Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So I'm supposed to go in for a work conference in Charlotte NC tomorrow through Sunday. Is that a really bad idea?
I thought Charlotte was sufficiently inland to be spared from much more than heavy rain but after seeing the wind penis I'm concerned.

If you're not from hurricane country you have to realise even a smaller hurricane sends a gigantic ripple from the coast. Airlines like to have their planes moved sine they sit outside which impacts schedules over a pretty wide area. Hotels have to accomadate those that leave. Even a small hurricane people book hotels many hours away even if they never wind up getting there - just in case. Then there's gas distribution disruptions. Asking a million people to move out of town at once takes a gigantic amount of gasoline, especially if they wind up sitting in traffic at 10mph.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

earlier on tv was showing people are going to ride it out on some of the islands off NC
ferries stopped running around 12pm and officials said no one will come help them
seems they feared how long it would take to be able to come back

straight line, we are about 300 miles from NC coast, about 400 mile drive
local news been showing evacuees filling up local hotels and campsites

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
earlier on tv was showing people are going to ride it out on some of the islands off NC
ferries stopped running around 12pm and officials said no one will come help them
seems they feared how long it would take to be able to come back

straight line, we are about 300 miles from NC coast, about 400 mile drive
local news been showing evacuees filling up local hotels and campsites
when you got lashanda and jamarquaivious from wakanda beach stealing all the fucking weave and kapperdick sneakers while everyone is fleeing for their lives. it convinces you to stay and defend your home. plus we have americans who dont run from faggot storms the media says we cant handle.

BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
The storm in the Gulf is going to get named too.

AAfTp4J.png

Hurricane Gordon, yes?

Also, I'm in Richmond VA and so we're expected to get "hit". Looking at all these models, it shouldn't be heavy at all so that's good. I think the scariest part for the Carolinas is that its predicted to stall movement-wise once it hits land so it'll just be hovering above for hours on end, dumping bad shit all over the area for longer than usual.

My fondest hurricane memory was Gaston in 2004 here. We were in the eye for a bit and I actually went outside like an idiot and it actually felt really amazing, like taking an epic shower LoL... I'd do it again if it weren't for the danger of flying debris.

• 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Heh Vanessa I am in Richmond as well. Cool. Small damn world. Southside though. :)

Generator is ready. Solar panels are set. Batteries are charged. Hopefully ready.

• 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah I don't even like my own dick very much. That's why I choke it all the time.

I just thought it was neat. Small world and all.

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what is general generator care? make sure fuel is drained for storage or put stabilizer?
Hurricane Gordon, yes?

Also, I'm in Richmond VA and so we're expected to get "hit". Looking at all these models, it shouldn't be heavy at all so that's good. I think the scariest part for the Carolinas is that its predicted to stall movement-wise once it hits land so it'll just be hovering above for hours on end, dumping bad shit all over the area for longer than usual.

My fondest hurricane memory was Gaston in 2004 here. We were in the eye for a bit and I actually went outside like an idiot and it actually felt really amazing, like taking an epic shower LoL... I'd do it again if it weren't for the danger of flying debris.
what was the one in 2001? lost power for two days we were cooking in our fireplace!

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
when you got lashanda and jamarquaivious from wakanda beach stealing all the fucking weave and kapperdick sneakers while everyone is fleeing for their lives. it convinces you to stay and defend your home. plus we have americans who dont run from faggot storms the media says we cant handle.

BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg

Pretty much fuck the media (social and otherwise). I think literally every single hurricane that has made landfall for the past 5 years at least has been 3 weeks of "oh my god we've never seen anything this horrific, biggest hurricane ever, holy shit everyone is gonna die! category 17 650000000 inches of rain and 700mph winds for 3 days straight!" It's fucking ridiculous.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty much fuck the media (social and otherwise). I think literally every single hurricane that has made landfall for the past 5 years at least has been 3 weeks of "oh my god we've never seen anything this horrific, biggest hurricane ever, holy shit everyone is gonna die! category 17 650000000 inches of rain and 700mph winds for 3 days straight!" It's fucking ridiculous.

This one has seemed surprisingly UN-hyped to me.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This one has seemed surprisingly UN-hyped to me.
my weather channel app reminds me a few times a day that we are all going to die by Florence. NJ is not in the path of this storm, doesnt stop the app from continuing to urge me that i need to evacuate my house and find the nearest mountaintop with a cave to hide in. Hurricanes are no joke, but they arent the Apocalypse either. i think all this safety especially coming from the fake media has an opposite effect. they cry wolf so many times and everything is the worst that when the thing happens and you lost your shit for nothing. the next time you are less likely to take these warnings seriously.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah keep it filled at all times if you can help it and turn it on like twice a year to let the motor run.

Keep the tank as full as possible for storage, the less air in the tank, the less moisture that can move into the gas.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm in the Raleigh area and it looks like the famous Raleigh weather-dome (where every major storm rain or snow happens to everyone surrounding us) is in full effect. That being said it still looks like we're going to get a shit-ton of rain and will probably not have to go very far so see flooding effects. Flooding is no joke, ask people from Houston.

• 1Like