Wasteland 3

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Is there a mod for respeccing yet? I was an idiot and fed skill books to a guy who has armor/weapon mod, before I realized you can create endless mules.

Speaking of, why isn't there any option to do this naturally? Especially when you can create endless characters.

You "respec" by deleting your character and just recruiting a new one with the stats/skills you want. They always recruit at your level, so you just have essentially endless respecs in additional to crafting slaves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You "respec" by deleting your character and just recruiting a new one with the stats/skills you want. They always recruit at your level, so you just have essentially endless respecs in additional to crafting slaves.
Once you're at the point where you can start using your skill books you have to commit to a permanent set of characters or else waste a huge amount of skill points.

Somebody made a post on r/wasteland about editing the save file, but it sounds like a pain in the ass.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Except I popped skill books to hit r10 on a character that has armor/weapon mod, before realizing you can create a mule for it.

So, I don't want to lose the skillups from the skillbook, but I want the points "wasted" in armor/weapon mod back.

Jozu

This game has taken over. I was playing CK3 for a bit but I haven't been able to put this down since I started playing. Wasteland 3 just feels like a better more fun game imo.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a mod for respeccing yet?

While what ronne ronne said is one solution, it has it's draw backs. Not only do you lose any skill book, removing any toon from the group, that has a follower attached, such as Maj. Tomcat or Polly, loses that follower, so I never went the remake and remove/delete route to respec.

So, someone made a little save editor program, which makes it fairly painless to change things around.

You need to have the toon(s) you want to edit in your active party, then save the game and open the save in the editor. I make a new save specifically for editing, in case something bugs out (which it hasn't, but I only use it for respecs). You can keep the game open, while editing, in order to get the proper costs of a refund. Just mouse over any unused skill, up to the level you need to refund, and you will see the total amount of points you will need to add, once you delete the skill. Dont forget to delete any perks (and abilities that come with it), from the skill you are refunding, and add those points back to the character. They are almost all named with the skill name in them, such as "PRK_SniperRifles_MarkTarget" (perk) or "ABL_AnimalWhisperer_TameAnimalCombat" (ability).

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't get why you faggots do everything possible to cheese the game lol.

Vorph

removing any toon from the group, that has a follower attached, such as Maj. Tomcat or Polly, loses that follower
Not sure about generic animals, but named ones like Tomcat don't disappear immediately. I originally thought animal buffs were party wide and had Tomcat following the wrong person, but removing that character and talking to him with someone else before leaving the area worked fine. Should be able to do the same thing if you're just remaking your character with Animal Whisperer. (And in Tomcat's case, you only need cigarettes to get him to follow and I wouldn't actually invest in AW on the character he's following until you have 2+ perk points you don't know what to do with.)

Personally I draw the line at save editing (unless it's to fix an actual bug) but I don't see anything wrong with using the recruiter dude as much as you want. They had to know exactly how it would be used when they decided to put it in the game. You can accomplish the same thing by following a guide written by someone who already knows how to build around the best mid-/late-game gear, what skills you need to hit all the important checks, etc. (like this one) and never have to swap anyone besides your weapon/armor modding mule, so what's the harm in a little trial and error + course correction, rather than feeling like you have a team of gimps and should start over?

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finished this morning - had a good time, but remain extremely confused by all the glowing reviews this got. Feels like to me, reviewers are so anti-GAAS or anti-AAA that any decent indie game gets hyped to the moon.

For me this was about a 7/10. Buggy as fuck, tons of frame rate drops, long load times and pretty thin gearing options (really disappointed by variety in loot, armor, mods especially); plus the game is not a looker.

I think my perspective would be different is this was a retail $30 kick-starter. I played it for a buck so zero complaints here but I'd be pissed if I paid $60 retail for this.

Playing this and Tony Hawk side by side, one retails for $40 but feels like a AAA $60 game, this retails for $60 but plays like a game with a very small budget and limited access to modern game building tools. It's a good game, but falls well short of being great like I was hoping after reading and watching reviews. Would love this game with a bigger budget, new engine and longer main story campaign.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If there wasn't an "unlimited" recruiter in the game, I'd agree with this. However, when an option like that exists, choosing to NOT also put in a character respec option seems extremely shortsighted.

Burns

Not sure about generic animals, but named ones like Tomcat don't disappear immediately. I originally thought animal buffs were party wide and had Tomcat following the wrong person, but removing that character and talking to him with someone else before leaving the area worked fine. Should be able to do the same thing if you're just remaking your character with Animal Whisperer. (And in Tomcat's case, you only need cigarettes to get him to follow and I wouldn't actually invest in AW on the character he's following until you have 2+ perk points you don't know what to do with.)

I only tried to replace the character that the disco healing robot was tied too. I shelved the Ranger, then I was unable to talk to it with anyone else, and it disappeared when I zoned. I looked it up, and there were numerous reports of it happening for the other followers/pets, so never tried anything else. Hopefully one of the patches fixed/changed it.

Vorph

I only tried to replace the character that the disco healing robot was tied too. I shelved the Ranger, then I was unable to talk to it with anyone else, and it disappeared when I zoned. I looked it up, and there were numerous reports of it happening for the other followers/pets, so never tried anything else. Hopefully one of the patches fixed/changed it.
Weird. You can definitely remove the character who has Major Tomcat, or even just dismiss him and he will wait wherever you left him. People say you can dismiss him at HQ and go do some exploring and he will still be there when you return, but I haven't wanted to risk that yet. There's some spots where you need to dismiss pets or else they will attack civilians and cause NPC companions to abandon you though, and I've successfully dismissed and then retrieved my pets in that case. Haven't tried any other pets since crit is the godking of stats in this game so cats are the only way to go imo.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea ultimately I don't think running 2 people with armor/weapon modding even really matters. I'm not on super jerk or whatever the final difficulty is, but the the second hard one and I haven't really felt super outclassed anywhere yet at level ~18.

The scaling of damage/armor does kinda feel off though. Even my "heavy" guy with like 45 armor and max str just gets oneshot constantly, especially by animals and other non-humans. Stuff like the thorn toads are just white hot death and you can't go anywhere near them cause they oneshot everyone in their party and can attack 2-3 times, it's ridiculous.

The only reasonable way to deal with enemy damage output is to either get the first turn and decimate them before they act, or spam animal companies/turrets/decoys etc to try and draw fire. I can't find any realistic way to scale strength/armor to a degree to be able to reasonable withstand any kind of fire, so I've mostly given up on that and am just maxing evasion on everyone so they sometimes can survive 1-2 attacks before they get hit and go down.

Burns

Weird. You can definitely remove the character who has Major Tomcat, or even just dismiss him and he will wait wherever you left him. People say you can dismiss him at HQ and go do some exploring and he will still be there when you return, but I haven't wanted to risk that yet. There's some spots where you need to dismiss pets or else they will attack civilians and cause NPC companions to abandon you though, and I've successfully dismissed and then retrieved my pets in that case. Haven't tried any other pets since crit is the godking of stats in this game so cats are the only way to go imo.

I haven't had a pet kill a civilian yet, but they get in the way of AoE so much, that I hardly used big guns, rockets, or grenades.

Imo, the best pets depend on the skills of the owner. The stag gives +20% to melee damage, the wolf/bear both AoE howl demoralize (to synergies with some skills) and the Razorback has a poison quill it shoots and a huge crit multiplier that hit harder than most of my characters until late game. Early game, they were difficult to keep alive, but late game, they all have over 5 times or more hp than my Rangers.

Jozu

I've managed to do quite well without save scumming or even using the squad switch option. As I meet new characters I might switch just to check them out, but other than that I've had a pretty good time with the first 6 I've encountered.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't had a pet kill a civilian yet, but they get in the way of AoE so much, that I hardly used big guns, rockets, or grenades.

Imo, the best pets depend on the skills of the owner. The stag gives +20% to melee damage, the wolf/bear both AoE howl demoralize (to synergies with some skills) and the Razorback has a poison quill it shoots and a huge crit multiplier that hit harder than most of my characters until late game. Early game, they were difficult to keep alive, but late game, they all have over 5 times or more hp than my Rangers.

Yea animal scaling is fucking ridiculous in this game. I've got a two-headed goat that has ~1200hp and basically oneshots anyone he gets in melee with and procs stuns on his hits. My melee guy in power armor isn't half as useful as that fucking goat is.

Vorph

Yea ultimately I don't think running 2 people with armor/weapon modding even really matters. I'm not on super jerk or whatever the final difficulty is, but the the second hard one and I haven't really felt super outclassed anywhere yet at level ~18.
L30 gets you enough skill points for 3 maxed skills, plus another at 8-ish, and some minor investments in skills great to have on most/all characters at a low rank (First Aid, Mechanics, Sniper Rifles, etc.), but every character needs a combat skill at 10 so effectively you get 2 non-combat skills to play around with. There's 16 total non-combat skills, so there's going to be at least 4 skills you can't max out across your whole party. Survival is shitty aside from the animal damage, and from what I understand Kiss Ass is pretty much useless, so those are no-brainers. Still leaves 2 things you can't take--and that's assuming you don't have multiple people with 9's in stuff like Weird Science or Animal Whisperer since they are important even when duplicated--so it really should be Weapon and Armor Modding that never leave HQ.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

The scaling of damage/armor does kinda feel off though. Even my "heavy" guy with like 45 armor and max str just gets oneshot constantly, especially by animals and other non-humans. Stuff like the thorn toads are just white hot death and you can't go anywhere near them cause they oneshot everyone in their party and can attack 2-3 times, it's ridiculous.

The only reasonable way to deal with enemy damage output is to either get the first turn and decimate them before they act, or spam animal companies/turrets/decoys etc to try and draw fire. I can't find any realistic way to scale strength/armor to a degree to be able to reasonable withstand any kind of fire, so I've mostly given up on that and am just maxing evasion on everyone so they sometimes can survive 1-2 attacks before they get hit and go down.

Yeah, I'm playing on the difficulty right before Super Jerk or whatever as well, so I'm sure I can finish the game just fine with a shitty character that has wasted points in armor/weapon mod. However, my OCD and min/max tendencies fuck with me every time I open his skill window and see the 4 levels in armor mod and 5 in weapon mod.

As far as armor scaling goes, stats around evasion (speed, I think?), the background that increases crit resist (Paladin, I think?), the +2 armor perk, and the quirk of Bop Bag has served me pretty well. I'm a little beyond mid-game (I think? I've solved one of the children quests) and I never question running him out front. It helps that I also gave him all the FA stuff, but there's never been a point where he has come close to dying by anything other than massive, sustained fire.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yeah, I'm playing on the difficulty right before Super Jerk or whatever as well, so I'm sure I can finish the game just fine with a shitty character that has wasted points in armor/weapon mod. However, my OCD and min/max tendencies fuck with me every time I open his skill window and see the 4 levels in armor mod and 5 in weapon mod.

As far as armor scaling goes, stats around evasion (speed, I think?), the background that increases crit resist (Paladin, I think?), the +2 armor perk, and the quirk of Bop Bag has served me pretty well. I'm a little beyond mid-game (I think? I've solved one of the children quests) and I never question running him out front. It helps that I also gave him all the FA stuff, but there's never been a point where he has come close to dying by anything other than massive, sustained fire.

Depends what you're fighting. Armor is balanced around gun penetration values from the feel of things, and sorta makes sense/works vs human opponents.

You can literally never survive getting melee attacked by drools/bears/porcupines/etc in the late gamethough. You can have ~60ish armor with a full power armor set and some mods/quirks and still get hit for 250+ on normal hits and like 600+ on crits. It gets so ridiculous I gave up even wearing armor and just traded out my entire team for a new team with death wish because armor meant nothing anyway, so I just took the 3 free AP and mass stacked evasion.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Finished it up this morning. Definitely worth playing if you enjoyed the last one, especially since it's on the Xbox pass thing for damn near free. Content-wise it's very well done, has some cool unique stories/factions, voice acting is well done, etc. It's definitely very rough around the edges though and was obviously released far sooner than it should have been in terms of QA, but that isn't really surprising given the previous delays as I'm sure they were just up against a wall financially. None of it's really game-breaking though, just minor annoyances like load times, certain items in your inventory not showing up on any filter tabs, barter randomly making you infinite money, skill books being infinite-use in some situations, infinitely farmable scorpitron encounters, that kind of junk.

The balance is...strange, but it sorta works anyway. The way they scale every non-human enemy in the game is complete nonsense, so fights with toads or ghouls or whatever turn in to a weird puzzle to solve because everything that touches you is death. The story fights and most of the other human battles are pretty cool though, and you can build some really monstrous, albeit glass-cannon, characters. Flame throwers are so hilariously OP once you mod them and stack a bit of weird science that it's honestly kind of ridiculous. 180 degree cones with a range of the entire screen kind of ridiculous. Brawling is pretty insane too if you stack up charisma to turbo charge your strike meter, cause once you get 10 brawling and attacks cost 1AP you can fire off the big AE stun strike like 3-4 times per turn and just perma-CC half of every battle. Snipers remain good throughout, but their weapon progression is odd because of one of the mid-game rifles having a special ability that is like +70% crit chance and some -%accuracy. Crit scales in such a way that this thing is better than every other sniper rifle that comes after it because ~100% crit just oneshots basically everything in the game, including scorpitrons. Minigun is I think the most raw single target damage you can build, but you have to find one of the mods that converts it to fire damage so you can abuse the absurd amount of +fire damage that exists in skills/perks.