck and somehow doesn't feel repetitive like it did to me in V2. Sure it has some kinks to work out but I've had virtually no issues since the patch last week. As long as they keep adding content and classes I'll be very content.

One thing I have noticed is cash shops have brought on a whole new issue for devs and I think it's hilarious. Before your game had to be good and well polished, now you have to make sure your game AND your cash shop have to be well done. So they've effectively doubled their workload trying to make a quick buck. Most of the bitching I see about the game is how their skins have small flaws in them and people are negative reviewing the shit out of it on steam because of these non-gameplay related issues. It's truly astounding.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
yeah, theres alot of subtle shit. They bring up the rift.
and of course Cadia is destroyed.

"Darktide" is probably outright referring to the blackness?
so, the game probably is occurring during this?

one oddity is the Enforcers getting mentioned all the time. not even sure who they are. I think its referencing Necromunda Enforcers, which are a hiver gang. so, I think its a Hiver gang here on Atoma prime, Tertium. But not sure. Savant does seem to suggest they are some kind of unofficial police force, that work for the good of the people.
Full breakdown here:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Everytime I start to read 40K lore I get a headache. I find it interesting but so fucking narratively dense. There's just so much that its overwhelming.

Caliane

so, Atoma primes location is not previously established. So, I'm going to guess it is in the Dark Imperium side of things.

Storywise, I'd say there is a good chance this is a lost cause. Atoma prime is a Deamonworld in the making.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everytime I start to read 40K lore I get a headache. I find it interesting but so fucking narratively dense. There's just so much that its overwhelming.
Theres a couple streamers that I'd rather listen to than read it word for word. Because as exactly as you said, its just too much going on all at once. You think you have a grasp on the situation until you get to another part that says "BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!" and you realize that while you were reading about the Imperium cleansing this world of Chaos, that the fucking Tyranids are coming in the back door. Or basically, more bluntly saying that the emotional feeling changes from moment to moment in the lore ... which is also why so many people love it (imo.)

I'd recommend a couple different streamers, but its better if you just start with someone as opinionated as say.. Pancreas, and then jump around from there.

• 1Like