Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The SKYWARN network on amateur radio is full of traffic now and fully in gear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
update from my friend:

Florence is still fighting to fill with better convection on its southwest side but is failing to do so. I found the culprit which is a weak dying trough just to its west. This trough has failed to die and is still moving in from the southwest as weak mid-level flow rounds around that trough. It is not strong enough to kill or substantially weaken it but it is inhibiting it from getting much stronger. This shear should relax overnight and the storm may get a bit stronger but until then it will stay stuck as a category 4 storm.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
11PM update is showing what some of the models have been showing. A little southeastern turn when it gets near the coast.

i0ig6vgs2ql11.png

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's really looking like that thing is going to just dump a metric shitload of rain on the Carolinas

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Went to the grocery store earlier this morning to get some snacks and etc. Have already got the necessity like BEER ,water, bread, and etc. Place was packed had to park in a separate parking lot and walk pretty far.

Men are pretty universal when it comes to needs in an emergency, seeing them buy cases of beer is about right. I do have to give props to Publix though, they had plenty of water on pallets for people and all the registers were open, so I only waited about 5 mins in line to check out which did surprise me for how crowded the place was. I think the majority of businesses will be closed tomorrow.

Also, looks like the storm might makes a south bound turn right after landfall which won't be good for amount of rainfall, luckily where I live it doesn't flood much, but I am sure I will see it in and around the area.
Good thing I bought a nice Honda generator two years ago to run the refrigerators, freezers, and TV on encase the power goes out.

Everybody please be safe if you are going to be affected.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Test the generator today! I didn't test mine last winter and had a gummed up carburator and injector that could not be cleaned up. That was real fun sitting a week without any type of power.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm supposed to go in for a work conference in Charlotte NC tomorrow through Sunday. Is that a really bad idea?
I thought Charlotte was sufficiently inland to be spared from much more than heavy rain but after seeing the wind penis I'm concerned.

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Test the generator today! I didn't test mine last winter and had a gummed up carburator and injector that could not be cleaned up. That was real fun sitting a week without any type of power.

Generator runs like a champ, before I stored it I ran it out of fuel and I have only ever put non-ethanol fuel in it. It is getting harder and harder to find ethanol free gasoline.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

So I'm supposed to go in for a work conference in Charlotte NC tomorrow through Sunday. Is that a really bad idea?
I thought Charlotte was sufficiently inland to be spared from much more than heavy rain but after seeing the wind penis I'm concerned.
I would advise against it

florence_trop_storm_wind.jpg

• 1Like

Goatface

was in chapel hill when Fran hit, i know wind wrecked stuff at least to there.
remember some stuff happening west of there, but don't remember how bad
the area wasn't in the warning track, people from the coast came there and got their vehicles wrecked in the parking lots from all the falling trees.

one of my friends in disaster building repair has his teams waiting in Charlotte

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Milk is such a stupid emergency purchase if you lose power.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude, don't argue tradition and panic here. Now back to french toast!

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

We switched to an automatic gas generator so fridge and freezer stuff isn't a concern. It's more of how widespread is the outage and is my TV/internet service still working type of situation. But then I don't live in Florida, I live in civilization.

• 1Like

Araxen

It's crazy at how active the Atlantic is right now. The storm in the Gulf is going to get named too.

AAfTp4J.png

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Generator runs like a champ, before I stored it I ran it out of fuel and I have only ever put non-ethanol fuel in it. It is getting harder and harder to find ethanol free gasoline.

Mix sta-bil with the ethanol gas when you add it and it will last quite a while with on issues. I've done it and it lasted up to two years and would just add some fresher gas and more sta-bil with no issues and let it run every few months for a while. After you add sta-bil run whatever for a while to get it into the carb and then cut the gas off and let it die. Will be fine for quite a while to get the new gas/sta-bil into the carb. Each time you crank it let it run a while and cut the gas off to kill it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users