Wasteland 3

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Did we ever find an answer on this? Making my chars now and trying to decide if 10 in a stat is worth it. Also, what's the max you should put into a skill due to skill books?
I can answer that: some skills at 10 help you cheese several difficult fights, especially at the end: Hard ass, Kiss ass, Nerd Stuff. Lock pick is a must, disarm traps helps a lot. Also your main weapon skill should be 10. Some perks rank 10 are not as amazing as they sound on paper. Also the weapons are super imbalanced. E.g. endgame if you have enough coin and ammo, sniper rifles can oneround even tanks, small arms are almost useless because of the 3 square range. You will not find a lot of weapon and armor mods especially the real good ones. Rockets make a huge mess, a lot of fights are in closed space. Pets are kick ass, they do a lot of damage, can be replaced everywhere and are super nice taunts/distractors.

25 hours and this game was released less than 2 days ago. Now that's commitment.

Played 8 hours first day and 18 on the next. This game can be finished in 7,8 hours if you know what your doing, seriously. Maybe not on "supreme jerk", of course.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Irv clone battle was particularly stupidly balanced for its level, as one example

rofl

because you're actually supposed to sneak into the room and instakill the clones using the cloning device. Sneaky shit 4 to disable the alarm wire and then i think nerd stuff 4 or 5 at the cloning device.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I get that is the skill method, but that requires ridiculous optimization and frankly knowing whats coming in the game in advance. There are too many skills to have them at 4 in most cases, even with a full party and knowing what the two mandatory schlub NPCs are likely to have. And if you blow any of it, its basically a mandatory reload due to (credit to Yatzee) a Cascade Fuckup situation. I get that a fight with those guys if you lack the gatekeeper skills should be hard, but the stats on those guys for a level four quest was just ridiculous. The thing was designed around people exploiting the game, rather than what a balanced party not rules raping the system might be like. And its not the only one like that in the first areas. Pretty much everything in the first main quest causes bleeding left and right. And the first few fights would be ball busting without the KS backer weapons to abuse.

And lets be clear, I love the game (and all in the series). Its just eye rolling tiresome to always have your guys stand up out of cover at the start of every fight while always squaring off against enemies that have long range, cover, and spam bleed status constantly. There is also the tiresome habit Tactics like RPGs have of hit % in reality meaning ten percent chance to hit for every 1% over 90 the interface says and forget about ever trying anything less than 80% chance to hit. WL2 did some of that, but not as bad as this game so far. And he bleeding spam is especially egregious because their cancerous interface pretty much means you are fumbling after a fight trying to get a suture into the limited gear slots and apply it before the fully armored guy who barely got scratched bleeds out, because there is no pause in MP mode while you are in menus. Some of this may also be MP specific, to be fair.

What is good is the look of the game, the voice acting, and the change of desert for winter. The weapon and gear variety is decent, even at early levels. The shared inventory is amazingly better than WL2, even if the equip part of it is somewhat janky. And as the only tactics game with MP other than the Divinity Series, it gets major kudos for that. Finally, their agro mechanics in this game actually make sense with the AI making sensible target priority choices instead of focus fire on the sniper a mile away while all the close range guys rush in. That last bit threw me off as WL2 had me so conditioned to it I built my sniper to be able to wear heavy armor.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I started this and refunded. Was not interested in playing xcom... felt like that does it stay so scripted?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, I went into the Irv clone thing totally unaware, and maybe being party level of around 5 made a difference, but all I did was:

Open the door, see people wandering around with small detection radii. See there is a turret in the corner, so my person with heavy weapons opens the fight by one-shotting the turret. Mass fire on one clone, take him out first round. Get half my party shrunk. Second round almost kill another clone, but he heals all the way up. Third round, blow up a nitro barrel near one, kill him. Last round, kill the final clone. Only the pistol chick from the Hundred Families took any real damage, outside of getting shrunk.

For reference, my main party is sniper, heavy weapons, assault rifle, melee, then the two companions (Kwon and that pistol chick). Weapons and armor aren't anything special, or upgraded at all. And I've got Major Tom and a fox (extra leader radius) for pets. Might have been a cyborg chicken too. And none of my skills are min/max'd either. Most weapon skills are probably 4 or 5 at most. Oh, and the melee character hardly ever does shit, but I feel like I should have one, you know?

Playing on default (Wastelander?) difficulty, so no friendly fire. Even though I don't really ever friendly fire anyway. Fight was pretty easy for me, but maybe picking the lock to get in made a difference or something? No alarm went off, no turret shooting me, etc. I walked halfway into the room and no one noticed me at all.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Irv quest really illustrates one of the most annoying design flaws of the game, absolutely no way to tell when you can do sneaky stuff in an encounter or if you'll just be autodetected.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just did the irv quest this morning... didn't have any idea it was coming up and had no problem sneaking around it. the reason NOT to just max a skill to 10 right away is so that you can be a bit more balanced at earlier levels. when i did that, i had all the skills covered up to 5 or 6, except for the modding skills and animal companion.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh, and the melee character hardly ever does shit, but I feel like I should have one, you know?
Melee is fairly meh at the start, and by all indications is vastly outclassed by Brawling (due to the rank 10 perk that reduces cost to 1AP). I had intended to get a brawler later on by recruiting another new custom dude once my party level was high enough and I had the Brawling skill book to get to rank 10 immediately, but there's a NPC companion you're practically required to use late- through end-game so there's really no point making your own.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
1598964083825.png

• 2Tiresome
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm about 20 hours into this and not even close to done but have a few thoughts

This game is pretty close to 9/10 territory, but falls short of that for several reasons. Load times. Fucking load times..... It's enough to make me not want to play as much as I otherwise would want to - you change area's fairly often and everytime you zone (super noticeable in cities where you're in and out of buildings for quests) it's a solid 60 seconds - this is game is on one of the fastest drives on the market and it's still baffling how slow it is. I can't imagine this on a normal SSD or (shudder) old HD.

Also there is a ton of jank, and a ton of bugs to contend with. One of my pre-built characters (my lockpicker and general badass assault rifle girl) completely lost all of her skill points when I switched her out for my weapon/armor modding mule at base. When she got back in my party, she had no skills and -37 skill points to assign. Not game breaking as I just fired up another one, but annoying.

Doesn't seem very well optimized either - lots of stuttering, pretty poor menu/ui etc. Graphics as well are very bleh to me for a game in 2020, that it has the optimization/stuttering is flat out unacceptable for a game that visually, looks so mediocre.

I'm having a great time regardless and for $1 gamepass sub this month, I'm over the moon but this doesn't feel like a $60 game to me. It certainly isn't a 9/10; 10/10 or whatever I keep seeing on all these reviews. It feels and plays like a very well done kickstarter game for $30.

I love these XCOM/BG/CRPG games, but I would like one - just fucking ONE to release and not be janky, ugly and have dogshit ui's.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Not sure what's different about my system but my load times are rarely above 20 seconds and if I hadn't heard ACG mention it in his review I probably wouldn't even notice the slight lag changing tabs in the menus. My biggest technical complaint is that I remember playing WL2 just fine with a gamepad and when I tried it here it's just infuriatingly clunky. I'm not at home enough these days to make as much progress as I'd like, and was considering packing up the X1X and taking it with me, but between the gamepad controls and what I've heard about constant crashing and godawful performance on consoles... that's a hard no.

It's definitely not the prettiest game though (I feel like WL2 even looked better at times) and Unity engine is always full of jank.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My load times are right around 30 seconds for most things. SSD, obviously.

I've not encountered much in the way of lag either. The most annoying thing is whenever it is loading it sort of flickers my desktop icons and task bar. Even after a reboot, so it isn't that shit that sometimes happens when I've left my computer on too long.

Oh, I did notice one annoying bug too. If you have something equipped that gives you extra hps, or the quirk that gives it, every time you zone you lose that amount...but then your max hps recovers, so now you have a gap. Like, without the item you have 100 CON. With it you have 120. When you are full and then zone, after the zone you'll now show 100/120. Sort of makes those things less useful because I'm not going to waste a heal on it, especially since I might not even fight before the next zone.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I also feel like this game is way over-rated. I've played about 7-10 hours and give it a 7 max. The underlying systems are fine but the game is ugly, janky, buggy, and pretty badly balanced - especially when it comes to skill checks. Most of the maps I've encountered are terribly uninspired - basically, a corridor full of enemies and 1-2 obvious "secret" ways around them where you can disarm some turrets or otherwise cause fuckery. Even though the play-style has the presentation of choice, you basically need (at least on moderate difficulty) to go back and min-max your guys so they fit the play-style the game wants. Like, if you don't have sneak and mechanics on the same character what's the point basically? I've also found too many specific actions tied to skills that feel forced and drill out a lot of optionality - explosives for mines, lockpick for safes, mechanics for turrets, etc. To me it basically feels like what I'd be expecting from a first-gen kickstarter title based on a previous series - not the third iteration backed now by a major force in MS.

Probably the only thing keeping me invested is the great character backgrounds and NPCs. I think this is one of my favorite "parties" I've created in a long time. I've been roleplaying responses based on my characters fucked up origins and quirks and it has been a lot of fun.

Tactically, this game has nothing on XCOM and for me at least has been even less tactical than Gears Tactics.

It is basically a solid Gamepass game and that's about it.

P.S. Those Kotaku folks have really gone full retard with their social commentary on every godamned game in existence. I find that site unreadable now.

Vorph

I think what it basically comes down to is that WL3 is just as much in need of a DC version as vanilla WL2 and Bard's Tale 4 were. At this point I just expect it from everything inXile does.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I LOVE that inExile is single-handedly trying to revive old-school Fallout (yes, I know the history of Wasteland and Interplay). But, this game is definitely rough around the edges. It's amazing value for a Game Pass game and I'd easily drop $20-$30 on a game of similar quality. But $60? No fucking way. Then again, this holds true for almost the entire gaming industry now.

Either play it on Game Pass or wait for a heavy discount (and the added bonus of fixes). 7.5/10.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm happy with the $20 I spent on it...holy shit, 4 fucking years ago according to the first post in this thread! I certainly never would have spent $60 on it even if you guys had raved about it, because I end up never finishing these fucking games. Particularly when I think that yeah, a DC or GotY edition is likely coming out eventually. Because if I ever do finish a game like this, I'm never ever going to actually replay it. DLC's that add to the start of a game also piss me off for that same reason. If a DLC doesn't come out until after the game releases, it should add on to the end of a game, not force you to replay it to experience it.

• 2Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Sounds like it will be perfect after a few patches, like WL2 was. Better to just wait another month or two.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This game is so much better on my PC over Xbox One X. Load times are non existent on my M.2. Initial load time is about 4-5 seconds. Everything is super fast - max settings, etc.

But holy hannah PC is so much better with controls. I am zipping around much easier and able to speed up my gaming session with that alone by 600%.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The game runs like absolute dogshit for me after an hour or two of playing. However, I'm also still rocking a 1060.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't really mind the technical failings of it. the load times are long but my system is outdated so i expect that.

honestly the biggest part that bothers me is that i made a group of characters that work really well together, but the 2 companions are starting to screw everything up. i'm GOING to lose at least one of them, and finding replacements is just... really messing up the whole party. i think i'm gonna end up just having to make a whole new group of rangers just to match the companions. i know it's easy to make new rangers, but i got attached to them. a mod needs to drop that allows you to reset companion skills.