Warhammer 40k

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just getting started. Always loved the lore but never had the time to get into it. I have so many questions though:

Also lol I'm going into this without a lot of money; it actually works out because I have 2 kids and 2 jobs, but my primary job has me traveling around the country Mon-Fri. This means I only have 1-2 nights on weekends to assemble and paint. By the time I get the models done in a month or two, I'll have enough to buy something else to add.

1. Faction choice: I chose Imperial Guard for versatility? (I also like the aesthetics and lore; regular men and women holding the line in a galaxy full of horrors). I only bought the 10 Cadian shock troops to practice assembly/painting, but what else should I get to make a well-rounded army? (I was thinking Leman Russ, Heavy Weapons squad, more troops, then assassins). I want to get a 1000 point army that lets me have a shot at winning regardless of what army I'm facing (if possible).

2. The only place that is public right now is the GW store, which means no 3rd party minis. I figure I'll buy first party to start, network a bit, and then expand and buy cheaper 3rd party once I get to know other local groups that don't care. I estimate that by the time that happens I will be bitter towards GW about all the money they've taken from me, and will just buy a few token things here or there to support the local GW guy (he's a decent person), while secretly hoping his bosses get kidnapped by the Dark Eldar. (This is normal, right?).

3. Any other good ways to get 1st/3rd party stuff cheaper? I see a lot of bits on ebay. Are older armies affordable, or more expensive due to being out of production and hard to find?

4. Does the game really have wild swings of balance, or is most of the bitching from people that buy OP armies, or just aren't very good because they can't adapt (but I also get spending a lot of money on an army to have it get nerfed).

View attachment 390819
3d prints and recasts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I always had decent luck with Bartertown for used mini's or swapping minis / armies

it may take a bit to find the deals you want but sounds like you have the time to wait on there and you can get some good deals on used minis if you are patient, Bartertown doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was, but its not completely dead either

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
4. Does the game really have wild swings of balance, or is most of the bitching from people that buy OP armies, or just aren't very good because they can't adapt (but I also get spending a lot of money on an army to have it get nerfed).

Yes, yes, and yes

It's all of that, and more.

I'm tempted to suggest collecting not what's 'meta', but what appeals to you. Both from an art style, and lore-wise. But honestly, I think that this is the time-tested 'safe' suggestion. It doesn't necessarily represent how I feel about 40K or GW in general these days.

I could go on a really long rant at this point, but I'll just point out the new Tau changes (LOL @ Hammerheads) and how upset people are.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yes, yes, and yes

It's all of that, and more.

I'm tempted to suggest collecting not what's 'meta', but what appeals to you. Both from an art style, and lore-wise. But honestly, I think that this is the time-tested 'safe' suggestion. It doesn't necessarily represent how I feel about 40K or GW in general these days.

I could go on a really long rant at this point, but I'll just point out the new Tau changes (LOL @ Hammerheads) and how upset people are.
Yeah since posting I have been spending an absurd amount of time on the internet reading up on the meta and different lists. (I'm not being a meta player, just making sure I don't buy "trap" units that have little effective use.)

I also saw they leaked new patrol boxes yesterday, and they have a bunch of Tzaangors in the box for Thousand sons. Nevermind the fact they were recently nerfed and theres a limit to how many you can have in the army. I don't know what a tzaangor is or even what the rules are, but I can see it's an issue when nearly everyone is saying, "uh wtf" so I expect that'll be a thing that isnt going to change with GW.

I'm really just trying to collect enough to make an army well rounded. Basically with a limited budget I want a good mix of where I have at least a puncher's chance against most armies without having to change up in order to compete. I'm currently looking at a bunch of Guardsman, a couple of Leman Russ' (i will learn to magnetize the barrel and sponsons, no interest in magnetizing infantry right now lol), primaris and/or wyrdvane psykers, and some heavy quad launchers.

Basically I can handle everything to a degree. I expect to take lumps in the beginning but if I get better I can surprise a few people.

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
While "buy what looks cool" is a time tested piece of advice, I'd also suggest avoiding slow factions. Game has been won in the movement phase forever, so having speed/teleports built in is more likely to be a functional army on average. Guard's got double move, which is a great ability, and Tempestus Scions which are also solid.

Horde factions can also be kind of a trap, you spend all that time painting hundreds of boys then realize you don't actually enjoy setting them up and moving them around because it's a mild pain in the arse. If you can find someone to let you borrow one to try playing with for a game or two it might help.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm really just trying to collect enough to make an army well rounded. Basically with a limited budget I want a good mix of where I have at least a puncher's chance against most armies without having to change up in order to compete. I'm currently looking at a bunch of Guardsman, a couple of Leman Russ' (i will learn to magnetize the barrel and sponsons, no interest in magnetizing infantry right now lol), primaris and/or wyrdvane psykers, and some heavy quad launchers.

It's been a really long time since I was familiar with IG. I don't know if they're still as one dimensional as they used to be or not (I'm guessing they aren't, with the move to more objectives and less baseline fireteam camping)

I actually considered starting an IG army a few years ago, and doing it more like mechanized infantry and less...well...tank spam, I guess.

I liked the Valkyrie, and the Wyvern I think? (the bladestorm shrapnel hits or whatever the hell they were called),

But it looks like 2022 is going to be giving my Chaos Spikey Bois a lot of love, so I think I'm going to be busy starting that stuff up again.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Almost picked up an entire Ork army couple days ago, but I know I will never have time to play. I hope this is around when I am too old to do other stuff.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Old folks home gonna be a good time. Just watch out for the Alzheimer's patient shouting HORUS at you

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
It's been a really long time since I was familiar with IG. I don't know if they're still as one dimensional as they used to be or not (I'm guessing they aren't, with the move to more objectives and less baseline fireteam camping)

I actually considered starting an IG army a few years ago, and doing it more like mechanized infantry and less...well...tank spam, I guess.

I liked the Valkyrie, and the Wyvern I think? (the bladestorm shrapnel hits or whatever the hell they were called),

But it looks like 2022 is going to be giving my Chaos Spikey Bois a lot of love, so I think I'm going to be busy starting that stuff up again.

IG is actually near the bottom (38% win rate) but I plan on having fun and being creative. (I'm not playing in tournaments anyway). Death Guard and Thousand Sons are 54% and 52% respectively (I don't know if CSM/Chaos count as separate factions, but they're all underneath those two thus far).

Tallarn Leman Russ can move again after shooting with CP usage (Leman Russ have good firepower but can get wrecked easily; moving behind cover after firing will help I hope). Wyrdvane/Primaris psykers using shroud and other defensive abilities for survivability. A bunch of guardsmen screens sent out to die, drawing enemy units to the objective leaving them open to tank/quad launcher fire. The whole gamble is to throw guardsmen into the meat grinder and secure objectives, and hope you win via points before the enemy kills them all and starts coming for the tanks. I believe IG vehicles also have Objective Secure, which means you can get on the points with them.

Old folks home gonna be a good time. Just watch out for the Alzheimer's patient shouting HORUS at you
I'm going to keep this in the back of my head. It might be more fun to go teach and play with a bunch of grumpy Korean/Vietnam war vets bored out of their skulls than it is at a local game store. Probably get some good stories out of the deal too.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

IG is actually near the bottom (38% win rate) but I plan on having fun and being creative. (I'm not playing in tournaments anyway). Death Guard and Thousand Sons are 54% and 52% respectively (I don't know if CSM/Chaos count as separate factions, but they're all underneath those two thus far).

Tallarn Leman Russ can move again after shooting with CP usage (Leman Russ have good firepower but can get wrecked easily; moving behind cover after firing will help I hope). Wyrdvane/Primaris psykers using shroud and other defensive abilities for survivability. A bunch of guardsmen screens sent out to die, drawing enemy units to the objective leaving them open to tank/quad launcher fire. The whole gamble is to throw guardsmen into the meat grinder and secure objectives, and hope you win via points before the enemy kills them all and starts coming for the tanks. I believe IG vehicles also have Objective Secure, which means you can get on the points with them.

I'm going to keep this in the back of my head. It might be more fun to go teach and play with a bunch of grumpy Korean/Vietnam war vets bored out of their skulls than it is at a local game store. Probably get some good stories out of the deal too.

Yeah, its worth keeping in mind that at tournaments, people are building lists to be cheesy and win at all costs, not to have fun with friends or in a social group at a local store. Any army can win and sometimes the winning isn't important if you and your mates had a good time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, its worth keeping in mind that at tournaments, people are building lists to be cheesy and win at all costs, not to have fun with friends or in a social group at a local store. Any army can win and sometimes the winning isn't important if you and your mates had a good time.
Bingo those rules lawyers would look stupidfied at the store when everyone refused to play them. I remember when I first got into the game and the store owner let me win. I didn’t know that at the time but we had a great game and it got me hooked. I’d rules lawyer for tournaments but I turned that shit off against friends.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I agree. The most important thing for me is being a chill guy anyone wouldn't mind playing. (But it is nice to win too). I also know from playing D&D (mostly ending up as DM), how to deal with your "awkward" individuals.

Bingo those rules lawyers would look stupidfied at the store when everyone refused to play them. I remember when I first got into the game and the store owner let me win. I didn’t know that at the time but we had a great game and it got me hooked. I’d rules lawyer for tournaments but I turned that shit off against friends.

The playing/army is only half of my plan; the other half is getting my friends into it (I'm getting IG then Orkz for my first 2 armies. I like IG overall, and enjoy Orkz for aesthetics & comedy), networking, and being an ambassador to new players to build a local culture and a player base that actually has fun playing each other. If theres a new player I'd let them play IG + tanks; I would run a horde of Boyz and they'd likely win a shooting gallery (who doesnt enjoy blasting chunks of horde army units off the board!?)

I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on this hobby and end up in a town where the only people playing are rules lawyering neckbeards that have driven away all the people that just want to have a good time. And if that's the way it is, I'll try to change it. (I'll make my own 40k club, with blackjack and hookers!)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
(I don't know if CSM/Chaos count as separate factions, but they're all underneath those two thus far).

CSM would be a 'narrower' definition of lists, AFAIK. Same with Chaos Daemons, Chaos Knights, etc. If you only pulled units from Chaos Daemons, for example, you'd be classified as Chaos Daemons, but if you took a mostly daemons list but also took something from another codex, then you're no longer a 'focused' list per se, so you'd fall under the broader umbrella of 'Chaos'.

I'm also assuming this is basically the same as defining what a 'soup' army is.

That's something I'm kind of opposed to ever doing these days, so I'm not 100% sure if there's basis for this in different unit keywords (like CSM vs Daemons vs 'chaos' and so on) but I suspect there is (I'm also too lazy to rifle through anything right now).

I'm pretty supportive of people playing soup lists or mixing/matching units from different books to create the army they want to have...but when people make Soup lists just so they can min/max and be a jackass? That's just nonsense.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If loving Epidemius buffing Plagueburst Crawlers and Mortarion is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
“Tell them ruin has come to their world, death, despair and red war…
Tell them their hopes and pride have come to nothing.
Tell them their empty whispers fall upon deaf ears - their gods are dead, human logic has killed them.
Tell them the Angels of Death have come.
Tell them that nothing can save them now.”

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Meh. Spoiled by the quality of Astartes. My fingers are crossed there is a $100,000,000 budget lined up to make a 10/10 quality, animated series spanning dozens of hours of content over several years.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
They gotta do something about clarity of the voices in that project. Fuck man, the music overpowered it and the voices were too filtered.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users