WarnerMedia launching HBO Max Spring 2020

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
cool a docu about George Carlin coming out in ~3 weeks

Just watched this. Its really interesting and goes in depth on his whole life. Highly recommend this if you have 4 hours to spare. Its a long one!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just watched this. Its really interesting and goes in depth on his whole life. Highly recommend this if you have 4 hours to spare. Its a long one!
Agree, watched it over the weekend. I had no idea he started out as a straight laced, clean cut comic who was making bank and then just chucked it all for the hippy shit. My first recollection of him as a kid was "class clown". I didnt know anything about him prior.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
HBO cancels their deal for this show with JJ Abrams

it was part of a $250m package deal HBO signed with JJA back in 2018 (!) and filming was supposed to start last month on this insanely expensive, $200m show but the new HBO chief has been cancelling expensive stuff.

I have a feeling this means we're gonna see a big belt tightening on streaming platforms, but I wonder if it also means they will realize most people don't give a shit about diversity, LGBT, etc and just want good stories with good actors. lol yeah right

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a feeling this means we're gonna see a big belt tightening on streaming platforms, but I wonder if it also means they will realize most people don't give a shit about diversity, LGBT, etc and just want good stories with good actors. lol yeah right
It feels like every show from HBO has this being forced in it so hard. I usually dont care but its just over the top now. Berry, The Baby, Hacks, Minx..

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It feels like every show from HBO has this being forced in it so hard. I usually dont care but its just over the top now. Berry, The Baby, Hacks, Minx..
I disagree with Hacks. The bi/gay/pan writer working with the old Boomer comedienne works. Yes is has woke shit but its supposed to so Boomer can make fun of it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
HBO cancels their deal for this show with JJ Abrams

it was part of a $250m package deal HBO signed with JJA back in 2018 (!) and filming was supposed to start last month on this insanely expensive, $200m show but the new HBO chief has been cancelling expensive stuff.

You realize those diversity actors work for pennies, right? If they really are going to tighten belts then expect to see more rainbow no-names.

• 1Picard

spronk

FPS noob
HBO taking lots of content of their service apparently to move to Discovery+, HBO documentary series being shrunk in favor of Discovery's division, lot of anime has been pulled due to crunchyroll taking it back. HBO saw Netflix subs start to shrink as they lose content and I guess thought "that can't happen to us, for the exact same reason!"

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
1 or 2 episodes out of this documentary on HBO Max

sounds vaguely interesting, about some rando anarchy cult group setting up some random thing in Acapulco. I vaguely remember the headlines of a dude getting shot in 2019 and they blamed the cartel but I think it was internal. I assume this 6 part documentary explores the whole thing.

gotta say some of these people sound like FOHers lol

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1 or 2 episodes out of this documentary on HBO Max

sounds vaguely interesting, about some rando anarchy cult group setting up some random thing in Acapulco. I vaguely remember the headlines of a dude getting shot in 2019 and they blamed the cartel but I think it was internal. I assume this 6 part documentary explores the whole thing.

gotta say some of these people sound like FOHers lol
Everyone's an anarchist until they get robbed, beaten, murdered by bigger and meaner anarchists and then they decide the benefits of society like the popo aint such a bad thing.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

whenever I think of streaming services I gotta sub to, Discovery is what comes to mind

maybe all of the leadership got monkeypox from gay orgies

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

whenever I think of streaming services I gotta sub to, Discovery is what comes to mind

maybe all of the leadership got monkeypox from gay orgies
Discovery the company actually has a large catalog of channels they own.

Cybsled

If that rumor is true (dumping scripted shows for "unscripted" shows), then good fucking bye to that service.

Reality TV is just scripted shows with a lower budget and shittier actors

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

Discovery has their quarterly financial results today and will talk more about strategy.

Insiders say basically the new boss wants to focus big budget stuff as theatrical releases, HBO as a service that plays those big releases after a theatrical window (45-60 days), and not spend crazy amounts of money on stuff that is exclusive to streaming. Reversing the strategy the past few years of becoming bigger than Netflix and Disney+ for home streaming, its now all about back to theatrical releases.

Not surprising given the melt down Netflix has been having but I think its really, really misreading the market badly thinking people are gonna go back to theaters for shitty movies. Yeah, we'll go for Top Gun Maverick and big movies but most people will prefer to watch stuff at home and shifting your content strategy to cheaper crappier stuff will just accelerate your service as one nobody wants anymore, like Netflix.

Disney+ and AppleTV seem the winner in all this.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I suspect also that original programs like Peacemaker and Harley Quinn get pirated because nerds who want content can do so and dump the service. FoodNetwork stuff is less pirated and the core audience less likely to pursue that option and therefore has retained a bigger percentage.