Warhammer 40k

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Meh. Spoiled by the quality of Astartes. My fingers are crossed there is a $100,000,000 budget lined up to make a 10/10 quality, animated series spanning dozens of hours of content over several years.
An animated Netflix series called Militarum. Centered around an IG squad. Make Henry Caville an executive producer. Put it on the planet Vigilus (a hive world under siege by Orkz, genestealer cults, eldar, dark eldar, and Chaos).

Look at it as a good intro for people unfamiliar with the universe:

First couple of episodes are against the Orkz: "Okay so its futuristic but with space orcs. Also, they won the fight but everyone is still grim. This must just be a dark part of the setting because the whole planet is at war."

Next episodes are genestealer cults: "ok space orcs and a bunch of monsters disguised as humans too? This is kinda messed up."

Next episodes the Dark Eldar show up: "ok there's space orcs but also space elves and...what the fuck?"

In the final episodes Chaos shows up: "WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING WHAT THE HELL IS THIS UNIVERSE?!?"

The series ends with most of the squad dead, and the last two cornered and about to be torn apart by a host of hellish fiends, when the daemons explode in gore as they are ripped apart by bolter rounds. His Angels descend and drive the hordes back; there is a clear difference between normal humans fighting (which the audience has grown used to), and 7 foot tall genetically engineered super soldiers in power armor that plow through enemies that the squad struggled with, even as a cohesive unit.

The only "bright" spot is the inquisition rounding up the last 2 surviving members of the squad, and is ready to have them executed along with a bunch of other people for being exposed to Chaos. The chapter master intervenes, reminding the Inquisitor that Vigilus is a critical world, and reinforcements are scarce; anyone that is left must fight or the world will be lost.

The two survivors are re-issued lasguns, and are told they will be part of a counter-offensive in the morning. The last scene focuses on their faces, and fades to black as both of their expressions wordlessly reveal that they both wish they were already dead.

Now throw in a preview of the next series following some Space Marines (which a new audience only got to see a glimpse of in the finale), and you have a bunch of new people going down the rabbit hole.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Children's cartoon featuring nurglings and squigs

• 2Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, turns out the rumors were correct, no more sub-faction mixing in army building. Special exception for Chaos Allegiances so that Daemons continues to function until it gets its Codex rewrite.

Necron players gonna have to remember what Command Protocols do, again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Well, turns out the rumors were correct, no more sub-faction mixing in army building. Special exception for Chaos Allegiances so that Daemons continues to function until it gets its Codex rewrite.

Necron players gonna have to remember what Command Protocols do, again.
I can see why they did it, but it's a bit of a blow to several factions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
looking at the update from this book, GW continues to be trash at balance.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It feels like they try to "soft rotate" the units played by factions, except that's trash when you do it to mid-tier factions. "Hey, we nerfed the units you relied on to compete with the top armies average units. But don't worry, we upgraded your worst units to still being bad compared to those armies average units. Now you can play a new army!"

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I always wanted a movie centered on the inquisition doing horrifying things to its own citizenry and totally getting the audience to root for the underground resistance that opposes them. Until the final act when the resistance is fully revealed to be run by chaos cultists and the horror of the warp is unleashed killing most of the cast and triggering a planet wide cleansing event.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
1643552898802.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ordered the first 4 books of the Horus Heresy like a month ago, box finally arrives at the local GW, go to get it, there's no Book 1. So I have my books a month later... but not the one I need to read first. Quality.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Ordered the first 4 books of the Horus Heresy like a month ago, box finally arrives at the local GW, go to get it, there's no Book 1. So I have my books a month later... but not the one I need to read first. Quality.
I've just been doing the audiobooks which are been solid.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Not even sure what product this is trying to sell for Games-workshop but god damn do they have good lore.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is Horus Heresy a game different from 40k? Last time I played was 4th edition so out of the loop here.
Horus Heresy is a tweaked version of the 7th edition ruleset, making it more similar to 5th-7th era 40k than modern 40k; it still has a lot of the mechanics 8th edition streamlined away to attract new players, so it's kind of like a grognard retirement home.

• 2Like