WarnerMedia launching HBO Max Spring 2020

spronk

FPS noob
yeah ive already seen spartacus and sopranos (and pretty much every 10/10 tv show), just you tend to remember the really good parts and rank the shows higher than they are. like I remember liking sopranos but i also remember the show REALLY started sucking around the time carmella went to italy and some fat gay gangster was the focus of the show. Will the show still hold up or will it be mostly trash? Honestly outside the iconic White Pines episode I don't remember too much about Sopranos.

dunno, but Rome definitely holds up and super rewatchable. DS9 I also rewatched this year and it holds up incredibly well, surprisingly TNG imo didn't hold up as well, there is a LOT of shitty episodes in the first 2 seasons. It really gets good after season 3 though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
yeah ive already seen spartacus and sopranos (and pretty much every 10/10 tv show), just you tend to remember the really good parts and rank the shows higher than they are. like I remember liking sopranos but i also remember the show REALLY started sucking around the time carmella went to italy and some fat gay gangster was the focus of the show. Will the show still hold up or will it be mostly trash? Honestly outside the iconic White Pines episode I don't remember too much about Sopranos.

dunno, but Rome definitely holds up and super rewatchable. DS9 I also rewatched this year and it holds up incredibly well, surprisingly TNG imo didn't hold up as well, there is a LOT of shitty episodes in the first 2 seasons. It really gets good after season 3 though.

I felt it was a steady decline after they whacked Jackie Junior.

They replaced Meadow's love interest with a show-wrecking generic bad actor that couldn't hold eyeballs or interest viewers at all. Have Meadow date someone else, but keep Jackie around as a foil for her love life made more sense. Keeping Jackie around for a storyline where he pops back up, or he comes back and quietly starts working for a capo again (as a respectful guy, no more douche routine, mature storyline, growing up, coming of age, quitting being a tryhard douchebag, becoming an adult, winning Tony's approval, turning his life around) would have been a better next season as a sideplot.

Jackie Junior was relatable in the sense he had a dislike for organized education, and that was his downfall. He may have been a dumbass-- but at the time there was a humanity in his predicament. It wasn't a bad arc. He was a viewer favorite for a reason.

There was literally no good story reason to whack Jackie Junior. And Chase admitted that. He waited until the final day of shooting that season until the final hour to film that scene, and he was iffy on even including it and waited in post-production to add it. The Jackie Junior whacking was something he was never 100% confident on, even though it was a side plot and irrelevant to the main story arcs. The actor had talked about that as well. The cast was pushing Chase to cancel the whacking (Jackie Junior was a good friend of Chris Moltisanti in real life), but he just didn't have anything else for him at the time. Pen was dry.

Last edited:

Cybsled

It made sense in the context of the episode and the series as a whole. He gets told this story about how the current bosses/leaders did some heist against some other mobsters when they were younger and they got respect out of it. He decides to do the same and they get executed. It kind of laid bare the hypocrisy and also how it was a completely different era now.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Paris.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Rome will always be rewatchable because it was an incredibly high production value period piece with excellent casting.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Relevant bit: "Warner Bros. Television wanted to extend Bennet’s option as they reworked the pilot, but scheduling conflicts forced her to exit instead. Casting for a new third Powerpuff Girl will begin in the fall."

Either do it or don't actors can't hang around twiddling thumbs forever.

spronk

FPS noob
wow, Life and Times of Tim is getting a prequel series on HBO Max

LTT was an animated HBO show that famously got a 0 rating for most of its 3 season run, literally nielsen declaring not a single person was watching it. I thought it was absolutely hilarious

spronk

FPS noob

new animated show about Velma, an asian high school chick (who will probably be a lesbian)

heres the kicker: Scooby Doo will not be part of the show LOL

new HBO CEO also has said he wants to prioritize theatrical releases and cut expensive TV shows that don't attract audiences so probably the dark times for HBO Max are coming soon. sadge

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is Mindy directing or the voice of Velma? Weird how they worded that, but she was Disgust from Inside Out and Taffyta from Wreck-It Ralph

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like Mindy but it doesnt matter whos making this show, it just wouldnt be for me. Could give 2 shits about Scooby Doo lol.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
she's the voice of velma. 40-something indian playing a teenage velma

Neither of those matter as a voice actress. Bart Simpson is a 10 year old boy who's been voiced by a 30-60 year old woman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users