Watches

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I see Movado mentioned a few times in the thread here but not a ton of discussion about quality. I know it's a popular brand. Is there any real reason to not go that route. I don't know much about watches but I find I'm at a point where I'm dressing up enough that I wouldn't mind having something on my wrist for special occasions.

It's really easy for me to buy something from Von Maur which is only reason I bring up Movado since it seems like that's their one luxury brand. Doing a little reading it seems like for the money i might want to look at something else?

Say you have ~1000 budget for a first "nice" watch, what brands are you targeting?

Siliconemelons

I see Movado mentioned a few times in the thread here but not a ton of discussion about quality. I know it's a popular brand. Is there any real reason to not go that route. I don't know much about watches but I find I'm at a point where I'm dressing up enough that I wouldn't mind having something on my wrist for special occasions.

It's really easy for me to buy something from Von Maur which is only reason I bring up Movado since it seems like that's their one luxury brand. Doing a little reading it seems like for the money i might want to look at something else?

Say you have ~1000 budget for a first "nice" watch, what brands are you targeting?
I love Movado, but I like its style- many consider it an intro lux brand watch, yet almost everyone that likes to collect or whatever watches has a Movado Museum piece, be it leather or bracelet band, it really is a nice anything goes dress watch. They are swiss and good quality but I am sure there are tons of more in depth reviews across the net.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of people online seem to be turned off by the fact that it's a highish (but not outlandish?) price to pay for a quartz watch. I'm not really sure what the correct perspective is here. My assumption would be that I'd want to spend quite a bit more than 800-1k if I was in the market for a nice mechanical.

I do have a Rolex coming my way at some point in the future, but that thing is gold and I can't imagine myself ever actually wearing it. This first purchase is more along the lines of something i'd throw on whenever I'm wearing a sport coat.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm

Raymond Weil
Frederique Constant
Hamilton
Seiko

Or up your budget a tad and get a secondhand:

Rolex datejust
Omega Speedy pro

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Or up your budget a tad and get a secondhand:

Rolex datejust
Omega Speedy pro
Agree with this. I have a vintage datejust, two-tone stainless steel and gold on the jubilee bracelet (ref 16013) that I picked up because it was manufactured in the same year as my birth. You can find a good condition vintage datejust with box and papers for around $2800-$3500. I also have a ref 145.012 speedmaster pro with the cal 321 movement. A cal 321 speedmaster will run you $4000-$5000 depending on condition and whether or not it has the original bracelet. You can, however, get a cal 861 speedmaster for between $2500-$3000 depending on condition/box/papers. The speedmaster pro is more of a sport watch but on a leather strap it dresses up well.

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Turned 40 today. Got the TAG for my birthday.

IMG_0685.JPG

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
Why is Seiko only really respected among watch enthusiasts? I'm a fan but anyone that sees a Seiko instantly thinks shit tier. Unless it says TAG or Rolex people just don't respect it. Same kind of goes for Omega.

I'm personally looking into buying an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (used).

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Why is Seiko only really respected among watch enthusiasts? I'm a fan but anyone that sees a Seiko instantly thinks shit tier. Unless it says TAG or Rolex people just don't respect it. Same kind of goes for Omega.

I'm personally looking into buying an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (used).

Because those brands - much like Movado - offer "cheaper" levels of their product, in name and in aux brands of the company.

Its like saying "fuck that GT-R, its a /nissan/ lolz - Sentra lover"

Seiko are damn nice and damn good watches - but because they have a big "range" in prices - not all of them are instantly a show piece to say $$$$$$ on mah wrist yo.

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep. Ive had that Seiko something like 15-18 years. It has never been in the shop once, go months without wearing it. Give it a couple days use and it will hold a charge for a month. The Tudor on the other hand fucking dies after a day if i dont wear it or wind it every day.

Not only is it literally over 6x cheaper than the Tudor, its still one on the nicest watches I've worn without having to be rich

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
richardmille.jpg

Just picked up Mille timex off ebay. Looks pretty neat and only cost $80.

Will take a picture when It arrives.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Got into the watch craze the past week or so. Pretty much spent all my free time looking at pictures of watches and gathering some knowledge (and crying at some of the prices).

The nicest one I've seen so far is this Omega that's up for sale at 2750$ on reddit.com/r/watchexchange

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That's a lovely watch - I've had 3 Omega's (2 speedy pro's and a seamaster which I currently have and wear every other day). Great watches and mostly keep excellent time. They seem to hold their value relatively well.

kudos

<Banned>
Got into the watch craze the past week or so. Pretty much spent all my free time looking at pictures of watches and gathering some knowledge (and crying at some of the prices).

The nicest one I've seen so far is this Omega that's up for sale at 2750$ on reddit.com/r/watchexchange

Please tell me this is an automatic. What a great looking watch.