Weather

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/health/sutter-natural-disaster-hurricane-michael/index.html

Michael wasn't the largest storm on record. It hasn't produced the largest amount of devastation on record. Yet somehow it's "unnatural". Climate Alarmists are as intellecuatlly dishonest as Leftists (and often the same people).

Yeah, I'm totally onboard with Climate change being a serious issues, but by its very nature you can't just say a single event was caused by it. The exception being sea level encroachment which is undeniably linked to rising sea levels.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Unless we see a third year in a row of big cat 4 storms hitting the US next year, this is no different than 2004-2005.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In terms of normal storm patterns becoming irregular I'd point to places like Ellicott City, MD which got a historic storm and flood in 2016 then got hit with an even worse one here in 2018. Was hard to get any type of home contract work done this summer cause they were all booked to repair up there. Four nor'easters in March alone and the US East had the weirdest hot->wet->hot cycle through almost all of spring and summer (July being the exception which still baked with the rest of the northern hemisphere).

We'll see what happens this winter cause the past couple decades have pushed the rain-snow line ever north of us but recently we've also started getting the arctic cold fronts pushed down our way when the north pole heats up. Cue the old fashioned "we're due" for a few wet winters to coincide with those fronts and watch the entire DC metro area shut down worse than 2009-2010.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In terms of normal storm patterns becoming irregular I'd point to places like Ellicott City, MD which got a historic storm and flood in 2016 then got hit with an even worse one here in 2018. Was hard to get any type of home contract work done this summer cause they were all booked to repair up there. Four nor'easters in March alone and the US East had the weirdest hot->wet->hot cycle through almost all of spring and summer (July being the exception which still baked with the rest of the northern hemisphere).

We'll see what happens this winter cause the past couple decades have pushed the rain-snow line ever north of us but recently we've also started getting the arctic cold fronts pushed down our way when the north pole heats up. Cue the old fashioned "we're due" for a few wet winters to coincide with those fronts and watch the entire DC metro area shut down worse than 2009-2010.

Ellicott City is more of a failure of local government and development than weather. The area has always been prone to flooding, ergo a mill down with a river. The over development of green space so there is zero actual ground and trees to absorb the water up the hill, and an abysmal draining system to boot.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Trami from the ISS
HRbJt2F.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dad mentioned there was an ad in the paper for a condo auction in Panama city. Seems odd.

• 1Like

Borzak

He lost the bottom floor and the stairs, so he has to bring a ladder if he wents back into the house.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He lost the bottom floor and the stairs, so he has to bring a ladder if he wents back into the house.
naw, those beach houses are built like piers w/ those, you really don't have a "first floor"cuz the tide would come all the way up there anyway

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
naw, those beach houses are built like piers w/ those, you really don't have a "first floor"cuz the tide would come all the way up there anyway

Yup "first floor" ends up being a car port and storage for beach crap.

• 1Like

Borzak

They're everywhere like that on river here, just going by an interview I read earlier guy said he lost his first floor and the stairs.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i stayed in one for scarolina in a BnB, the disclaimer was you had to have a 4x4 car, cuz when you park underneath, i guess you sink. I knew we wouldn't have an issue w/ the subaru, my friend took a chance and she went w/ her honda. Good thing my boyscoutness had me buying a tow rope, before the trip, pulled her out the third day.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So not really getting much news traction, but the central texas area has had insane flooding the last few days.

Take a look at lake travis, which is the main water source for the surrounding area.

1539756886304.png

It's raised over 20 feet JUST TODAY. That is incredible.

All of the rain is slamming the lakes and rivers, flooding is epic.

And a stupid fucking bus driver drove around a barricade to avoid a low water crossing and is now facing up to 20 years in prison.

District: Leander bus driver arrested after driving into water

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So not really getting much news traction, but the central texas area has had insane flooding the last few days.

Take a look at lake travis, which is the main water source for the surrounding area.

View attachment 179481

It's raised over 20 feet JUST TODAY. That is incredible.

All of the rain is slamming the lakes and rivers, flooding is epic.

And a stupid fucking bus driver drove around a barricade to avoid a low water crossing and is now facing up to 20 years in prison.

District: Leander bus driver arrested after driving into water
Texas is hot and dry, you guys need water anyway.

• 1Like