Watches

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
found another "I'll suck a dick for it" watch. Omega makes the most gorgeous watches I've seen so far (even nicer than things that cost 10X like Patek's and shit).

gpst04.jpg

context : Omega Aqua Terra GMT Goodplanet LTD On Strap Ref. 231.92.43.22.04.001 BNIB CLEARANCE! - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

edit : as for more accessible watches, I really like the looks on this one

Garmin Vivomove Classic Black w/ Leather Band

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I posted about this company in the Men's Fashion thread as I forgot this thread existed and wasn't arsed to search.
Have any of you watch aficionados seen these watches or purchased from this company? One of my nephews is my god son and I am super close to him (he is, like me, a second born, he had cancer when he was 3 and is now 25, I am his go-to aunt for miscellaneous life things.) He is a VERY fashion minded but quality product loving young man. He is soon to be engaged and I thought that giving him a watch (you know - to represent the passage of time, to note that love takes time - to hope that each second he appreciates his beloved - sappy crap like that) would be a nice gift. Handcrafted Wood Watches
I like the looks of these time pieces and most of them are relatively affordable.

Thoughts?

Siliconemelons

I posted about this company in the Men's Fashion thread as I forgot this thread existed and wasn't arsed to search.
Have any of you watch aficionados seen these watches or purchased from this company? One of my nephews is my god son and I am super close to him (he is, like me, a second born, he had cancer when he was 3 and is now 25, I am his go-to aunt for miscellaneous life things.) He is a VERY fashion minded but quality product loving young man. He is soon to be engaged and I thought that giving him a watch (you know - to represent the passage of time, to note that love takes time - to hope that each second he appreciates his beloved - sappy crap like that) would be a nice gift. Handcrafted Wood Watches
I like the looks of these time pieces and most of them are relatively affordable.

Thoughts?

My dad does woodworking and I got him a wooden watch for his birthday, it was "full" wood - it looked really nice and was very light - I did look at Original Grain - they are a bit more expensive than the one I got my dad - and they have high reviews etc. while I was researching wooden watches. I will say, it looked better in person than in any picture - real wood grain is 3d and pictures generally do not do it justice.

Of OG watches the barrel - The Brewmaster one was my favorite with the wood face and metal wood links.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
My dad does woodworking and I got him a wooden watch for his birthday, it was "full" wood - it looked really nice and was very light - I did look at Original Grain - they are a bit more expensive than the one I got my dad - and they have high reviews etc. while I was researching wooden watches. I will say, it looked better in person than in any picture - real wood grain is 3d and pictures generally do not do it justice.

Of OG watches the barrel - The Brewmaster one was my favorite with the wood face and metal wood links.
Big fan of sturhing original watched

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Just my cheapo Citizen's, I love my manual winder though, so happy I found it and I think I got a good deal on it as well.

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

Citizen Manual Wind backplate (4).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
We have a watch thread?!

Honestly watch talk is only fun with other watch people and I don't think we have any around here.

I need a new one

But I'm going to be slumming it at like 500$

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I need a new one

But I'm going to be slumming it at like 500$
Tbh I'd go with cheap, reliable and good looking if it's not an automatic. Don't pay a premium for a name unless it's automatic or if the quality is worth it.. Like I would never buy a quartz omega. You're just paying for the brand name and I guess hoping it will impress people? People rarely notice watches unless they're watch people or if it's like a ceramic bezel Rolex that shines so brightly.

Paying 1k for a watch with a pcb in it is dumb I guess is what I'm saying.

I'd also advise looking for used, maybe you could get a used auto for that much? Check watchuseek forums.

I think to appreciate mechanical watched you have to appreciate the engineering behind them you know?

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also note that with mechanical they need to be serviced so that comes with a premium versus just changing a battery. Service price depends on brand and also number of complications (does show date? Does it show day? Etc). Max complications I'd go are date.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I've became a big fan of the Seiko 7A series. They were the first analog quartz chronograph on the market back in the '80s.

Here's some of my favourites.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I've became a big fan of the Seiko 7A series. They were the first analog quartz chronograph on the market back in the '80s.

Here's some of my favourites.

That poljot is so damn cool in so many ways. Not only did the dial and band catch my attention but it's a poljot with made in ussr on it! Do want. Is that yours?

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
106237737-1573491649442pp_6300a_010_det-14092.jpg

Sold at auction for only 31 million.
Sexy. The attention to detail is just amazing.

Can't imagine the service cost on that with so many complications. I'm not sure any of patek's 4 service centers in the u.s.a. could even service the complication in house. They may have to send a watch like that back to Switzerland.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yup, it's my only dress watch. Got it for about 25$ from the flea market a while back. That was the only 18mm strap I had around but they're a perfect match. 35-36mm handwind, no quick-set for the date, runs +3 / day last time I checked.

I bought some watchmaker tools and ordered a few crystals to play around with some shitty watches and if it all goes OK I wanna start doing some basic maintenance to them as in crystal change, take movement out, clean case and if I get the courage, some movement swaps (got a lot of Seiko Quartz watches and 7TXX that some look like shit with a working movement and some look amazing but have various problems).

Here's another cool one from the flea market, a LNIB Casio Marlin that I got for 3$. Pretty much the heaviest watch in my collection (full stainless steel case).
Also got a G-Shock because everyone should have a G-Shock in their collection and I love this one because it symmetrical and looks like an angry dude.

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Yeah Patek Phillipes' watches are fucking nuts, like the Astronmia line, of Patek. One day I will get my hand on a one. To be honest though I am happy with my Citizen with Sapphire Crystal, I have to have Sapphire Crystal face or I will scratch the hell out of a watch face. So I make sure I am not as clumsy on the days I wear it. Watches are a fashion but I just love items that tell the time and the engineering that goes into making a beautiful watch.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yup, it's my only dress watch. Got it for about 25$ from the flea market a while back. That was the only 18mm strap I had around but they're a perfect match. 35-36mm handwind, no quick-set for the date, runs +3 / day last time I checked.

I bought some watchmaker tools and ordered a few crystals to play around with some shitty watches and if it all goes OK I wanna start doing some basic maintenance to them as in crystal change, take movement out, clean case and if I get the courage, some movement swaps (got a lot of Seiko Quartz watches and 7TXX that some look like shit with a working movement and some look amazing but have various problems).

Here's another cool one from the flea market, a LNIB Casio Marlin that I got for 3$. Pretty much the heaviest watch in my collection (full stainless steel case).
Also got a G-Shock because everyone should have a G-Shock in their collection and I love this one because it symmetrical and looks like an angry dude.

That's awesome on the poljot. I actually want to find that exact watch now. Pretty damn cool, what a steal at $25.

Watchmaking is pretty awesome. Would be a cool hobby to pickup. Seems like there's fewer and fewer master watchmakers. Today's automatic movements are amazing pieces of engineering and craftsmanship.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah Patek Phillipes' watches are fucking nuts, like the Astronmia line, of Patek. One day I will get my hand on a one. To be honest though I am happy with my Citizen with Sapphire Crystal, I have to have Sapphire Crystal face or I will scratch the hell out of a watch face. So I make sure I am not as clumsy on the days I wear it. Watches are a fashion but I just love items that tell the time and the engineering that goes into making a beautiful watch.
I like Patek's grand complications and complications collections. Mixed feelings about the nautilus, the style just isn't as classic. The newer calatrava's I'm not a huge fan of. I have the first calatrava from 1989, originally called the "officers watch", see pic.

Citizens are good watches. Sapphire crystal is dope. Honestly regardless of any watch I'd buy, the glass and bezel material would be my selling point. As I'm sure you can attest it's nice not having to worry about scratches. I've hit my Rolex ceramic bezel sub on metal, even dropped it face down on concrete, no scratches. My omega AT on the other hand has a tiny tiny ding in the bezel that I have nfc how it got there... Kinda lame.

Post pics guys. Especially of bands. I'm a band addict. All sorts of materials. Usually the bands I buy are 20-80$. I'll post some later, everything from leather, plastic to nato

13335917_zoom_v1577258163516.jpg

• 1Like

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That's awesome on the poljot. I actually want to find that exact watch now. Pretty damn cool, what a steal at $25.

Watchmaking is pretty awesome. Would be a cool hobby to pickup. Seems like there's fewer and fewer master watchmakers. Today's automatic movements are amazing pieces of engineering and craftsmanship.

There's a few them listed on the local craiglist equivalent but they're pretty banged up. I can keep an eye out for another decent one. Do expect to pay around 100$ or more for one like mine.

Regarding the watchmaking part, not sure how far that's gonna go with my patience but it's still something I'd like to try.

Here's a few more that I've had, sold, and regretted after.

• 1Like