Warhammer 40k

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm really looking forward to the exodite as well, who are also working officially with GW now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Shitty part is that he had to remove Astartes from his youtube channel, and now they uploaded a shitty version to their website.

Last edited:
  • 2Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't know that. I'm sure there are a fuckton of people that have reuploaded though. Still, thats annoying

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been... awhile, since I've played 40k; I think the last basic set that came out was Black Templars as the Space Marine army vs. Dark Eldar when I picked up pieces. This was years after I had traded away my entire Blood Angel army (2nd Edition woooo hey Mephiston brokeness) and Eldar armies for... shit it was the late 90s, I don't even remember. I think video games, because the shops around me all closed and all the other players drifted away.

I could probably still recall half the weapons' dice rolls, along with how OP certain combos were (warp spiders mercing light armor; having at least one plasma cannon in most tactical squads and always in every devastator, just to get rid of those asshole tanks) and how certain pieces of wargear were just nonsense when used properly (hi, vortex grenade.)

Did the game ever get more.. balanced? Like, could a melee army do well against a heavy ranged or was it still very "Everyone dies unless they have invuln saves, or are Mephiston" for the most part?

I want to say I stopped actively playing -right- when the Chaos book was released, and Abbadon was the new OP wtf character. Nobody we knew played Chaos actively, but there were tons of people rushing out to buy armies -just- because Space Marines had some broken ass heroes at that time. Eldar were... more manageable, minus the Avatar of Khane. I still think the Dark Reaper Exarch hero was the most broke thing ever, simply because he was a very heavy weapon that could move and fire. Literally just kite armies to death if they couldn't hit him, and all you needed was a conversion field to nip most of that in the bud minus bad luck.

I sound like an old person. Are Tau any good these days? I bought a 3k point army in the early 2ks to play with friends.... who then never spent any money and I couldn't find any players locally to save my life. Newerish area may have some better groups, so wondering if I should dust off and paint (still in original packaging, because everyone bitched out literally the day after I got my shit delivered) or if it's devolved into "whomever spends the most on current stuff, wins"

Vhars

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's been... awhile, since I've played 40k; I think the last basic set that came out was Black Templars as the Space Marine army vs. Dark Eldar when I picked up pieces. This was years after I had traded away my entire Blood Angel army (2nd Edition woooo hey Mephiston brokeness) and Eldar armies for... shit it was the late 90s, I don't even remember. I think video games, because the shops around me all closed and all the other players drifted away.

I could probably still recall half the weapons' dice rolls, along with how OP certain combos were (warp spiders mercing light armor; having at least one plasma cannon in most tactical squads and always in every devastator, just to get rid of those asshole tanks) and how certain pieces of wargear were just nonsense when used properly (hi, vortex grenade.)

Did the game ever get more.. balanced? Like, could a melee army do well against a heavy ranged or was it still very "Everyone dies unless they have invuln saves, or are Mephiston" for the most part?

I want to say I stopped actively playing -right- when the Chaos book was released, and Abbadon was the new OP wtf character. Nobody we knew played Chaos actively, but there were tons of people rushing out to buy armies -just- because Space Marines had some broken ass heroes at that time. Eldar were... more manageable, minus the Avatar of Khane. I still think the Dark Reaper Exarch hero was the most broke thing ever, simply because he was a very heavy weapon that could move and fire. Literally just kite armies to death if they couldn't hit him, and all you needed was a conversion field to nip most of that in the bud minus bad luck.

I sound like an old person. Are Tau any good these days? I bought a 3k point army in the early 2ks to play with friends.... who then never spent any money and I couldn't find any players locally to save my life. Newerish area may have some better groups, so wondering if I should dust off and paint (still in original packaging, because everyone bitched out literally the day after I got my shit delivered) or if it's devolved into "whomever spends the most on current stuff, wins"
The game is currently in 9th edition, it just hit last summer so most factions are currently waiting on new codexes for the time being, and GW is slow to get them out right now due to UK lockdowns.

The game is way more balanced than it has ever been I believe, apart from space marines just being all around strong and able to take on pretty much any army with no bad match ups.

Melee armies are very strong thanks to a few tweaks to the rules and new terrain rules making it a bit easier to get up the board without getting shot to pieces.

Tau went from being one of the top armies in 8th edition to being one of the weakest in 9th edition due to the focus of the game being objectives that you have to hold instead of sitting back and shooting your opponent off the table, most objectives being in the center of the board plus what I said above about melee and terrain means the Tau just aren't having a good time right now. Of course that could change for them when they get a new codex.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Space Marines are always going to be kind of "wtf" balanced, because they decided they were super maleable and you have melee heavy chapters and ranged chapters and then shit like the Frostwolves.

Does GW still put out leagues/etc? Or is that more shop based these days?

Edit - I'm legit curious; I have a few hundred in random minis for Tau I want to use and engage in but if it's just some guy in his attic determining what is legal, I'm less interested.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The tournament scene is moving more towards being GW run, they hired the folks who ran the largest tournament circuit and have been publishing official tournament rules and updating points cost for balance more frequently.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unfortunately they still balance based off their play testers who have certain biases.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
FB_IMG_1617377243529.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So gw had bought up a bunch of fan filmmakers. The end game is apparent now. They are releasing a warhammer plus that all the new mini films series will be on. I think they think they can create enough content monthly to be worth my time lol. I have like 2 of the people they granted i have any interest in but to be fair i hasn't seen some of the other content.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I assume they'll also post their twitch vods up there so I guess you could save a twitch sub if you went with it?

Not really interested in more subscription services.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure where to put this but this thread seems like the best place. Kill Team 2.0 trailer just dropped. First box set will be what looks like Ork Kommandos vs. Krieg.

As someone who is going pretty wide into Warcry and was eventually going to get to Kill Team, I'm rock hard right now.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A cinematic for a tabletop seems silly. Id rather info on why this should excite me vs previous kill team. Hell not even a trench shovel in sight. Prefer one of the recent fan films where they manage to down a chaos marine with heavy casualties and shoveling a cultist.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ork Commandos you can actually buy! Just in time for the new codex to probably nerf em

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Warcry is it me of my favorite games all time. I would go balls team on kill team if it was more like warcry.

• 1Weird Boner

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
This vid got me hyped for Death Korps. I wasn't really aware of them before, but I dig the WWI vibe. The orks look awesome too.

dkk.png
orks.png

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My body is ready for that Squig Rig to be unplayable garbage and I won't even care. I just want that on my shelf

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Warcry is it me of my favorite games all time. I would go balls team on kill team if it was more like warcry.

People have been going hard at enhancing book images from the preview they had last Saturday and by all accounts, the combat system is a little more complex variation of Warcry. You roll your attacks and count up hits, there appears to be a chance for the defender to make armor saves, and then each unit has a damage profile dealing X/Y damage on a hit/crit, taken off a hit point pool (7-10 wounds for some basic troops). There's also more of a Kill Team level of customization in weapon loadouts than in Warcry. Most of the 40k weapon profiles appear to be represented.

So yeah, I'm going balls deep too.