Watchmen

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Great ending. If they did not continue, that would be OK to leave on a high note. However, we know full well things do not go that way. Hopefully they don't fuck it up going forward.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Anyone else kind of wish Trieu had become Manhattan at the end? I think it would have made an interesting arc for a second season and she was certainly one of the most interesting characters this season. Was kind of a bummer to see her get snuffed out.

also that version of I am the Walrus is amazing.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Id be okay with this being a one and done. It would certainly be hard to one-up all of this. I do regret the whole Lady Trieu business but Bian is now a trillionaire orphan and could easily head down a number of interesting paths.

It would be slightly interesting to see Adrian go to trial and manage to walk free, but his company is gone and no one much cares about him anymore so there's no place interesting to go from there.

There are enough small hooks that someone could do a season 2, but I think we would be better off without it

I had to chuckle at the final Peteypedia entry.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Well, that's something you don't see everyday. I certainly enjoyed this season and hope that if they continue the show that it doesn't do a Westworld and fall off dramatically.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Great show, I would be down with seeing more. If not, I'm good with that as well..

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I think they achieved something remarkable with this show. I had less than Zero expectations in that I was pretty confident it was be fairly terrible.

They achieved the opposite. In retrospect, the entire Season 1 was truly the Hooded Justice origin story, and man was it well done. Im fine without a season 2.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I imagine it must be very hard to write a compelling script around a fan favorite, time traveling demigod. The old man vocalized what everyone was thinking, Manhattan could have done more. Then things start to click and we got one of the best single season endings in recent memory. Why he didn't stop anything makes complete sense within his own context.

I would definitely be interested in a second season but also wouldn't complain if this ends up being it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The best thing I can think of is "They didn't fuck it up". Not an amazing ending but considering what they created to get here it's good enough. Episodes 5-7 might be some of the best TV in years.

As of the moment there is no S2 and I'm not sure there could be one. At least not with this story and actors. Maybe something about Nite Owl?

Anyway, really really enjoyed this and I'm sure I'll re-watch these episodes a bunch as time goes on.

• 2Like

Goatface

i would guess about 90% chance of a 2nd season. while the reported live + same day ratings have been shit, they did grow some. HBO reported across all platforms and channels the 1st show had 9.6 million total viewers and the avg for the first 7 shows was 7.1 million per.
HBO also deemed it "premium cable’s most popular new series of 2019", which i don't think was that much of feat, only like 5 or so others, and Chernobyl doesn't count.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You all should listen to the latest Fatman beyond. Marc Bernardin interviews lindelof and it is pretty good.

Last edited:

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Meh. I found the ending pretty disappointing. Everything just kinda of felt small, characters were very black and white, good vs evil, no moral ambiguity, and most of them did very little. Still a pretty decent series. If they had nailed the ending it could have been something great, but I don't think they did.

'He could have done more'

Isn't that kind of the point of Dr. Manhattan's character? If that someone had that much power it would be impossible for them not to become disconnected and apathetic towards the world around him. It made that whole story line about stealing his powers, his powers being passed on, people judging him for not doing more fall completely flat.

The emotional impact of the final seemed to heavily rely on the relationship between Angela and Manhattan, which I thought was pretty underdeveloped so it didn't quite land for me.

Viedt getting knocked out with a wrench for comedic effect... and the idea that they're going to actually bring charges against a President who's been in power for decades or that they'll manage to get anything to stick to a guy who's so smart it's a legitimate superpower. It feels somewhat pointless.

I was just kinda left with the feeling of 'oh that's it?" when everything was said and done. It was really just about racist white people and someone who wanted to be a god. Very little moral ambiguity, it's just good vs bad.

Then again I am running on the assumption that the show is done and there won't be a season 2.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just wait till second season starts and you find out they have to go back to the island.

• 2Worf

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Wife liked it. Probably bc of blue/black penis. 5/7, would watch(men) again. That's what SHE said.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Really well done. I think they honestly have enough characters for a Season 2, either way the true ending goes. I don't think they need to do a Season 2 though, as I think it'd probably fall flat as so many big things happened in Season 1 that a time jump would be inevitable to get a story rolling as good as this one was. This essentially spanned over 100 years and at the LEAST, 30 years. You can't just go "oh yeah this was also happening the last X years and you never heard about it" for a Season 2.

Also, lol fake blue dong. Wonder if the dude didn't want to be nude in his contract or they were like "no, we have to go ridiculous so you're going to wear a faux-peen!"

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
I liked everything except the Dr. Manhattan/Angela stuff. Veidt stuff, Lady T, the Klan guys, all that shit was great. Even Angela's Vietnamese backstory and her grandpa stuff was great.

I don't really understand though why people say the Manhattan stuff made sense. I am not a Watchman expert, I have only watched the movie, but I thought the point that Alan Moore was making that once you become so powerful you stop caring about people or even humanity. This entire arc was reversing that, he cared and fell in love with Angela and then decided to xfer his powers to her because ?? and he doesn't think that'll cause any problems for her? Literally just letting his powers disappear would seem to be the "caring" thing to do instead of turning the person you love into a God. Wouldn't all the same shit that happened with him happen to her??? In 30 years is another short diminutive woman gonna try to steal Angela's powers? Is she immortal? There are literally a hundred ways Dr. M could have fucked off and left alone the people he "loved" to save them but he chooses to instead... die?

I really wanted to see Lady Trieu as a god. That mighta been cool, to have the reverse Manhattan who cares so much about humanity and keeps trying to make things better but constantly fucks things up. I suppose thats Manhattan's arc but I dunno, never read the comics and its just sorta implied in the show.

Veidt is fast enough to catch a bullet but can't see a dude swinging a wrench? Isn't Agent Laurie just as complicit covering up the 1985 squid attack, so she'll go to jail too? She definitely felt like a super throwaway character who didn't accomplish much or really need to be there at all.

Did they ever explain how Louis Gossett Jr is so old? 110 years old or something, I thought he was gonna be a clone or a splinter of Dr. Manhattan or something but no, he's just... old?

Parts of the show were really good, the mystery parts, but the finale was just ok, not amazing. I'd definitely watch season 2 but I wouldn't put the show in top 10 of any list right now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I just assumed that LGJ was being fed some sort of advanced longevity drugs while under Trieu's "care".

Anyway, impressive show. They could have royally fucked it up at a variety of points, but it managed to be satisfyingly unpredictable, compelling throughout, and the ending didn't suck. That's a rare combination.

Fadaar

That guy
Finale wasn't as amazing as I was expecting, but it wrapped up nicely. Could have definitely used one more episode I think, final one moved really really fast.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Of course he caught it...it was his one actual true feat of superhuman martial prowess!

watchmen-adrian-veidt-catches-bullet-606x960.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
2nd season will focus on the silver squid hero living in the sewers!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user